Audio Note UK Oto Line SE arrives ...

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by raferx, Sep 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. raferx

raferx Forum Resident Thread Starter

Yes, I know, my First World Problems right?
    Ha, yes the Jinro would be tough to fit, almost impossible in my living room!
    I'm using the 8-ohm tap.
    I'm going to start 'rolling in a month or so I figure... now, off to buy another butcher block for the interim!

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

See my post just above yours. I'm having second thoughts about your situation...

3. IanL

IanL Senior Member

Raferx, sweet looking amp! While you were talking with Soundhounds, did they ever mention if this Oto was suitable for driving Harbeth C-7es3 speakers as well? It seems like too few watts, but if it works with the M30.1s, it seems like it may work with the C7s as well.

4. raferx

Thanks for the advice Steve. I appreciate it.
    When the time comes to start thinking about tube rolling, I'll hop back on the forum and start another thread in regards to your suggestion.
    Cheers!

Steve Hoffman likes this.
  5. raferx

Two of the owners use this same amp (one an older SE, the other an older PP version) to drive Harbeth P3ESRs in their home systems, and the P3s are even less efficient than the Compact-7s.
    They swear by that combo, and it was at their urging that I even demoed Audio Note with Harbeth to begin with.
    I'm so glad I did.

6. rbp

rbp Forum Resident

Cooked meat smell when the Oto warms up.

7. octaneTom

octaneTom Man of Leisure

That's really interesting... I've found since switching to the DV20X2L my 35watt Primaluna el34 amp is just about maxed out to achieve room-shaking volume with my C7s. I do know the Jolida isn't bringing the signal up to digital levels, my digital volume gets a LOT louder, but if I up the gain on the Jolida to the next dip switch I can barely get the Prologue past 10'oclock and I get some hum/hiss, so that's definitely overloading the integrated's pre. Wonder if a different phono pre would yield better results if your very similar system is working so well w/ only 10watts

8. norman_frappe

norman_frappe Forum Resident

Do you use the high output rca's? I also have the jolida and primaluna and i find there is tons of gain. but my speakers are 89 dB efficient so that might explain it.

9. octaneTom

octaneTom Man of Leisure

I don't want to derail this thread - yeah I use the HI Outs, as I've read the low outs use a low quality pot to bring the gain down on the lows. I'm sort of...in between gain settings w/ the DV20x2L KAB calc says 61db gain for .3 cartridge... I'm running HIs at the quoted 70db and seems ABOUT right. Next dip switch at 85db - seems way too much. Wondering how accurate that setting info really is...

10. norman_frappe

Let's try to make it somewhat relevant to both of you if we can shall we. Octane and Raf. Do you each know how loud you listen in terms of decibels from your listening area? That might explain lot and be an interesting comparison. Octane it sounds like you might be maxing out the amp and putting it into clipping if you're listening at loudish levels with that particular cart. I recently got a sound pressure meter and it was pretty interesting to see what levels I was listening at different positions on the volume dial. For example at 50 dB or so the bass was really weak. But turn it up to 80 to 85dB and it was completely different much fuller and I could start to actually physically feel it.

I'm assuming that Raf does not listen very loud levels cause with only 10 W loud levels would produce lots of distortion with those speakers I'm guessing. Understanding exactly how loud you listen will give you insights into how powerful an amp you need to avoid clipping.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2014
    jupiterboy likes this.
  11. raferx

Well, with only several hours on the amp and new interconnects, they sound is starting to open up already.
    This amplifier has bags of synergy, especially noticeable after swapping out my DH Labs Pro Studio ICs for the Audio Note Lexus cabling.
    Incredibly clean, powerful sound with tonality, timbre, 3D-soundstage and tight, controlled bass to die for.
    To crank the Oto past 11 o'clock on the volume pot (and ohhhh, what an incredibly smooth and solid volume pot!) in my living room with my M30.1s would have the police over...
    The amount of weight and heft that the M30.1s deliver during listening – even at low/moderate volume levels – is palpable.
    You feel the music. It's hard to describe, but LP performances take on a real, living presence.
    The Oto is unlike any solid state amp I've had paired to these Harbeths (or my previous P3ESR's) and there have been several; including a Sugden A21SE, Lavardin Reference IS, Blue Circle CS and a Peachtree Nova 125.
    Audio Note produces very special gear, you really have to hear them to understand, and a lot of the audiophile jargon doesn't really apply.

norman_frappe likes this.
  12. raferx

I'm also going to add that pairing the Oto SE with my Sutherland Ph3D phono stage (solid state, battery-powered) is producing an incredibly transparent musical landscape.
    The terrain of every note is laid bare. The Ph3D seems to be adding nothing to what the amp is pulling from the grooves, which is, I guess, the whole point.
    I can't (IMHO) underline enough the importance of amplification to the music reproduction chain. I know there are some who pooh-pooh the idea that an amp can make a difference, I am firmly not in that camp.

13. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

The PhD has a great midrange. One of the best out there.

raferx likes this.
  14. raferx

It's humbling to have such an emotional response to music, but this amplifier is just so capable at bringing you the connection to the artist.

jupiterboy likes this.
  15. norman_frappe

And dead quiet from what I remember

16. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

Now you know why people mention tube watts immediately before being scolded and told that watts are watts. After you have had some time with the amp, you should write up a good comparison as you were absolutely thrilled with the solid state amps you had previously. You might also consider that there are many capable tube amps out there with different strengths and nuances. Sounds like you are totally seduced. I was when I heard my first valve amp.

As posted above, take an SPL reading at some point and let people know at what level you listen and how that works out on your volume pot. My take on tube amps is that the wattage stated is highly correlated with the noise level they want to state in their specs.

norman_frappe likes this.
  17. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

Same problem I have with my Modwright.....damn thing is so big it won't fit in the rack.
    But I knew that going .
    Need to figure out a solution but have been too busy listening.
    Enjoy the AN.

raferx likes this.
  18. raferx

I did a comparison write-up between the Oto and the Sugden A21SE back in late May when I did the head-to-head and ordered the Oto based on the outcome.
    I have been very happy with my amplifier upgrades over the past two years, each being a significant step up from the previous one. I will post more on the Oto in the days and weeks to come as the amp and new ICs get broken-in.

I downloaded a few different dB/SPL meters for my iPhone 5S, and they seem to work pretty great. I'll take some measurements tomorrow while listening at various positions on the volume pot and post the results.

jupiterboy and norman_frappe like this.
  19. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Nice story - a pretty amp.

raferx likes this.
  20. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

Beautiful, best of luck with it...

raferx likes this.
  21. IanL

IanL Senior Member

Thanks for your comments. Between the threads you and Steve have posted I am certainly intrigued by Audio Note.

raferx likes this.
  22. The Good Guy

The Good Guy Forum Resident

Enjoy the amp. You have superb equipment .

raferx likes this.
  23. raferx

Audio Note is one of those companies that once you experience it, it is difficult to stop thinking about it (or listening to it).
    They just do music right.
    Synergy with your components is integral to getting the most out of it, but if you have the gear that clicks, you'll probably get off the audiophile merry-go-round for good.

24. raferx

Thank you very much for the kind words my friend.

25. raferx

Sourced a 25lb solid Maple butcher block today and threw some Vibrapod No. 4s under it... this amp responds very well to good isolation: background blackened-up even more (which is amazing considering how dead-quiet this amp is), and instruments/voices on the sound stage seemed to lock into position even more. I've ordered some more Vibrapods, and Vibrapod Cones for my phono stage, and the amplifier as well.

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.