Chuck Prophet recording new album, planned for Fall release

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Laibach, May 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. windfall

windfall Senior Member

Ha ha! This whole handle/avatar thing is a bit weird sometimes! Thanks for the good wishes on the book. Not expecting to be flying up the amazon bestseller lists but still...

I agree on the Temple with Strings DVD. A couple of years ago he had a live album recorded in London (LRF tour) ready to go and then just binned it. He's very wary about live albums. I guess you have Homemade Boot? I think it is an incredible snapshot of that era and it sounds excellent. I wonder if it's multitrack? But it's also a bit of an object lesson in how to wreck your vocal chords. He doesn't ever stint on the vocals. A couple of years ago he did two shows pretty much back to back in Winchester and the next morning I drove him to London for a radio session with Cerys Matthews, and his voice was really shot.

The other live one, ...Pigeons..., I believe was a bit of contract filler and I don't think it's a particularly good reflection of that tour. When he played London that time around, I remember an audience fairly evenly divided between the devoted and the curious. And by the end of the gig I wouldn't have been surprised if they had carried him on their shoulders out into the streets and paraded him around the city proclaiming him the new king of rock'n'roll. :)

Back to Temple w Strings... I can see why they might want to try the festival circuit with it first. So there is still a chance we might get a DVD, if it's not left too long. Chuck has never really been one to look back.

neilpatto likes this.
  2. neilpatto

neilpatto Forum Resident

Windfall, once again I find myself in complete agreement, Homemade Boot is a great show (I'm guessing radio broadcast stereo rather than multi-track), but the Pigeon live album doesn't come close to capturing the glory of the Hurting Business tour, Chuck was a man possessed! That year's Leeds show remains one of my all-time favourites, a great band, amazing setlist, and a frontman stepping up to a new level. Whatever happened to Elvez?

NP

melstapler likes this.
  3. windfall

windfall Senior Member

Looks like he's still out there!
    http://www.elvez.net/

I call the HB tour the high on cough medicine tour, which he was, at least by the time he got to London. Although he was completely clean otherwise by then... except the cigarettes. I think that took a couple more years.

4. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

Chuck is a very decent guy too. I met him once (at his show) and he did something very kind. There was a studio album he made with Paul Collins from The Nerves/The Beat during the 1990s, which contained Chuck with members of Chris Isaak's band. was released by Sony. It was when Collins made the switch from rock to country-rock/Americana. I could never find it in stores, although people living in the bay area were able to find copies now and then. Regardless, I asked Chuck if he could send me a copy. He asked for my mailing address and I didn't hear anything from him until about a month later, when he sent me a note with a package containing the album on CD! Most artists would never go to the trouble. There's something about Chuck's music and his ability to connect with the audience. Although it's Chuck's art, he has a way of making the fans/listeners feel as though they're part of the equation. Kind of like a family farm. Not to mention, he's a great guitarist!

5. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

I'd do something radical if Green On Red would do a reunion with Chuck. He seems pretty positive about the band, but I'm wondering how likely it would be?

6. harmonica98

harmonica98 Senior Member

Great story above melstapler.

Green On Red did a couple of reunion shows with Chuck in 2006 - I saw the one in London and it was outstanding. I guess everyone is off doing their own thing again, but I wouldn't rule out further shows in the future.

7. neilpatto

neilpatto Forum Resident

Of course I'd happily go see Green On Red again for fun, but it would be hard to recapture the ragged glory of those 80's shows, an awful lot has changed since those days!

I'd be more interested to put Chuck & Dan in a room with a couple of guitars & a beatbox and tell them to write some songs. I'm not really sure if that could ever happen, but it would be interesting to hear. Better still, get them to record the results out in the desert with the Calexico boys!

[I don't know where that thought came from but you know, it could work...]

NP

8. JoeRockhead

JoeRockhead Forum Resident

I was blown away by the Temple with strings show in NYC in June. I can't say I'd want to see a Green on Red reunion tour or album. Id like to see one of these Escovedo collaborations be a duo album instead of just Chuck helping him out with an Alejandro album.

Anyone going to the Brooklyn show in November?

9. sixelsix

sixelsix Forum Resident

Yep. Although I gotta say I LOVE that Alejandro album. (Real Animal.)
    Nuns' Song is still overwhelming.

ralphb likes this.
  10. neilpatto

neilpatto Forum Resident

You're right, it's a great set of songs, a brilliant album. Tony Visconti did a good job too, letting the rock songs really kick out with live energy, and giving texture to the more reflective numbers.

