Help with Shure V15 type V and SAS stylus loading values

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Halloween_Jack, Sep 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Halloween_Jack

Halloween_Jack Senior Member Thread Starter

Hi guys.

Hoping somebody might be able to help with setting the ideal loading for my Shure V15 Type V with a new Jico SAS stylus.

The tonearm I’m using is an SME 309, tonearm cable is 0.75m long, and is Van Damme XKR pro-grade cable based (http://www.van-damme.com/14.html). It’s listed as 50pF/m core to core, and 95pF/m core to screen (which figure to use?).

Internal SME 309 wiring is listed as 15pF per channel.

The Pre-amp is a recently rebuilt, and somewhat tweaked late-version Quad 34 (having owned several I find the earlier DIN socketed ones are rather veiled no matter what you do to them). It’s currently set to its factory default of 47R 220pF loading. On the line level inputs I now have it sounding very close to my Pass Labs B1 buffer now, which is to say pretty darned neutral. I'd like to make sure I get the phono stage loaded correctly now.

According to this chap’s very helpful web page, the loading needs to be changed to 770pf 26k to take into account the resonance of the SAS boron cantilever:

https://sites.google.com/site/zevaudio/turt/cartridge-comparison-list/shure-v15v

I guess taking into account the capacitance of the Van Damme cable I need to take that down to around 680-720pF, with 26K resistance on the quad 34s removable phono card module.

Does that sound about right? Any recommendations gratefully received before I go ahead and solder in the new values.

Cheers folks!

• John

2. Halloween_Jack

3. Halloween_Jack

4. DaleH

DaleH Forum Resident

Interesting web page but I think he went too far. I'm a flat to 10k guy as there's not a whole lot of musical information higher up and what's there is low in level. I would say from the charts 400pf or so and 47k but you really need to measure (and more importantly listen) yourself because there are a lot of variables.

There seems to be a mechanical resonance at about 17kHz but it's not that bad. He killed it with a lot of capacitance but the cure may be worse than the disease in this instance.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.