Any love for Disney 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea here?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by GuildX700, Apr 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

Great movie, and pretty timeless too. I think it's aged very well and I can't really recall any "slow" parts, at least IMO. One of the best movies of all time. When I was a kid my favorite scene was where they go to the island and the cannibals chase them onto the ship.

GuildX700 likes this.
  2. captainsolo

captainsolo Forum Resident

Finally saw this recently and was blown away by the sheer showmanship quality. This is a fantastic film for children, that actually maintains a great deal of the book and remains one of the few Disney films to actually be about something and have merits on the surface that don't fit in a cookie cutter world. Death, murder, depression, madness, grief, suffering, kidnapping, slavery, obsession, alcoholism and giant squid. This is my kind of Disney movie.

Admittedly it does have spots that drag on, but on the whole it works unbelievably well-even more so when considering the risk of Cinemascope at an early time with the large amount of special effects. My only complaint is the suddenness and random feeling of the ending with the island and such.

Can't wait for the BD with the restoration and restored sound mix. Now if only they'd re-issue the Zorro series on BD...I can dream right?

Vidiot and GuildX700 like this.
  3. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

Still enjoy it, though I have to admit that the book and it's sequel, The Mysterious Island, are superior.

GuildX700 likes this.
  4. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I love that book & film to death. I wish they'd do a resto/blu ray, the current blu ray sucks.

jupiter8 likes this.
  5. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

I remember how excited I was when the first time I read Mysterious Island, not knowing it was a sequel to 20,000 Leagues. I really wish someone would do the films right, and not in a bloated Peter Jackson kind of way.

6. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

sea.jpg very happy with my 2 DVD set.

7. randy9700

randy9700 Indian MC Rider!

I remember how happy I was when they released the 2 DVD set. Disney has always been late to the party in regards to their live action movies in the vault. 2014 is the 60th Anniversay for 20,000 Leagues and the holidays is a great time for it to show up. Frankly if they wait much longer for films such as 20K, Swiss Family Robinson, Treasure Island and films of that ilk they will have missed the boat entirely. I am 54 and these movies either came out before my time or in my youth so nostagia is part of the reason I would like to have these on Blu but if they wait until their target audience/buyers get much older or die off they may as well leave them in the Disney Vault forever. The younger viewers of the day are generally not interested in these classics as the need for CGI FX among todays younger movie goers grows by the year and almost all of the movies near and dear to my heart would be considered 'very slow' today. Watching suspenseful plots of classic film noir movies is not in vogue no matter how timeless they seem to me.

8. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

David Fincher just did an interview for Playboy, and one of the things he touched on was that one of his dreams was to do a big-budget remake of 20,000 Leagues and stick closer to the book, and yet make a film that lived up to the 1950s movie. For budgetary reasons, plus changing executive chairs at Disney, the remake was put on hold and still sits on the shelf. Fincher would've been a weird choice for a sprawling action film like this; I think of him as more the Se7en and Social Network guy.

9. jupiter8

jupiter8 Forum Resident

This movie is awesome- I never saw it until I was an adult. If I would have seen it as a kid it would have blown my mind.

10. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

Damn Marc, you really DO read it for the interviews;)

Love the movie, I was just watching the DVD today. Didn't know there was a subsequent upgrade done following the release of the discs. The DVD is good, would love to see what a blu-ray from the upgrade looks like.

11. Michael

love it since i was a kid...I have the DVD.

12. Michael

I was when i saw it at the movies back in the 60's...

13. Michael

sure, uh huh!

14. Michael

watched recently...still brought back great memories...

15. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Naaaa, the highlights are up on the net:

http://www.firstshowing.net/2014/david-fincher-chats-up-20000-leagues-more-in-playboy-interview/

People forget that at the time 20,000 Leagues was made, it was one of the most expensive films in history ($5 million in 1954). It's a good film, but it's really long and has some slow parts. I still laugh at the giant squid outtakes:

16. GuildX700

It really needs a blu ray resto re-issue, COME ON Disney!

17. jtiner

jtiner Forum Resident

I saw a re-release in the late 60's when I was 6 or so.... the glow from the sub windows during the ship attack scared the crap out of me. As others have stated, there are some corny/slow bits, but overall an excellent film, and visually quite nice. And yes, the sunset squid was pretty poor, but the remade sequence works pretty well.
    I'm glad to hear a proper restoration has been performed; hopefully we'll get to see a release soon.....

GuildX700 likes this.
  18. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

It's been a few years since I watched it last, but this thread is convincing me to go dig out my DVD... I'm overdue for another viewing! :)

GuildX700 likes this.
  19. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I agree -- hands down, the best part of the movie. Very, very good miniature special effects.

GuildX700 likes this.
  20. My understanding is the 4k-based archival restoration work on this is ALREADY done and sitting among Disney's DCP files waiting for the order from the powers-that-be for it to be released on blu-ray...frustrating, ain't it???

GuildX700 likes this.
  21. GuildX700

Disney has always done some really frustrating things with release, removal from sale, it's here, then gone on their stuff. I don't know of anyone else that pulls that many games with movies.

Vault, it's not a vault it's big business playing games hoping to milk the last dollar but in reality more than likely losing more $$$ in the long run.

22. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

There's been some revolving doors in the executive offices, plus some layoffs. I think this has contributed to their somewhat schizophrenic release schedule.

longdist01 and lukejosephchung like this.
  23. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

When I was growing up and only able to see this movie on TV and/or VHS, there were certain scenes that I got used to seeing in pan-&-scan... particularly the scene where the giant squid makes its first appearance. In the pan-&-scan version, the picture is panned to the far left for that scene, so you see the squid swim onto the screen from the far right, tentacles first, almost like it came out of nowhere and was making a bee-line right towards the Nautilus. That's how I remembered the scene for basically my entire youth.
    Many years later when I finally got the DVD edition and was able to see it in its proper widescreen format, I was surprised to discover that the squid actually rises up from the bottom of the screen, pauses for a moment, and then starts moving to the left to pursue the Nautilus! It's a small, fairly insignificant detail, but it's a good example of how the composition of a scene can be greatly affected (i.e. ruined) by the pan-&-scan format.

Vidiot likes this.
  24. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

25. GuildX700

And still no blu ray. WTF.

longdist01 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.