Jazz Beat (Part 30)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Gary, Sep 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JETman

JETman Forum Resident

Is this one being sold outside of the Corea website yet? Up until recently they were pushing it for high prices along with a bunch of bells and whistles that I didn't think I needed.

Looking forward to this one. Have you gotten the upcoming Haden/Hall yet? That's another one for the wish list!

2. JETman

JETman Forum Resident

If you like those 2 Erskines enough, there are 2 other ECM's with the same trio worth picking up, IMO.

Thanks for the reminder on the Quincy set. Been a while since I've listened to that one!

Voltaire and DrJ like this.
  3. JETman

JETman Forum Resident

It does swing, and despite Higgins' greatness, it's a nice change to hear Walton marching to a "different drummer" :)

4. JETman

JETman Forum Resident

An interesting discussion on another board about the consumer's REAL responsibility to the artist prompted me to break these out:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

3 CDs of musical and sonic bliss with Rouse, Warren and Riley. Always swinging, always joyful, always baaaaaaaaaad :)

5. ether-bored

ether-bored click OK to continue

6. Soulpope

Soulpope Common one

[​IMG]

(CD Blue Note CDP 7 46816 2)

7. ether-bored

ether-bored click OK to continue

boom!

Soulpope likes this.
  8. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

Francesco BranciamoreTrium (Caligola Records)
    — With Michel Godard, Jean Luc Cappozzo

[​IMG]

9. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

Does anyone know what became of the Coltrane-influenced pianist Kenny Gill? In 1970, he made a pretty amazing album called What Was, What Is, What Will Be on the WB subsidiary label Raccoon (a label started by the Younbloods). Kenny also appeared on an experimental album called Crab Tunes/Noggins with some other musicians including Joe Bauer and Banana of the Youngbloods. The only musician on Kenny's debut album that (to my knowledge) achieved further success was sax player Bob Berg. I can't even find any info on line about Gill. I'm guessing that after his lack of commercial success, he just dropped out of the business, or perhaps went back to playing local gigs. I didn't know his album existed until it hit the cut-out bins. Dead? Alive? Does anyone know?

10. 56GoldTop

56GoldTop Forum Resident

So far today, I've gone thru

Miles Davis A Tribute to Jack Johnson [LP]

[​IMG]

The Headhunters Survival of the Fittest [reissue LP]

[​IMG]

Playing now

The Artistry of Freddie Hubbard [mono WLP]

[​IMG]

11. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

Wayne Peet Quartet – Live at Al's Bar (pfMENTUM)
    — With Nels Cline, G.E. Stinson, Russell Bizzett

[​IMG]

DrJ likes this.
  12. [​IMG]

Louis Armstrong Jazz Classics (Ace Of Hearts | LP | Mono)

Campbell Saddler, JETman and DrJ like this.
  13. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Giving this another try; now disc 3 with the first tracks featuring the great Chu Berry (hope the neighbours won't mind, it's now past 1:16 AM over here...)

Campbell Saddler, JETman and DrJ like this.
  14. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

That's a set I recently got that I was sort of not sure I'd like but it's one of the best Mosaics containing pre-1950s material in my opinion, there are some amazing musicians represented, and playing very well. I know many feel Hampton was too showy but I find that in this early period when he was in his prime, it's infectious, mostly, only wearing thin for me on occasion. And he surrounded himself with some world class talent. Plus the sound quality is very good on this set.

If J.A.W. decides to sell this one along with all the other stuff he's been mentioning, someone should snap it up! :)

Campbell Saddler, JETman and J.A.W. like this.
  15. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

[​IMG]
    After playing Patterson's HIP CAKE WALK earlier, I was in the mood for more of his B-3 work, so played this one - a nice CD twofer from the Fantasy group, combining the tracks from the LPs INTRODUCING ERIC KLOSS (1965) and LOVE AND ALL THAT JAZZ (1966). Patterson is on all the tracks from the first LP and on most of those on the 2nd LP; Groove Holmes is on the remainder from the 2nd one, and I dig him too, though not quite as much as the masterful Patterson. Guitar-wise, Pat Martino was sounding GOOD with Kloss and Patterson on INTRODUCING - never sounded better in fact. He's unfortunately absent on the 2nd session, where it's either Corrao or Edwards on guitar, and neither can hold a candle to him, though they're alright. Kloss would make even better albums for Prestige in the near future but these were a really strong start.

16. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

I think you nailed it. I'm really enjoying the instrumental parts of the tracks on disc 3 I've heard so far, but Lionel Hampton's vocals not so much. Chu Berry is great on those tracks and not all of them are included on his own Mosaic set.

As for the other stuff you are referring to, I never really was a Django Reinhardt fan and I can't get into all that 2- and 3-guitar stuff, it gets on my nerves. As I said earlier, I don't know why I got this Mosaic all those years ago, not being a Reinhardt fan. Oh well. I'm not sure about the Venuti/Lang set either. The Hodges is a keeper.

Campbell Saddler, DrJ and JETman like this.
  17. JETman

JETman Forum Resident

I have to agree. It's one of my fave pre-bop sets as well. And nobody should sleep on the Hines set either :)

Campbell Saddler and DrJ like this.
  18. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Mosaic put out several great pre-bop sets: Ellington, Hawkins, Hines, Chu Berry, just to name a few.

Campbell Saddler and DrJ like this.
  19. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

I can certainly understand that. For me, the Django stuff never gets old. Partly it has to do with being a frustrated guitarist - so often he did the impossible, but in such a musical way.

My folks used to live in the California coastal range, up a canyon adjacent to Carmel Valley, and for me there was nothing more sublime than sitting on their back deck looking out over the canyon (you could see at one spot all the way to Monterey Bay way in the distance) on a sunny yet cool afternoon, sipping wine or some other libation and listening to some Django and Stephane with my folks (both big fans). There's something about that music that sort of dictates having the right setting - the area looks a lot like Tuscany and some other spots in Europe, and it was like being transported.

20. JETman

JETman Forum Resident

Yes, and I have 'em all. Just figured everyone would get the Duke and Hawk sets first just based on name recognition. H.R.S. is another fave.

J.A.W. and DrJ like this.
  21. JETman

JETman Forum Resident

Well said. I bet you could spot Clint sittin' on his back porch in Carmel doing the same thing ;)

DrJ likes this.
  22. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

Yes, and through binocs I used to try and lip-read what he was saying...couldn't be sure, of course, but I think it was something about "Misty"...

23. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

I understand what you mean. However, when many of those tracks were recorded Europe wasn't such a nice place to be, especially for people like Reinhardt, and I must admit that he made some amazing recordings in those circumstances, but, as I said, they don't do it for me.

DrJ likes this.
  24. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

I have (3) W/R albums (Mr. Gone, Heavy Weather and Night Passage) and of those Heavy is my favorite but like the other (2) as well. I remember having Body Electric and selling it. Looking at their discography on AMG it looks like their 1971 self titled debut is the consensus favorite. Anyone have an opinion to share about that one?

DrJ likes this.
  25. JETman

JETman Forum Resident

I would have thought he'd be shining one of his guns while listening to some Monk!

"Who's 'we' sucka?"

"Smith, Wesson and me"

:laugh:

DrJ likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.