Finally! Iron Maiden BLACK VINYL reissues coming in September...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jmpatrick, Aug 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sathvyre

sathvyre formerly known as ABBAmaniac

...but Optimal have off-center issues on many releases.

2. Simon_LDT

Simon_LDT Forum Resident

Mine are fine. Same with all the Marillion re-issues which are pressed at the same place. Haven't had to return any.

3. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

Atleast the ones I own are perfect.

4. sathvyre

sathvyre formerly known as ABBAmaniac

I am very sensitive about off-center stuff. I own many Optimal records, many of them have slightly issues.

5. Phil4

Phil4 Active Member

Maybe it has something to do with buying them as soon as they release due to the card inners? Do yours have much surface noise or are you just not that fussy?

6. izombie73

izombie73 Forum Resident

Thanks for that...

The issue I'm thinking comes down to URP vs Optimal only, hopefully.
    I agree that both have done decent releases.

I have many URP that sound fine and have never had an off center pressing from that plant.
    I have also returned 3 sometimes 4 LP's to get a decent copy.

Optimal on the other hand has been much better IMO. Several of the releases I have from that plant sound stellar...
    On a side note some of my Optimal's have been first releases and other haven't but they've all been good, again IMO.

The more I've read the more I've seen that it all comes down to money...Pure and simple...
    Man I'm hoping for some good Optimal CND releases :)... If that's who in fact is pressing these. Time will tell and the fellow brethren here will tell all!

Thanks to all of you for helping out in the search for a great Maiden LP.

7. celticbob

celticbob Forum Resident

PoM; http://www.amazon.ca/Piece-Mind-Vinyl-Iron-Maiden/dp/B00N2D52XM/ref=sr_1_5?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1411280871&sr=1-5&keywords=iron maiden
    Powerslave; http://www.amazon.ca/Powerslave-Vinyl-Iron-Maiden/dp/B00N2D52MI/ref=sr_1_3?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1411280871&sr=1-3&keywords=iron maiden

Keep amazon CA pre-order or go with UK for a few extra $$? That is the question now.
    Singles have dropped in price on UK amazon.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2014
  8. xcqn

xcqn Audiophile

Singles have dropped to 5,84€ on amazon.co.uk, thats really good news!

Now i may pick them up also but i'm not sure. Would really like to have a collectors box. Why didn't they think of that?

Dammit! It would be nice to have an extra box for my U.K orignal 12" also. This is getting expensive really fast.

9. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

Yep, I thought about this for few days and decided that Im going to keep the preorders.
    I truly hope that these are going to be good pressings after all.
    If any errors or glitches come along then have to do the exchange route with the retailer.

They could maybe later do some sort of repress of "The Soundhouse Tapes", "Live!! +1" and "Maiden Japan".
    Not sure if they would go to do full 12" campaign as they were already reissued in 1990 with "The First Ten Years"-sets, which were nice and I bought them in both cd and vinyl.
    I sincerely think, if this reissue campaign goes well and sells nicely, then eventually we might get something else in the long run.

10. xcqn

xcqn Audiophile

90 / 2000 stuff on black vinyl would be the best thing that ever happened. Brave New World, Dance Of death... i would REALLY like to have black vinyl pressings of :D

SeventhGun likes this.
  11. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

Hopefully those will at last get proper black vinyl issues aswell, we can atleast hope here no matter what.

12. SeventhGun

SeventhGun Forum Resident

They're pounds, not euros

13. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Agreed everything post 7TH Son deserves a proper reissue on vinyl as well.

Szeppelin75 likes this.
  14. xcqn

xcqn Audiophile

Ofcourse it should be pounds, sorry bout that typo ;)

I'm not sure this has been mentioned before but What Records (U.K) has a complete package for the 7" singles. Neat way of ordering these. Ofcourse you will have to wait til 24/Nov before shipping. Havn't really seen this kinda package on amazon.

http://www.whatrecords.co.uk/items/62721.htm

celticbob likes this.
  15. Simon_LDT

Simon_LDT Forum Resident

I usually pre-order so get them straight away. Very minor surface noise on most Optimal stuff I've got (and I'm picky about that stuff, within reason of course). I did get a duff Steven Wilson 'Raven...' LP as the spindle hole on the first LP was extremely tight but I got a replacement for that.

