Decent headphones for under $100?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Dukes Travels, Sep 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rockerreds

rockerreds Senior Member

Auvios from Radio Shack will cost you $30,and are a great buy at that price.

2. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

3. Dukes Travels

Dukes Travels Forum Resident Thread Starter

Got the Grados yesterday. Great little headphones. Nice sound overall.
    Its not so great for those 80's produced albums like No Jacket Required. The treble does seem more pronounced. But I would blame the source than the cans for that. Equalizing makes it better though. I may try the foam mod mentioned earlier.

4. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

If you're able to EQ, try an EQ like what I mention in this thread:
    http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threa...et-the-best-out-of-them.348983/#post-10318045
    It's a shelf that lowers the upper mids and the treble. The Grados can be a little shouty in the 2K frequency range. That's why my Grado EQ shelf starts at around 2K. Doing that shelf EQ will also help albums like No Jacket Required.

Dukes Travels likes this.
  5. Dukes Travels

Dukes Travels Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thanks mate. Will do.

6. Some playing time will help them as well.

7. razerx

razerx Forum Resident

Grado SR60i

DarkAudit likes this.
  8. MikeInFla

9. Shiver

Shiver Forum Resident

Mike - can't comment on the ATs (haven't tried) but just to chip and suggest the Sennheiser HD280 pros for consideration. A 'States Amazon link: http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD...d=1433413403&sr=1-1&keywords=Sennheiser+HD280

They're not 'exciting' headphones by any means and bass can seem a bit reserved compared to some others; but what they have is a lovely balanced, easy-natured (but detailed), non-fatiguing presentation, and good passive noise cancellation. Can listen to them for hours. Might suit your needs.

MikeInFla likes this.
  10. Jim T

Jim T Forum Resident

Grado 80s but buy the larger pads and replace the small ones. Ignore the Sony 7506 and the Sennheiser HD 280s unless you are a recording type and need sealed cans.

11. Jim T

Jim T Forum Resident

-------------------------------
    Same as the Somny 7506s, but they don't sound as good as the Grado 80s with the large pads.

12. toddrhodes

toddrhodes Forum Resident

Hi Jim, I have a set of 80's with the stock pads, any recommendations or places to buy the ones you're referring to? They do get uncomfortable after a few hours' use, I wear them at work so on some (good) days, I can wear them for 4-6 hours...

13. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

AKG K240 Studio. Right now - 69 dollars on Amazon US. They sound great to these ears.

14. MikeInFla

Thanks, I am looking for something in the $50-$100 range. I did some some "over the ear" Skullcandy over the weekend at Dick's Sporting Goods. I wasn't there to look for headphones I just saw them as I was leaving and I hooked up my phone to check them out. Not the greatest quality for checking out headphones I know, but all of the mp3's on my phone are 320 kbps. They sounded decent enough and I had my 13 year old daughter try them on too and she really liked how they sounded and liked the comfortable feel (although I am not sure how much she enjoyed L.A. Woman) :)

http://www.skullcandy.com/headphone..._color=Black&dwvar_CRUSHER_skdy_mic=Universal

15. HILO

HILO Senior Member

I second the replacement pads.Of all my headphones I find the Grados uncomfortable over a short period of time.

16. I have the AKG K240 Studio headphones and love them.

Vinylsoul 1965 and johnny q like this.
  17. Rockos

Rockos Forum Resident

18. Jim T

Jim T Forum Resident

-----------------------------
    I have bought my sets of Large Grado pads from Audioadvisior.com If you have a retail dealer near by they should stock them.

19. Vinylsoul 1965

Vinylsoul 1965 Senior Member

20. mike catucci

mike catucci Forum Resident

this

21. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

22. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Not really. My understanding is that the Sony 7506 headphones emphasize the midrange. In any case, the Grados are not for everyone. They don't sit on the ears as easily and must be sitting properly for best response. The V-6's are less critical in that regard.

23. JamieLang

JamieLang Forum Resident

The 7506s are horrible. Not the same at ALL....I've had nothing but v6s in my studio for years.

I have never heard the Grados, so consider my comment simply that Sony's V6 and 7506 are not really even similar sounding earphones....let alone "the same".

24. Rockos

Rockos Forum Resident

The 7506's are pretty highly regarded. Saying they are horrible seems very over exaggerated. They have the same driver as the V6 and only the ground wire is different.

Huck Caton likes this.
  25. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

A difficulty with the AudioTechinica M50 and the Sony V6 or Sony 7506 is that there are fakes out there. Counterfeits that look like the official headphones but don't sound like the real things. So be careful if shopping on eBay for those headphones or if you find them for a deal that's otherwise too good to be true. Best to buy from authorized dealers. Especially for products where there are known counterfeits on the market.

Rockos likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.