Jimi Hendrix's 'The Cry of Love' and 'Rainbow Bridge' Treated to Reissues (pt2)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Sep 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BIG ED

BIG ED Forum Resident

"Useless" because you heard it up against the newest release?

2. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

Haven't received the new one yet, just ordered it yesterday.

3. carledwards

carledwards Forum Resident

I like the sound of both of these new CDs. Bernie did a good job on the mastering. Well worth picking up.

Emperor5353 and BIG ED like this.
  4. old school

old school Senior Member

Great job EVOLVIST.

5. dee

dee Senior Member

Look forward to comparing the FR audio to that of the new RB and COL. My hearing of the guitar solo at the end of DD and some of the lead guitar overdubs in Earth Blues is it sounds to me like a more piercing and pinched, and elsewhere later, ever so squeaky tone, that unfortunately makes it very difficult for me to listen to. I find Pali Gap fascinating and agree about Room sounding clearer and no more resembling something of a sonic mess - just aurally dense in an interesting way and wonderful in being that way. The SSB that is on what cd I can't recall (shame on me), well, on RB here, I think it is beautiful. It seems like a lovely companion to Jimi's FROTNRS instrumental. Sonic emotion and imagination. I love it. I am having a similar listening experience with guitar tone issues for my ears on the LOY end solos and some of HMT and it's something I found an issue for me also on some tracks of PHA. There doesn't seem to me, via multiple stereos used, a giving enough ratio of Loudness or Volume to EQ. In other words, even basic EQ shelving on the treble, doesn't help me, and there doesn't seem to be enough 'give' or gap for me via listening volumes either, for those kinds of tones, to my ears at any rate. I had similar issue with a few tracks on PHA. I seem more comfortable with nearly all of the sounds of COL. So fwiw, that's a little more about the sound of the music, as it is in how I hear it and on some of the different audio sources I'm listening through, and oh how Hey Baby, sounds both pretty, and nasty in a good way, and the playing so fluid and lyrical, and dynamic. It's a shame it ends!

Last edited: Sep 20, 2014
    BIG ED and skybluestoday like this.
  6. BIG ED

BIG ED Forum Resident

reviewED*:
    "Hey Baby [New Rising Sun]"

"First Rays of the New Rising Sun" [i.e. 1997 MCA]
    vs.
    "Rainbow Bridge" [i.e. 2014 Sony]

if someone posts they like the "1997 MCA" in the "car" don't carp bout it.
    if someone posts they like the "1997 MCA" on "free ear bubs" don't freakout bout it.
    if someone posts they like the "1997 MCA" on a "boom box" don't lower the boom on em.
    if someone posts they like the "1997 MCA" because of the additional 'detail' don't derail over it.
    if someone posts they like the "1997 MCA" because of the bass don't blowup bout it.
    if someone posts they like the "1997 MCA" and their a drummer don't beat them up bout it.

"1997 MCA" is louder & sounds more compressed as well; tho the cymbals don't sound that badd too me [a notorious "Digital Glare" hater].
    "2014 Sony" therefore is a little more 'laidback' & less 'forward' butt not as bass 'heavy'. Yet has more 'balance' & 'crankablity'.
    Soundstage has the same width, tho the loudness of the "1997 MCA" may make it seem a hair wider.
    Guitar as more 'crunch' on the "1997 MCA" & is more 'rich' on the "2014 Sony".
    The "2014 Sony" is 'tighter', less 'boomy' overall than the "1997 MCA", a characteristic i prefer esp w/drums.
    Overall on the "2014 Sony" the instruments have more 'space' & all the percussions on this track are spread-out over the soundstage better.

A masterful mastering job, making the "2014 Sony" disc sound 'rich' & 'fresh'.

* too be continuED!

Last edited: Sep 20, 2014
    Emperor5353, Pete Puma and dee like this.
  7. BIG ED

BIG ED Forum Resident

Well don't throw the old one away yet! :D

8. dee

dee Senior Member

Hey Baby is SO crankable! What a tune and sound. The little stops and starts, the liquid transitions between guitar parts. Great vocal for an Is this microphone on? moment!

Hendrix_Fan, BIG ED and Erik B. like this.
  9. Headfone

Headfone Nothing Tops A Martin

Just listened to Cry Of Love. I bought it the day it was released in 1971 and have obviously been listening to it for years. Sticker on front of this reissue says it was re-mastered from the original 2-track analog tapes. I strongly suspect there was multi-track work done, i.e. remixing. Freedom, Ezy Ryder, Night Bird Flying and In From The Storm sound subtly, but markedly different--much more than just tweeking the 2-track stereo tapes could possibly deliver. Sounds real good, though. I have the original, so hearing different mixes is welcome and kinda cool. Will probably get Rainbow Bridge, too.

10. Plexihead

Plexihead Well-Known Member

Drifter's Escape would've been perfect as the side one closer after Room Full Of Mirrors.

Erik B. likes this.
  11. BIG ED

BIG ED Forum Resident

reviewED:
    "Drifting"

"The Cry of Love" Reprise 1 2034-2 SRC+07 [i.e. 1997 Reprise]
    vs.
    "The Ultimate Experience" SE Polydor [i.e. HDCD*]
    vs.
    "The Cry of Love" EH/Legacy [i.e. 2014 Sony]

The the "2014 Sony" is 'rich' & 'fresh' sounding while the "1997 Reprise" is even more 'open' w/the "HDCD" sounding "smoother".
    Loudness wise the "1997 Reprise" is in the middle; making for a 'balancED' presentation.
    The "2014 Sony's" 'rich' sound can be 'intoxicating' as can the 'smooth' sound of the "HDCD", butt the 'ambience' of the "1997 Reprise" is 'enticing'.
    The "1997 Reprise" has more 'air' & 'sparkle' on the topend; the "HDCD" can be 'crankED' & the "2014 Sony" can be 'enjoyED' at any volume.
    The vibraphone track is the key too this track, the vibe is incredible; it shows well on the "HDCD" & the "2014 Sony" just the "1997 Reprise" has the 'air' too air out all that ringing topend goodness.
    The guitar on the "1997 Reprise" is more 'liquid' w/the "2014 Sony" having more 'bite'. This may sound (p.i.) like a clear winner, butt on a track like 'EZY' the 'bite' is a good thing!