I believe they also pressed some Opeth albums too (recent Ghost Reveries repress and I think the green marble Watershed too). I did have an audible scratch on 1 of those but once replaced it was fine and again only normal surface noise.

All plants have their issues as we all know and not all vinyl is equal so you might have just got bad copies.

16. xcqn

xcqn Audiophile

Had i look at the PD' this afternoon and quickly realized they ARE NOT the same stampers as the orginal 80's releases. The serial numbers on the org-stampers are machine-stamped vs on the PD's they are handwritten... Well now we no they are not using the org stampers.

This must be entirely new laquor from the "Orginal analogue master tapes" (if Iron Maiden are correct in the description). The stange thing is i can not find any signature or such of the engineer cutting those PD's. They are using different plants for the U.K and US which forces me to beleive they are cut somewhere and sent out to the plants for the actual pressing. A real mystery this is.

They can still sound VERY GOOD but i doubt they will sound exactly as the originals considering the facts above.

17. izombie73

izombie73 Forum Resident

Thanks for this, good information to know.

I thought PD where from original master tapes not the 98 remasters or some other special mix... Maybe someone who knows more can confirm.

I'm thinking the issue here again is if they are just reusing the same master as the PD on these new mixes? It seems like that is the case and that's not a bad thing.
    For many the PD sounded great but it would be nicer to have them in all black without the added surface noise. Will they sound better than the PD equal? Probably. Will they sound better than originals? Probably not. Will they sound good enough to Crank? Undoubtedly. Will the be sonically superior to the Beatles Mono? No. Will you have to return one or two to get a good set. Most Likely :) Will you blow your speakers or loose your hearing first? Well, your mileage may vary but with this kind of music both can happen.

18. xcqn

xcqn Audiophile

The PD's where not from 98'masters. They don't sound that bad. Not compressed

will they sound bettet than the PD's... Yes! Just switching to black vinyl will make all the difference. But because this batch isn't cut by the same engineer as the 80's they will sound different for sure. But thats not always a bad thing.

They will probably use the same cutting As the PD's and make new stamps for these. After all they allready payed for it. Why do it again? They will have to start fresh with the 7" thou.

19. izombie73

izombie73 Forum Resident

Well, we think alike!... Thanks again xcqn. You're a valued member to this forum.

I'm thinking the 7" maybe a little more collectable than I originally thought now...
    Who had the best price again? Don't want to drop too much $$$ on the singles... Thanks, izombie73

20. izombie73

izombie73 Forum Resident

Just did all the singles on amazon.com and it worked out to $7.77 per single. Think it would have been more appropriate to be $6.66 :)

Maidenpriest likes this.
  21. Opeth

Opeth Forum Resident

I'm in the US and I preordered the first 3 with the box from Amazon UK and it's $3 cheaper than getting them from Amazon here plus I'd rather take my chances with a EU pressing. Seems weird they don't have the other 5 up though when all the other stores do....

rob303 likes this.
  22. xcqn

xcqn Audiophile

the 7" singles will definitly go for insane money when they have been sold out. heck the PD's with box go for insane money and thats not even well done records.

Same goes with the box for the first three. Buy two pieces and keep one i shrink. Sell for good money next year :D

Thats maiden, everything sells.

23. celticbob

celticbob Forum Resident

My original pre-order for the singles was 6.66 pounds after VAT was applied. They have since dropped in price so under 5 now I believe.

24. celticbob

celticbob Forum Resident

I have 2 sets pre-ordered, one from UK and one from CA. Will be cancelling one as release day approaches.

25. rob303

rob303 Forum Resident

Man, I wasn't gonna do it but following this thread got me to realize I would regret not pulling the trigger on these. I just pre-ordered the box set plus all the singles from Amazon UK. EU presses are always better or as good as US presses and theres no match between Optimal and United.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.