From my perspective this collaboration seemed to signal a fresh start for Chuck. To me his writing and recording has been much more direct since then, often going back to what made him pick up the guitar in the first place (that classic bass, drums & two guitars garage band vibe).

Damn, I can't wait for the new album!

NP

windfall and JoeRockhead like this.
  11. windfall

windfall Senior Member

I think you're right on homemade boot ... Probably a pre-FM. I love the reworked Tune of an Evening. Stephie's voice just soars on her verse (Listen to "swung out on a swing"). I remember chuck once saying it's stephie who is the REAL musician. Typically self-deprecating but there's some truth there too!

12. windfall

windfall Senior Member

Lovely idea but can't imagine it happening, for management reasons if nothing else.

13. windfall

windfall Senior Member

Lovely story and typical of Chuck.
    I've supplied him with various boots and things over the years. One year, at the request of the band, I burned the whole Beatles anthology DVD documentary thing, multiple discs. They were over the moon. Then clearing out the van the next day Kevin the bassist accidentally threw the padded envelope in the trash in an over zealous clean out. He was heartbroken. I duly burned a new set and delivered them at another gig a couple of days later. :) kept them going all through Europe ...

melstapler likes this.
  14. windfall

windfall Senior Member

15. Laibach

Laibach Forum Resident Thread Starter

melstapler and windfall like this.
  16. wdp33

wdp33 Forum Resident

Really good stuff.

17. windfall

windfall Senior Member

Any of the select few of Prophet fans pick this up yet? I've written a full length review but am trying to get it placed somewhere in press or online, so should probably hold back on posting it here.

My own favourite from the album (close run thing with several others)...

Tom Petty, much as I still love him, would kill for a chorus like that these days.

RiRiIII, Laibach and neilpatto like this.
  18. Doctorwu

Doctorwu Senior Member

What an awesome album, killer songs, my favorite 2014 release so far.

Laibach, neilpatto and windfall like this.
  19. windfall

windfall Senior Member

Check this out as a touring schedule. Crazy.

