Original Star Wars Trilogy Pre-97 SE

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Ronnie Potchie, Sep 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ronnie Potchie

Ronnie Potchie Forum Resident Thread Starter

Why George Lucas did you have to change these !!!
    They were perfect in there inperfections !!!

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  2. mj_patrick

mj_patrick Senior Member

Hi and welcome to the forum. Although the changes are not as obvious as the '97 SE, he was tinkering with the original Star Wars as far back as 1981.

Oh well, at least he's consistent. :hide:

hi_watt likes this.
  3. Ronnie Potchie

Yes, I know.
    The 81 episode IV crawl .
    Followed by the 93 Definative Collection audio mix.
    The various audio mixes from Star Wars, 70mm mix 35 mm stereo and Mono mixes etc.......
    I was ignorant of these changes until I saw the SE's at the theaters.
    Sorry, maybe I should be over at original trilogy for this.
    I really didn't think anyone would comment.
    Love the consistency commet. :)

Last edited: Sep 20, 2014
  4. mj_patrick

mj_patrick Senior Member

No no, it's all good. Actually we've been pretty passionate about the original trilogy here, among other threads.

5. Ronnie Potchie

He had the right to do whatever he wanted with these films.
    Great, release the SUPEREXTRASPECIALEDITION TRILOGY ON BR.
    It would have been nice if just he went the Blade Runner route.
    The Five or is it four different version of that on BR.
    That was great of Riddley Scott.

6. Ronnie Potchie

Wait, Have the Disney treatments been confirmed ?
    Last time I was at Original Trilogy, people were just hoping for it.

7. The Spaceman

The Spaceman Forum Resident

Some of the aspects of the 97 special editions were improvements. The originals were not perfect in their imperfections. That's probably the biggest Star Wars fan myth that exists. They act like the originals without any of its changes are the holy grail. False.

David Campbell, kevintomb and Deesky like this.
  8. Ronnie Potchie

What is the Holy Grail for you ?
    To me It's what I saw in 1977, 80 and 83. Just my opinion.
    I understand that Fans love these also.They just were not for me and my childhood.

Jerry Horne likes this.
  9. Ronnie Potchie

Try to see of it from this perspective:
    Lets pretend you have a favorite recording that was originally only released on 8 track.
    You love it, everything about it.The notes the guitar plays, the singing etc...
    The band releases a different version of that album on Viynl , but you love the original and dislike the changes.
    The band or record company says you'll never see the 8 track version on Viynl.
    All you have is the worn out 8 track tape You might be sad about that.

The LD to DVD transfer looks awful on an HDTV
    Ridley Scott did it right.
    Release them all in HD.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2014
    driverdrummer and Spirit Crusher like this.
  10. Ronnie Potchie

I want to apologize if I've offened anyone.

11. mj_patrick

mj_patrick Senior Member

That was a great box set (just wished the other versions offered had lossless sound) and still one of the best. Should have been the template for other films to follow.

The Spaceman likes this.
  12. Ronnie Potchie

My favorite is the U.S. Theatrical version.
    Followed closely by the final cut ( I can except change that makes sense ).
    International cut is third (just a little more graphic).
    Directors cut is my least favorite.
    I agree.

13. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

Star Trek: The Original Series was released on Blu-ray with the option of switching between original effects and updated effects. That's always an option for Star Wars, but I doubt that will happen. I believe that Disney is going to release original-ish trilogy in November 2015 in time for the holiday season and right in the middle of the maximum hype generated by Star Wars: Episode VII's release in December 2015. Disney has probably come to some kind of agreement with Fox to release the films with both parties benefiting financially. They'll make a ton of money. The films will probably be what Star Wars fans refer to as the THX versions released in '93 on Laser Disc and '95 on VHS with the "Episode IV: A New Hope" in the original film's scrawl.

14. Ronnie Potchie

I can live with that, still not convinced it will happen. My Father was a big Star Trek fan (original and Next Generation). Enjoyed both series as well.

The Spaceman likes this.
  15. I actually like some of the improvements (particularly in the visual effects) but it got to the Lin t where it just got silly for me. I would welcome the original because even with the matte lines in the visual effects, the essence of the films haven't changed.

S. P. Honeybunch likes this.
  16. Ronnie Potchie

It's hard for me to like the SE's because the originals were so inbeded into my brain by that time.
    Fixing matte lines has never been a problem for me.
    There is a point to be made that the tinkering has been going on since the 1981 theater re-release of Star Wars.
    Its gets even crazier than that....
    There were at least three different audio mixes when the 77 theatrical version was released.
    The 70 mm 6- track
    The 35 mm stereo
    Last but not least was the 35 mono mix
    Uuuuuuuuuugh !!!!!!!
    It all depended on which version your theatre was set up for.

Vidiot likes this.
  17. sons of nothing

sons of nothing Forum Resident

I never really had a problem with the SE editions. To me it was/is no different than remastering, or to some extant remixing albums.

18. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

To me it is like if Giles Martin remixed The Beatles Revolver and added a rap in the middle of Tomorrow Never Knows" by Snoop Dogg and back up vocals on "Eleanor Rigby" by Miss Piggy.

19. Ronnie Potchie

Love it !!! :laugh:

20. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I have no problem with them fixing grain problems, getting rid of scratches, positive & negative dirt, and technical issues like visible matte lines or mattes breaking up. Replacing shots or effects is deviating from the original.

21. aussievinyl

aussievinyl Appreciator Of Creative Expression

I prefer the originals as they are the ones I saw, in fact today I picked up the Limited Edition DVD of Empire, the 2 disc version with the original film (not altered) on the second disc.

hi_watt and Ronnie Potchie like this.
  22. davidshirt

davidshirt =^,,^=

Knowing Disney and their history with releases they will do a special blu ray release, advertise it as the original uncut trilogy, and market it as a limited release before it goes "back into the vaults"... Until it comes time to market it again around a anniversary date of the last time they did that.

23. Ronnie Potchie

Had it not been for the SE's, I would have been blissfully ignorant of the audio changes since the VHS/Beta releases in 81.
    The 1985 VHS release of Star Wars was a mixture of the three audio mixes, plus extra audio effects.
    After that, the 93 Definative LD release was slightly different than the audio of 85. 1995 faces edition is the same as 93.
    I may not have this completly right. The original HBO version might be slightly different too.:rant::blah: :)

Last edited: Sep 22, 2014
  24. To get the originals released, Disney will have to work something out with Fox since they own the first film in the series as I recall but don't own the two after.

25. Ronnie Potchie

I'm sure they will.
    The question is which version will be released.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.