If any one likes the "HDCD" better i totally get it, certainly the more 'subtle' the music is the better it shows.
    If any one likes the "2014 Sony" better i totally get that too, it's a very 'rich' presentation just a little too 'heavy' for me [tho it will play well in the car & be enjoyable too listen too everywhere].
    It's the separation across the soundstage & 'openness' that makes the "1997 Reprise" the winner for me.

i've postED this B4 & i'll post it again because the "2014 Sony's" are that good, the better the mastering the better Jimi's voice sounds too me!

* if you don't have a HDCD player, nor this specific SE CD, do not comment on it's SQ.

12. BIG ED

BIG ED Forum Resident

WoW
    Any thing you could point out for us?
    BIG thanks & i predict you will get "RB" [i'm psychic :p ]!

13. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

I'm guessing you meant 1987, not 1997, Ed?

BIG ED likes this.
  14. dee

dee Senior Member

To me, Drifting on the new remaster was a pleasure to listen to and able to be enjoyed still at a louder listening volume. I was impressed with the sound of that one too. Only thing is in the COL sequencing, it's too early for me to 'space out' :) on track 2 and with the other Rockers and Groovers in front of and following it. As another poster posted positively about 'My Friend' I too found the sound and placing of that song in the running order to be a very satisfying listen, even though it's from a different time, I think the style and mood fits with the other material.

BIG ED likes this.
  15. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

In addition, Bleeding Heart was used during the movie and did not appear on lp until War Heroes was released.

BIG ED likes this.
  16. Gordon Johnson

Gordon Johnson Forum Resident

This Nectar copy also states the Little Wing had been incorrectly titled on previous issues [ does not state vinyl or CD].
    Sound wise, the CD is better than the vinyl but still if you listen closely there are some serious issues.

BIG ED likes this.
  17. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

EVOLVIST, jhm and gsmile like this.
  18. Maidenpriest

Maidenpriest Setting the controls for the heart of the sun :)

I thought I would never say this... but... thank you Janie & EH these new reissues are brilliant !!!

19. Guy E

Guy E Senior Member

The thing is, as messy as Hendrix' posthumous releases were, they intrigued me as a fan and ultimately offered a window through which to pass and explore. That turned out to be a real gift. Sure, I wish the powers-that-be had assembled a remarkably clairvoyant double-album version of First Rays back in the day... but then I wouldn't have enjoyed decades of farting-around with all these recordings on cassette, minidisk and CDR! :cool:

I took great pleasure in those many, many projects.

I'm overseas now, but am really looking forward to buying these reissues next month.

BIG ED, jhm and EVOLVIST like this.
  20. dino77

dino77 Forum Resident

I dunno. I have a similar boot release and it sounds excellent. I think those 90s RB cd boots were sourced from the cassette release that was commercially available in the early 90s - I saw a copy at HMW - and not from a vinyl source.
    If nothing else you have the original 45 mixes of "Stepping Stone" and "Izabella" on that boot cd. They are not available officially from EH.

jsayers likes this.
  21. Guy E

Guy E Senior Member

Aren't those mixes on the Voodoo Child" Best of" compilation?

[​IMG]

22. dino77

dino77 Forum Resident

BIG ED, EVOLVIST and Guy E like this.
  23. Piiijiii

Piiijiii Hundalasiliah

Really?
    I got that Target CD for collecting reasons but never bothered to play it.

24. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

I thought this information about the Rainbow Bridge movie might be useful to some forum members.

Song performances included in the film (all from the first set, except where indicated):
    Studio recordings by Hendrix used as incidental music for the film include (all on the 1971 Rainbow Bridge album, except where indicated):
    The version of "Hear My Train A Comin'" that appears on the album was taken from the first show on May 30, 1970 at the Berkeley Community Theatre in Berkeley, California.

Here are the set lists for the Hawaii shows originally recorded for the Rainbow Bridge movie.

First Show
    1. Spanish Castle Magic
    2. Lover Man
    3. Hey Baby (New Rising Sun)
    4. In From the Storm
    5. Message of Love
    6. Foxy Lady
    7. Hear My Train a Comin'
    8. Voodoo Child (Slight Return)
      (Drum Solo Outro)
    9. Fire
      ('Outside Woman Blues' and Sunshine of Your Love' Snippets)
    10. Purple Haze
      (Star Spangled Banner' Snippet)
    Second Show
    1. Dolly Dagger
    2. Villanova Junction
    3. Ezy Ryder
    4. Red House
    5. Freedom
    6. Beginnings
    7. Straight Ahead
    8. Hey Baby (New Rising Sun)
      (Instrumental-Midnight Lightning/ Race with the Devil Snippet / Drum Solo Outro)
    9. Stone Free
      (Billy Robert's Hey Joe Snippet)

1. Note: This was the Rainbow Bridge Vibratory Colour-Sound Experiment, part of the Rainbow Bridge Movie

Last edited: Sep 21, 2014
    EVOLVIST, reb and skybluestoday like this.
  25. dino77

dino77 Forum Resident

Nice sum-up!
    "Bolero" also appears in the movie at some point. That's kind of interesting as it means the recording was dug up from the vault and mixed as early as 1971.

BIG ED, EVOLVIST and John Fell like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.