DATEVENUE            LOCATIONDETAILSTICKETS
    Fri Oct 03Make Out RoomSan FranciscoCA USA Chuck Prophet & The Mission Express. Tickets $15. Doors at 7:00 PM. Show at 7:30 PM.
    Sat Oct 04Make Out RoomSan FranciscoCAUSA Chuck Prophet & The Mission Express. Tickets $15. Doors at 7:00 PM. Show at 7:30 PM.
    Sun Oct 05Hardly Strictly Bluegrass
    Golden Gate ParkSan Francisco CAUSA Chuck Prophet & Mission Express. Tickets FREE. Doors at 12:00 PM. Show at 2:30 PM.
    performing ‘Temple Beautiful’ with Strings
    Tue Oct 07Gebaude 9KolnGermany Chuck Prophet and the Mission Express. Jonah Tolchin supports. BUY TIX
    Wed Oct 08La JavaParisFrance Chuck Prophet & the Mission Express. Jonah Tolchin supports. BUY TIX
    Thu Oct 09The HauntBrightonUnited Kingdom Chuck Prophet & the Mission Express. Jonah Tolchin supports. BUY TIX
    Fri Oct 10The Arts Bar
    Formerly The BullingdonOxfordUnited Kingdom Chuck Prophet & the Mission Express. Jonah Tolchin supports. BUY TIX
    Sat Oct 11The Deaf InstituteManchesterUnited Kingdom Chuck Prophet & the Mission Express. Jonah Tolchin supports.
    Sun Oct 12The RailwayWinchesterUnited Kingdom Chuck Prophet & the Mission Express. Jonah Tolchin supports. BUY TIX
    Mon Oct 13The TunnelsBristolUnited Kingdom Chuck Prophet and the Mission Express. Jonah Tolchin supports. BUY TIX
    Tue Oct 14Bush HallLondonUnited Kingdom Chuck Prophet & the Mission Express. Jonah Tolchin supports. Tickets £17.50. Show at 8:00 PM. BUY TIX
    Wed Oct 15The Trades ClubHebden BridgeUnited Kingdom Chuck Prophet & the Mission Express. Jonah Tolchin supports.
    Thu Oct 16Workmans ClubDublinIreland Chuck Prophet & the Mission Express. Jonah Tolchin opens.
    Fri Oct 17Cleere’sKilkenny Ireland Chuck Prophet and the Mission Express. Jonah Tolchin opens.
    Sat Oct 18Real Music ClubBelfastUnited Kingdom Chuck Prophet & the Mission Express. Jonah Tolchin opens.
    Sun Oct 19Oran MorGlasgowUnited Kingdom Chuck Prophet & the Mission Express. Jonah Tolchin opens.
    Mon Oct 20OobleckBirminghamUnited Kingdom Chuck Prophet & the Mission Express. Jonah Tolchin opens. BUY TIX
    Wed Oct 22The Rescue RoomsNottinghamUnited Kingdom Chuck Prophet & the Mission Express. Jonah Tolchin opens. BUY TIX
    Thu Oct 23Cafe Den TrapKortrijkBelgium Chuck Prophet & the Mission Express. Jonah Tolchin opens.
    Fri Oct 24RoepaenOttersumNetherlands Chuck Prophet & the Mission Express. Jonah Tolchin opens. BUY TIX
    Sat Oct 25Let’s Get Lost Festival
    HedonZwolleNetherlands Chuck Prophet & the Mission Express and other acts before and after. BUY TIX
    Sun Oct 26The ParadisoAmsterdamNetherlands Chuck Prophet & the Mission Express. Doors at 4:00 PM. BUY TIX
    Mon Oct 27KnustHamburgGermany Chuck Prophet & the Mission Express. Jonah Tolchin opens. BUY TIX
    Tue Oct 28Comet ClubBerlinGermany Chuck Prophet & the Mission Express. Jonah Tolchin opens. BUY TIX
    Wed Oct 29JubezKarlsurheGermany Chuck Prophet & the Mission Express. Jonah Tolchin opens. BUY TIX
    Fri Oct 31Auditorio de Dastero
    Basque CountryAndoainSpain Chuck Prophet & the Mission Express.
    Halloween with the Mission Express
    Sat Nov 01El SolMadridSpain Chuck Prophet & the Mission Express. BUY TIX
    Sun Nov 0216 ToneladasValencia Spain Chuck Prophet & the Mission Express. BUY TIX
    Mon Nov 03SidecarBarcelonaSpain Chuck Prophet & the Mission Express. BUY TIX
    Thu Nov 06Shank HallMilwaukeeWIUSA Chuck Prophet & Mission Express. Tickets $15. Show at 8:00 PM. BUY TIX
    Fri Nov 07Fitzgerald’sBerwynILUSA Chuck Prophet & Mission Express. Tickets: $15 advance / $18 at door. Show at 8:00 PM. BUY TIX
    Sat Nov 08Beachland Ballroom & TavernClevelandUSA Chuck Prophet & Mission Express. Tickets: $15 advance / $17 at door. Show at 8:30 PM. BUY TIX
    Sun Nov 09Horseshoe TavernTorontoONUSA Chuck Prophet & Mission Express. Tickets: $15 advance / $18 at door. Show at 8:30 PM. BUY TIX
    Mon Nov 10189 Public HouseEast AuroraNYUSA Chuck Prophet & Mission Express. Tickets: $15 advance / $20 at door. Show at 8:00 PM. BUY TIX
    Wed Nov 12Tip Top Deluxe Bar & GrillGrand RapidsMIUSA Chuck Prophet & Mission Express. Tickets: $15 advance / $20 at door. Show at 8:00 PM. BUY TIX
    Thu Nov 13The Grand Valley Dale BallroomColumbusOHUSA Chuck Prophet & Mission Express.
    Fri Nov 14V ClubHuntingtonWVUSA Chuck Prophet & Mission Express. Tickets: $10 advance / $13 at door. BUY TIX
    Sat Nov 15Club Cafe,PittsburghPAUSA Chuck Prophet & The Mission Express. Tickets $20. Show at 7:00 PM. BUY TIX
    Sun Nov 16The HamiltonWashingtonDCUSA Chuck Prophet & Mission Express. Tickets: $17 Standing advance / $20 Seated-GA at door. Doors at 6:30 PM. Show at 7:30 PM. BUY TIX
    Tue Nov 18Johnny D’sSomervilleMAUSA Chuck Prophet & Mission Express. Tickets $20. Show at 8:00 PM. BUY TIX
    Wed Nov 19Narrows Center for the ArtsFall RiverMAUSA Chuck Prophet & Mission Express. Tickets: $22 advance / $25 at door. Show at 8:00 PM. BUY TIX
    , Thu Nov 20Iron HorseNorthamptonMAUSA Chuck Prophet & Mission Express. Tickets: $20 advance / $25 at door. Show at 7:00 PM. BUY TIX
    Fri Nov 21The Bell HouseBrooklynNYUSA Chuck Prophet & Mission Express. Tickets: $15 advance / $18 at door. Doors at 7:30 PM. Show at 8:30 PM. BUY TIX
    Sat Nov 22Club HelsinkiHudsonNYUSA Chuck Prophet & Mission Express. Tickets: $18 advance / $20 at door. Show at 9:00 PM. BUY TIX
    Sun Nov 23World Cafe LivePhiladelphiaPAUSA Chuck Prophet & Mission Express. Warren Zanes (Solo) supports. Tickets $18 - $27. Doors at 6:30 PM. Show at 7:30 PM. BUY TIX

