New Queen Album "Forever"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by nesboy43, Sep 19, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DBMethos

DBMethos Forum Resident

So we went from "Made in Heaven 2" to 3 re-worked tracks and a bunch of stuff we already have...looks like Queen Productions is trying to undo all the goodwill that came about from the Rainbow release in the fastest possible way.

nesboy43 likes this.
  2. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

Not aimed at me I don't think, but the compilers have done a fantastic job of collecting some of the greatest ballads: 'Dear Friends', 'Nevermore', 'Lily Of The Valley', 'The World We Created' ... someone knows their Queen!

3. coffeetime

coffeetime Senior Member

Quite. Almost feels like 3 'new' tracks glommed onto a Best of Deep Cuts compilation.

Queen's Greatest Hits is unimpeachable. Greatest Hits II a worthy companion. GH 3 was awful, way too much unwanted filler. Then came Absolute Queen, a single disc best of that dropped way too much good stuff from GH1&2. Then Deep Cuts 1, 2 & 3 during the 2011 reissue campaign. Inessential if you have all of the albums but terrific stuff if you've only got GH 1&2. And now Forever. Just feels a little redundant to me, new tracks excepted which I've not properly heard yet.

On a different but related question: is Freddie's original version of I Was Born To Love You available on CD at all? The version on MIH is okay but isn't the energetic, joyful track I remember on the radio in my early teens.

4. Meanwhile, John Deacon sits back quietly and lets the money roll in...He's got it made! :agree:

5. DBMethos

DBMethos Forum Resident

Sure is...you can get it on the original "Mr. Bad Guy" CBS release, the Solo Collection, or the "Love of Life, Singer of Songs" comp.

Captain Groovy likes this.
  6. coffeetime

coffeetime Senior Member

Much obliged. Granted I've not looked too hard, but every time I hear the Queen version on MIH I have a longing to hear and own the original.

7. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Hopefully there's more here than meets the eye, i.e. the "new takes" comment is real and applies to a lot of the otherwise well known tracks beyond the three "new" songs.

It appears we don't get the Andy Gibb tracks, or the Rick Astley ones, and only one Michael Jackson song. I am really not sure that's a negative, to be honest. But if this is mostly just deep cuts and a few pieces of collector bait, it's a letdown for sure.

The Queen discography is hardly vast enough that we need yet another compilation of deep cuts...

8. Disappointed, I expected more. There are still unreleased songs left, which I expected by Brian's initial description of the album, as a "true Queen ballad album".
    No "Face it Alone", no "I Guess We're Falling Out", no "Self Made Man", no "Silver Salmon", no "Dog With a Bone", no "Gran Dame", no "Affairs", no "Cool Cat ft. David Bowie", and I can go on.
    Just a lot of already released tracks. I might get the vinyl for the nice cover, if they even release that (only CD announced ATM), but a big disappointment over what I thought "Queen Forever" would be...

9. The Cover is a little strange, looks like a Map of South America and Freddie and John are from 1981, and Brian and Roger from 1976. Like the track listing, it could've better.

10. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

New album? This just looks like another compilation.

Huck Caton likes this.
  11. As well, Cool Cat with Bowie would've fit the "theme" of the duets.

12. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

Ah thank you. By the way, not to nitpick :), the Virgin/EMI brand won't fully suit the original catalogue: many original Queen releases were on Parlophone IIRC. That label is now owned by Warners.

13. I would have preferred a full "Made In Heaven" type album using the various outtakes from just The Miracle and Innuendo alone, since there are more than enough leftovers already circulating along with others we probably don't know about... if Brian, Roger and John (with some input from David Richards) could assemble an entire project using two genuine tracks recorded in 1991, various reworked older songs plus a handful of fragments, there's no reason why Forever had to be a compromise. However, the biggest problem for me is that the two remaining members of Queen have chosen to have its three most important additions played nearly two months before the album's release, which has already backfired since they're already circulating online. Sure, there's a possibility the version of Play The Game being included might prove yet another valuable jewel, but even if it does feature the long rumoured Andy Gibb duet, didn't he just sing the first verse? I really don't get the point of this whole project, and coming after the Rainbow set it's a major disappointment - let's hope more effort is put into a release of the Hammersmith 1979 concert, assuming this will ever see the light of day in the first place, that is!

14. Good news: The Orbit remix is up on YouTube, and MJ is there. Though it's not Freddie Mercury + Michael Jackson, but Queen + Michael Jackson (Brian with his Red Special is in it, and I wouldn't be surprised if Roger Taylor is doing the drums)

15. CrashU

CrashU Forum Resident

boring, very boring and tedious.
    Sadly, both artists are incredibly charismatic, but this duo faded.

16. nesboy43

nesboy43 Forum Resident Thread Starter

That leaked State of Shock isn't the real deal. Someone had access to different multis and made it, same with There Most Be More To Life, both the duet versions online are fan made.

Don't blame the artists, blame the new production, why they couldn't include the original version is beyond me. I thought Jackson's Estate were the only idiots stupid enough to rework his music, but guess I was wrong.

17. Helmut

Helmut Well-Known Member

What do you expect? All these "new" songs were rated as not good enough for release when they were done. So they don't get better by just lying around for 30 years. This stuff has mainly "historical value" and is just a nice encore.
    And those often named songs like "Dog with a bone" or "self made man" are even less satisfying. You can't turn this stuff into a new Bohemian Rhapsody........

shaboo and Shak Cohen like this.
  18. Didn't they play TMBMTL on BBC Radio 2 this morning? All the uploads of this version of the song are from today, which would make sense if people recorded it (hence the quicker fade-out).

19. nesboy43

nesboy43 Forum Resident Thread Starter

You realize there have been versions of this around since the early 2000s right?

20. duggan

duggan Senior Member

I love press releases.

This one made me laugh out loud.

21. ginchopolis

ginchopolis Forum Resident

Did you see this?

Simon A likes this.
  22. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

In a perfect world the new tracks would've been added to a useful compilation made up of b-sides and the other relevant stuff that appeared on those pointless ep's that came with the remasters a couple of years back.
    Instead we get the foremost thing the world could do without... A new Queen retrospective.

23. vinylman

vinylman Senior Member

And, of course, the rather magnificent box set.

24. vinylman

vinylman Senior Member

Sadly, David Richards hasn't been with us for some time.

25. ZAck Scott

ZAck Scott Senior Member

As a life long Queen fan, Listening to the three new cuts and seeing this playlist, I, reluctantly will have to pass on this one. The new songs are really lackluster and the rest of the songs I have already. I bit for "Queen Rocks" for the new Queen song that was just OK but that was 15 years ago and I am older and wiser now. Don't get me wrong, I still love Queen and LOVE the "at the Rainbow" release. Hopefully they will go into the vaults some more and release more classic concerts.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.