Which Genesis albums do you own?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Andrew T., Sep 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OneStepBeyond

OneStepBeyond Senior Member

I ticked everything up to and including CAS (except for the Buddah 'compilation' - which of course, isn't.) I've at least one copy or variant of each each album on CD and/or LP and in a lot of cases, 3... plus many 7 & 12" singles and some DVDs. Also I've got a lot of the solo albums - around 25 in total.

So you can see I'd certainly call myself a fan and they are and have been in my top 5 artists since the late 80s when I got into them big-time and went nuts for buying all their albums... I was listening to them more than probably any other artist(s). If I still had everything I've ever owned by them (like the singles I once had and different versions of the CDs and LPs and cassettes too... not to mention books and magazines) then I'd have approaching 100 Genesis items today.

I should really have the Archive sets then - there's no excuse for me missing them out!! :D

Shak Cohen likes this.
  2. HectorBoeksky

HectorBoeksky Forum Resident

I have them all. Multiple copies. Multiple formats.

I'm THAT guy.

Shak Cohen likes this.
  3. Frippwire

Frippwire Well-Known Member

From the provided list I could check them all off except for Platinum Collection.

4. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Everything but the hits collections and I Can't Dance

5. Apesbrain

Apesbrain Forum Resident

Nice to see the love here for The Lamb. I have to admit it took a while to grow on me given how different it was from and how much I loved Nursery Cryme, Foxtrot and Selling England. Saw them twice while Peter was in the band: Princeton in '73 and Albany in '74.

BTW, there is a wonderful live version of The Lamb in the "Genesis Archive 1967-75" box.

6. audioguy3107

audioguy3107 Forum Resident

Everything on vinyl up to the Peter Gabriel departure, including Classic Records of Lamb and Selling England. I really love their debut...one of my favorites. For some reason I've always had something against Phil Collins, not sure why, maybe overexposure growing up in the 80's or something.

- Buck

7. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

The first six studio albums

8. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

Got em all through S/T.
    Do any of the recent "hits" compilations have good sound or do they use the 94 remasters?

9. Dukes Travels

Dukes Travels Forum Resident

All of them, minus the studio compilations.
    Multiple copies, vinyl, CD, remastered.
    Hell if I ever see 8 tracks I'll probably buy them.
    My purchases also earn Jonathon King a living :D

10. gabbleratchet7

gabbleratchet7 Forum Resident

Have them all on CD (for most all three masterings) and of the original titles all but the first and last studio albums on vinyl.

11. Dukes Travels

I would say the Lamb stuff is the least essential part of it. Re-recorded vocals and all that malarky. It doesnt sound that great to me. Defintley good for those un-remastered b-sides that were butchered later on.

OneStepBeyond likes this.
  12. Dukes Travels

Just noticed the results for We Cant Dance.
    Shame. If one ignores the singles on there, you guys are missing out on a some great tracks. Driving The Last Spike is one of the best songs they have done.

AndyNicks and OneStepBeyond like this.
  13. bcaulf

bcaulf Forum Resident

I used to be a big Genesis fan and bought every album from "Trespass" to "Invisible Touch" excluding live and compilation albums. I've been getting into them a little bit and now I'm looking into getting older CD versions of these albums, as well as "We Can't Dance". Though this forum is no slouch when it comes to different Genesis masterings ;)

14. Ronnie Potchie

Ronnie Potchie Forum Resident

I like the progressive rock years from Gabriel but still do not own these.
    Love ...And Then There Were Three...
    Have every studio cd from 1978 to Calling All Stations 1997 ?
    Got the Phil Collins archive box set just for that version of paperlate ( not the compressed version thats on one of the greatist hits cd from the 2000's).

15. My Genesis collection is limited to the entire Gabriel/Hackett line-up output.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2014
  16. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

From Genesis to Revelation
    Calling All Stations

17. OneStepBeyond

OneStepBeyond Senior Member

And to be honest, The Lamb album is the least interesting to me these days. :hide: I used to love it but listen to it very 'sparingly' these days.

But as you say, there are a good few bits and bobs that I really am missing out on without it/them... even though I have a lot of singles etc, I don't have everything. :)

18. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

I've got all the albums (including "live" ones) from 1970 - 1991. I don't have the Spot the Pigeon EP yet ("Inside and Out" is on the b-side of the "Follow You, Follow Me" 45 single that I have though).

19. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

Now that's a highly original selection.

Shak Cohen likes this.
  20. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

I have the first two box sets of SACDs, plus the "Genensis" SACD and "Three Sides Live" on CD.

21. marke

marke Forum Resident

I have 13 of the studio albums, Genesis Live and no compilations.

22. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

I picked up Trespass & The Lamb Lies Down On Brodway both German vinyl pressings not much bass in tbe mastering. Is this how their supposed to sound ? Not interested in post Gabriel (yet). Does Gabriel/Genesis sound better on cd? Also roughly the same time peroid what about Peter Hammill ..best source ?

23. BuddhaBob

BuddhaBob Forum Resident

I have very nice copies of Nursery Cryme, Invisible Touch and Abacab. I have more Peter Gabriel than Genesis, not sure why as I don't mind Phil C (maybe except for Sussudio).

24. Shak Cohen

Shak Cohen Forum Resident

Turn It On Again The Hits is a must have CD IMO. You can get it dirt cheap these days.
    Neat resume of mainly Phil-era hits, with Congo from CAS included, and I Know What I Like and Carpet Crawlers '99 gives a little Gabriel coverage too.
    Best of all, the SQ is sweet and dynamic, without the loud, brickwalled, compression of The Platinum Collection or the 2-CD tour edition that came out in 2007.

25. Rodney Toady

Rodney Toady Waste of cyberspace

Apart from few odd compilations, I suppose I have all officially released Genesis albums, both studio and live. I'm a big fan of everything up to and including Duke, although I must say that my enthusiasm for The Lamb has waned considerably during the last 25 years or so. From Abacab onwards my Genesis ride gets somewhat bumpier, but I can still get a lot of enjoyment out of each subsequent album of which the last two are the most satisfying in my opinion.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.