Bryan Adams Reckless 30th Anniv.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mocarob, Apr 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Thanks for sharing that. Good thing they didn't wait for a 40th anniversary reissue. ;)

Seriously, it is a shame to hear how reckless labels, and at times artists, are with these precious tapes.

2. KeithH

I've never done the comparison, but some people prefer the early A&M CDs. The Japanese 38XB CD has gotten high praise from some folks here. Like anything else, I'm sure opinions will vary on this topic.

3. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

It's a little scary, no? It's not like this is an obscure LP in the A&M catalog either. Reckless sold over 5 million copies in the U.S. alone.

ponkine likes this.
  4. I like what you did there. ;)

5. KeithH

It is. These stories are so sad. In that sense, hold onto your good discs firmly. At some point, it may not be possible to release an audiophile version of some of these albums. They aren't getting any younger.

6. KeithH

:D

7. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

BTW, the original master tapes of the original master mixes have been lost by A&M so Bob Ludwig had to use a copy tape of the master mixes that Bryan found in the Universal vaults, according to a Goldmine interview.

heatherly likes this.
  8. Yep, that's correct. I think it's mentioned somewhere in this thread. Bryan kept a back-up protection copy tape of all his sessions at his home, although even these tapes only played after being baked, and even then it was touch and go. I think they said they'd successfully converted them to high resolution digital just in time. It was very careless of A&M Records to mislay the original master tapes in the first place. That's part of their job. If Bryan himself can do it there's no reason why the record company couldn't of kept the originals safe as well.

heatherly likes this.
  9. heatherly

heatherly Well-Known Member

So the multitracks survived, right?

10. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

Bryan does have backup copies of the multitracks as well.

Carlox, ponkine and heatherly like this.
  11. I was wondering if his (what he calls) protection copies included the multi-tracks as well as the mix masters. Thanks

I still don't know if some or all of the bonus material (the studio outtakes and the BBC Concert from April 1985) will be on the Blu-ray audio edition as well. Does anyone know the answer to this for sure?

12. I thought he said he kept them at his house? Maybe he did back then but later on passed them on to Universal.

13. SergioRZ

SergioRZ Well-Known Member

So, they transferred the backup tapes to digital to cut the vinyl.

Was this LP ever cut 100% analog when it first came out? I would think, at that time, it was probably cut from a digital transfer... or, if cut from analog tape they probably ran it through a digital preview for the actual cutting.

Anyone able to confirm this?

14. mocarob

mocarob Well-Known Member Thread Starter

15. So the Blu-ray edition contains the studio outtakes, but not the BBC Concert from 1985 that is featured on CD 2? I can't see why they couldn't of included the BBC Concert from 1985 in high resolution stereo as well, given the amount of space there is on a Blu-ray disc. I don't expect 5.1 mixes for any of the bonus tracks, as I know that it takes a lot of time and money to create new 5.1 mixes, and they may not even have the multi-tracks for the BBC Concert, but they could've easily included ALL the bonus material in high resolution stereo. They could've easily made a separate Blu-ray disc like this which included the Reckless Movie as well (in SD). This would've been everything on one Blu-ray disc.

ponkine likes this.
  16. johnny 99

johnny 99 Down On Main Street

It's amazing now after all these years how good Reckless and Into The Fire sound.
    Good songcraft.
    Compare it to all the dreck being released today by young 'artists' and it's time to admit that Adam's was really good at what he did.

heatherly, Andrew Smith and ponkine like this.
  17. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

i noticed adams version of a song roger daltrey sings is included

18. Will the Blu-ray version have a 24bit/96kHz stereo track for both the main album and the studio outtakes? I know it has a 5.1 mix for the main album.

19. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Four discs, and still no room for "Diana"? :(

20. Rigsby

Rigsby Forum Resident

He's explained that via twitter I believe, he thought it was insensitive to include it - can't remember the precise words, but have a dig around and you'll find the quote.

21. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

I've heard that excuse before, I just think its BS. It's been many years since the woman died, and its not not like his song had anything to do with that. So putting out a four disc comprehensive deluxe edition of this album and leaving off that track seems pretty silly. It's not accomplishing anything other than annoying fans.

22. crossroads69

crossroads69 Senior Member

I am hoping the deluxe set will drop down a bit in price. I'd like to get all 4 discs but $80 seems pricey.....$60 would be nice!

23. KeithH

[​IMG]

(Come on. You knew it was coming.)

24. KeithH

It seems that Universal does not take advantage of Blu-Ray disc capacity as a matter of policy.

25. KeithH

Amazon.com has been holding firm on the box set and Blu-Ray disc so far ($80 and $30, respectively). I thought they would have dropped the prices a bit by now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.