Laibach likes this.
  20. neilpatto

neilpatto Forum Resident

Windfall, yeah I picked up the Night Surfer CD on release day at Jumbo Records in Leeds, knowing that I couldn't wait for the vinyl to turn up. Good job too, as Yep Roc has now advised that the vinyl has been delayed.

I wanted to live with the album for a while before passing judgement here but I didn't really need to wait too long, I was sold as soon as the guitars kicked in on track 1!

After a week or so of casual playing, and a good few back-to-back listens and road trips. I can only agree with those singing the praises of Night Surfer. This is undoubtedly another fantastic record from our man, a worthy follow up to Let Freedom Ring and Temple Beautiful which are both modern-day masterpieces in my eyes. Melodies are already buried in my head, Chuck really is at the top of his song-writing game these days, restless to keep moving forward and tackling every new project with a fire in his belly and a twinkle in his eye.

What else? I love the way that the album beats with a big pop heart throughout, a great melting pot of influences and references that never sounds derivative or predictable. The arrangements and production are always interesting and you just know that these songs will really take off in a live environment. James DP really plays his part, adding his now trademark guitar textures and harmony, and we even get the benefit of a bit of guitar sparkle from Peter Buck (but thankfully no BVs!).

All in all I'm loving Night Surfer (and Fast Kid b side) and I can't wait to see the mighty Mission Express rip up these songs on the road.

NP

RiRiIII likes this.
  21. windfall

windfall Senior Member

hey Neil, really nice review, and I agree with you on all points. One of the things that amazes me is that, post his 50th birthday, 12 albums and 24 years into his solo career, he's still peaking. Compare that with Dylan at the same point (Knocked out Loaded, anyone?), Petty (in between Echo and Last DJ) or Springsteen (in a bit of a drought between Joad and The Rising), and it brings home how impressive that is.

Anyway, very glad you're enjoying it. Shame about the delay on the vinyl. I ordered the 7" single but work has been so busy I have not had time to shift over the belt drive, put it on the turntable, and give it a spin. Maybe this weekend. I hope we get a good serving of the new songs on the UK tour, but it usually takes a while for all the new songs to filter into the live set.

Have you seen the official video for Wish Me Luck? Directed by Jackson Browne's son. A bit of a throwback to 80s style narrative pop videos, but it's fun. I always get the impression when he does these things that Chuck can't quite take the acting side of it all that seriously! But it sort of works...

22. windfall

windfall Senior Member

... Would love to know who "Wish Me Luck" is really about...

23. windfall

windfall Senior Member

Great full band session showcasing some of the new songs. Sadly no "They Don't Know About Me and You"...

RiRiIII and Laibach like this.
  24. neilpatto

neilpatto Forum Resident

Windfall, I'm hoping to hear plenty of the new material at the forthcoming UK shows, Chuck certainly played plenty of Temple Beautiful tunes from the earliest dates on that tour. I'll be sorely disappointed if I don't get to hear Countrified Inner City Technological Man, love it!

I did see the Wish Me Luck vid. You're right, it is a bit of an MTV throwback, like those later R.E.M. videos where everyone bar Michael Stipe looks like they'd rather be somewhere else. It certainly doesn't take itself too seriously.

Interesting observation about Chuck bucking the trend of performers who lose their way in their middle years. Chuck retains a hunger to do good work and he's found a way of operating on his own terms (as discussed in that No Depression interview). More power to him I say.

One last thing, am I the only person who thinks that Echo is a brilliant Tom Petty album???

Take it easy and keep me posted,

NP

PS if you're interested, the only new album I've heard this year that comes close to 'Night Surfer' is 'Alexandria' by Chris Mills, definitely worth checking out, a gem.

25. windfall

windfall Senior Member

Yes - good call on the REM connection!

I mentioned the middle years thing to Chuck; he replied, 'Well, it took me a while to find my feet'... Debatable, when you think what great albums, in their own genre, Brother Aldo and Balinese Dancer are.

I like much of Echo, but there's definitely some filler there. About half a dozen of the songs rank quite well in his repertoire, I think. But I know from the evidence of other threads that some do value Echo more highly.

And thanks for the Chris Mills rec! will check it out

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.