Jimi Hendrix's 'The Cry of Love' and 'Rainbow Bridge' Treated to Reissues

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Crazyhorse11, Aug 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Naughty Chord

Naughty Chord Hole in my Socrates

One of my favorite Hendrix ditties. I'd love to hear the unedited version. I suppose a google search is in order. :angel:

2. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Me!! I'd like to request Mr. Grundman to remaster it too.

I know it is a frankenstein compilation but it was my first Hendrix tape and first exposure to his live work. I also LOVE the album cover, which some of you may recall was my avatar for a quite some time at one point.

RiRiIII, UMO, BIG ED and 1 other person like this.
  3. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

I played the heck out of that on lp and then got a copy on cd with the bonus track when it was released. Most of the tracks on this have since been released in other places but it still has some Royal Albert Hall cuts that have not been officially released anywhere else, including the great versions of Stone Free and Bleeding Heart.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2014
    BIG ED, EVOLVIST and JeffMo like this.
  4. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

"(')%%#!.......10 threads currently on that other band on the front page.. Sickening...

Big Ed your welcome here!

dee, BIG ED, EVOLVIST and 2 others like this.
  5. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

That is the same reason Soundtrack Recordings From The Film Jimi Hendrix has a special place for me. It was the first Hendrix album and one of the very first albums I ever bought. It also had some great live Hendrix tracks on it.

KipB, JeffMo, BIG ED and 1 other person like this.
  6. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

Finally got mine today!!! gonna spin em both tonight.

EVOLVIST likes this.
  7. I don't know how the VHS tape of this ended up in my house (there wasn't any Hendrix fans in my family), but I was about 8 years old when I first popped this in and watched. My first real experience with Jimi Hendrix.

I wish I could say it was an epiphany for me, but I just kinda grooved to it and wouldn't get blown away by Jimi until I bought EL when I was about 15. I rolled a number, put on my headphones and my mind fell out of space. I would never be the same again.

8. old school

old school Senior Member

Oh yes the good old days. I did the same thing in 1968 when Electric Ladyland came out!

MoonPool, BIG ED, davers and 2 others like this.
  9. old school

old school Senior Member

Oh reb what would we do without that great sense of humor LOL......

reb and John Fell like this.
  10. BIG ED

BIG ED Forum Resident

JJ
    You actually think "Pali Gap" is a "lamer" title than "Slow Part"?!?!
    JJ

Last edited: Sep 19, 2014
    Naughty Chord and dino77 like this.
  11. carlygtr56

carlygtr56 Active Member

Long time collector. I've never heard an unedited version

John Fell likes this.
  12. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

I have a lot of Hendrix bootlegs and I have never heard it.

13. BIG ED

BIG ED Forum Resident

Again, "i" would say the surprise wasn't that Bernie couldn't pull it off; it was would "EH/Sony" allow it.
    Good news came with the release of "Valleys of Neptune" 20-10 DR#13 [for vinyl] w/the "Target" CD bonus tracks sounding better than those tracks previously on ceedee by "EH/Dagger".
    That was good news, in general, for the entire future Hendrix catalog and 'Winterland' 20-11 w/DR#'s of 12 & 13 came though].

"Miami Pop Festival" & "People, Hell & Angles" both from 20-13 had a DR#1o for CD; so what was your take on "Grundmans (previous) record [pardon the pun] regard(ing) Hendrix is exemplary"?

reb likes this.
  14. BIG ED

BIG ED Forum Resident

PersonalizED:
    &
    Shoot, you guys make me lOOk badd [not hard too do] & feel badd [hard too do]; me 1st listen too "Smash Hits" i fell in luv & i was STRAIGHT! :faint:
    [well/i mean/i am still "straight" :uhhuh: ]

EVOLVIST and old school like this.
  15. Haha! Too funny. Well, i don't smoke anymore, but i had my day or two. Nowadays I'd rather listen to my music sober, anyway. Still, those teenaged daze forever colored my perception...and Jimi held the paintbrush. Ya know what I'm saying?

Btw, good post on the previous Grundman mastering. I have a feeling, though, that we won't see the core catalog remastered anytime soon, until they decided to do deluxe editions. It's a shame, but we'll wait...and EH will get paid.

old school, BIG ED and gsmile like this.
  16. TeddyB

TeddyB Senior Member

I remember well discussing that point with Alan Douglas.

17. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

Ok, it's past 1:00 am, I just took a break from music and a few games of pool to take a walk down by the river to clear my mind, it is a beautiful night, crystal clear sky and mid 60's with a nice breeze.

My system has been warming up all night with Rolling Stones ABKCO re-masters playing on the CD player in my main rig.

On return from my walk I just spun 2 of my fav reference CD's, Lou Reed Transformer and Dylan Nashville Skyline to reacclimatize my ears to my system after my walk.

I've been waiting for this a long time folks. I'm in the perfect mood for this.

First up will by Cry Of Love on Reprise 2034-2, next will be Polydor 847 242-2, then the new re-master. No vinyl tonight.

I'm really hoping this new CD brings it home in spades, I really don't care for either of the 2 earlier CD's I have.

Update to follow.

:cool: :love::love::love: :cool:

texron, jhm, Purple Jim and 2 others like this.
  18. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

Yes, Concerts would be a great idea. One of my first ever Hendrix purchase that I played to death (I recall the record store employee, after I asked him if this brand new release had arrived at their store, he wondered if the recordings were from Jimi's Concerts in Greece...).

19. Doctor Flang

Doctor Flang Forum Resident

I wouldn't call Concerts a "frankenstein compilation". It had a few edits and fake-applause (which i hate) and tons of reverb, for sure, but no overdubs or flown-in parts. The cover painting is beautiful. And the sleevenotes were nice, far better than anything on the later Douglas albums.

Jam757, EVOLVIST and dino77 like this.
  20. dino77

dino77 Forum Resident

Exactly. There's nothing Frankenstein about it except some fake applause etc. I think the reverb adds a lot to it - Little Wing is particular sounds fantastic. Nothing wrong with a little polishing of dry soundboard recordings.

21. Doctor Flang

Doctor Flang Forum Resident

Actually, they were multitrack recordings, not soundboards.

old school and BIG ED like this.
  22. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

I think the reverb that Douglas added worked quite well also because it gave the feel of the band's sound filling the entire hall, as if you are there at the gig.

old school and dino77 like this.
  23. dino77

dino77 Forum Resident

Well, dry multitracks then.

EVOLVIST and Doctor Flang like this.
  24. dino77

dino77 Forum Resident

Never. Pretty sure the full jam has never left the tape vault.

25. Okay, now I'm gonna go have to find my Concerts CD and play that tomorrow. It's been a long while.

I was nosing around and found Lifelines, but alas, it's on cassette and I no longer have a deck. But I DID find my Voodoo Soup CD. Haha! Yuck!

Nothing like these new reissues. :)

BIG ED likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.