Beatles mono VINYL box set (Part #14)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by hodgo, Sep 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kavie87

kavie87 Forum Resident

I've read a couple of people have bought inner sleeves for these. Do they fit inside the paper inner sleeve?

2. hazard

hazard Forum Resident

Tonight I've listened to Hard Days Night and 4 Sale. As before, both vinyls (haha) are perfect. Flat, centered, deathly quiet when no music is playing. Optimal has done an amazing job.

Hard Days Night is the biggest improvement. My original looks excellent to the naked eye (the cover is also very good), but a quick spin on a turntable reveals significant groove damage. The new one is just perfect all the way through. And I Love Her is my wife's favorite Beatles sing and never has it sounded better than here. Its a shame that this great LP is marred by the worst line ever in a Beatles song. 'I'm gonna love you till the cows come home'. Indeed.

And so to 4 Sale. Only 2 things to say. One, quality is again fantastic. Its getting boring now isn't it! And, I am with a majority of forum members in rating this their worst LP. Baby's in Black may well be the worst Lennon McCartney sing committed to vinyl, Rock n Roll music is perfunctory, Mr Moonlight - well there has been plenty of previous posts about that awful organ solo, I don't need to say again just how tragic it is.
    And to top it off, the internal flaps are bigger than the original. And the spine is not pinched. So I might send this one back. :)

bluemooze likes this.
  3. daveidmarx

daveidmarx Forem Residunt

Considerably poorer???

4. fogalu

fogalu There is only one Beethoven

I bought my vinyl MMT in 1968, and as it was an import from the USA back then, it was quite expensive. I was just about to buy my first stereo setup and I really wanted "Strawberry Fields" "Penny Lane" and the "Walrus" in stereo. There was no stereo equipment in the shop but the assistant assured me that it was a stereo record. Some weeks later, I put it on my brand new turntable to find it was NOT stereo. I scrutinised the album cover more carefully, and, barely visible on the spine, was the word "mono". I certainly didn't want to pay for another import so I had to wait until the Blue album came out to get the tracks I wanted in stereo.

Anyway, although I no longer listen to vinyl, I have a nice mono MMT from the year it was issued. The album cover is in reasonably good condition and was always looked after - but yes - the middle section of the large booklet has come away from the staples, so I think it's good advice, in the long run, not to store it sideways like the other albums.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2014
  5. ronbow

ronbow Senior Member

No, the sets are not numbered, just the WA itself. Supposedly 40,000 sets were produced, and the lowest 40,000 numbers would be allocated to the box - that is, up to No. 9040000. As you reported your number to be 9047991, that would suggest that your album was not purchased as part of the box set, right?

Adam9 likes this.
  6. culabula

culabula Unread author.

'Twas ever thus.

7. Embracetheday

Embracetheday Forum Resident

What album is he referring to when talking about this?

8. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

The end of "A Day In The Life" from Pepper, I believe.

9. 389 Tripower

389 Tripower Just a little south of Moline

No. I wouldn't do that. I think that would defeat the purpose. The original paper with plastic-lined sleeves are nice, but they are tight to fit in the jackets in White & Masters for example. The sleeve flaps have a tendency to "catch" when sliding in. Replacing them with poly/plastic only inner sleeves will give more room. YMMV.

10. fogalu

fogalu There is only one Beethoven

So who is the jerk who keeps shouting "Never could see any other way" over and over?

Gavinyl, Rickchick, 28IF and 3 others like this.
  11. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

He is wrong. The mono cd has a sped up DPMB.

yarvelling and Joey_Corleone like this.
  12. K. Jones

K. Jones Forum Resident

I don't think they allocated the first 40,000 white albums to the box. If you look at the white album number thread, lots of people are getting numbers higher than 40k in their boxes. It's just random......

Hawklord likes this.
  13. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

A lot of folks seem to be having trouble with this side. My SME 3009 S2 Improved with Grado 8MR/MCZ had no issues tracking it.

14. Arkoffs

Arkoffs Remote member

I'm pretty sure the WSJ article was using SoundScan numbers, which don't include most independent shops -- where the majority of vinyl is sold.

The Beatles monos were flying out of the stores here. When I went to pick up a couple more two days after release, the titles I wanted were already gone.

groovelocked likes this.
  15. culabula

culabula Unread author.

I haven't examined all the albums' tightness in detail yet, but there appears to be a "right way" when putting the LPs back in the White Album, sleeve at least. Seems to go in easily enough when the window side of the inner is facing the inside of the sleeve and the opening is aligned with the spine. Hope I'm clear.

389 Tripower likes this.
  16. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I always clean all new, and used of course, records on my Okki Nokki. For new records I use Audio Intelligent Vinyl Solutions one step formula #6 cleaning solution. After cleaning all the records from the box I emptied the contents from the vacuum reservoir into a white bowl and there was all kinds of junk floating around in the bowl. Little bits of residual vinyl and little blobs of a brown oily looking substance. I've never seen the brown oily looking stuff before so I wonder if this is something from Optimal's pressing process?

17. 389 Tripower

389 Tripower Just a little south of Moline

Yep - I get ya. I thought of that too.

18. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

Yes, the end of Pepper, allowing for the decay of the piano to linger as long as possible. He's saying that the gain is turned up so high that you could hear any tiny noise in the studio.

Bill Lettang likes this.
  19. dunkrag

dunkrag Forum Resident

Listening to MMT now...
    'Your Mother Should Know' and 'I Am the Walrus' sure sound incredible cranked right up...

This set is still surprising me..

20. Neil Anderson

Neil Anderson Forum Resident

I'd rank "though it's only a whim/she thinks of him" from Baby's in Black as the worst Beatles lyric ever...

21. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

Not "my love don't give me presents/I know that she's no peasant" ?

22. Bill Lettang

Bill Lettang Forum Resident

It pain's me when people totally miss Beatle light heartedness...Oh dear.....what can I do?

23. Bill Lettang

Bill Lettang Forum Resident

I can take a vinyl surface that has contiuous "light crackling" over a completely quiet surface and then POW, a click louder than the music. If you want to experience this, Click on You Tube for Michael Fremer's reaction to a loud pop a few seconds into (of all songs) Yesterday, which is his own personal copy fom the box. This was a demonstration of the new vinyl set at Electri Lady Studios on Sept 8th. His reaction is priceless! (love the guy, he knows hi- fidelity!).

Gavinyl, Rickchick and Ash76 like this.
  24. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Please post a link. :)

25. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

Ditto.

MattyRedSox likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.