Fleetwood Mac vs. Rumours

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by lennonfan1, Sep 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aftermath

Aftermath Senior Member

Agreed about the 2 album set. What a release that would have been. :faint:

WolfSpear likes this.
  2. lennonfan1

lennonfan1 Senior Member Thread Starter

this helps explain why I did the comparisons in the first place. The tour starts in like 10 days......wonder if a new tune or two is in the works?

3. dino77

dino77 Forum Resident

4. ralph7109

ralph7109 Forum Resident

A slight lean to Rumours.

5. Scott S.

Scott S. lead singer for the best indie band on earth

Both records were totally great, it's a very tough call. But if I have to rate the whole record, I just can't stomach Don't Stop so I choose the one without it. :)

6. badsneakers

badsneakers Well-Known Member

Both albums have their merits, but I would argue Rumours has a stronger set of songs, IMO. However, I prefer Tusk.

Kit2010 likes this.
  7. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Now there's a great album!

dino77 likes this.
  8. rockledge

rockledge Forum Resident

If they do any more recording I hope it is a hell of a sight better than "Say You Will".
    If Christine McVie and Lindsey Buckingham do all the songwriting and they don't record it on a computer anything they do would likely be good.

Carserguev likes this.
  9. Kit2010

Kit2010 Too far gone

If I had to pick just one Mac album to listen to "over and over" on a desert island somewhere, it would be Tusk.

Between the s/t and Rumours though it is such a tough call. Which one I prefer at any time depends on my mood. Tusk wins for me over all mainly because it captures such a wide range of moods and contains some of my favorite Mac tracks. The earlier two albums that we're talking about are each a lot more focused, which is ok, but I prefer the "majesty" of Tusk.

It makes no sense to me to compare the earlier (or any) albums track number-to-track number. I think that while Rumours may be the best-seller of the pair the s/t album has just as many great tracks that stands repeated listens (Rhiannon, I'm So Afraid...). So for me, between those 2, there is no winner or loser.

10. duggan

duggan Senior Member

Yes, but it is fun:)

11. belushipower

belushipower Forum Resident

Exactly my response.

12. Slowhead

Slowhead Forum Resident

I enjoy both albums equally. In the past, I didn't pay too much attention to Over My Head. It has become a favorite recently.

13. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

Fleetwood Mac is great, but I gotta give it to Rumours by a bit. For one, the sound is a little more something-crisper? Clearer? I think of FM as slightly veiled, over years with different formats.

There's great hits on each, but "Gold Dust Woman" and "The Chain" (great unique intro!) are stronger seconds than the stuff on the previous album, and "Songbird" is arguably my favorite of all, ever since hearing them close a show with it in Wisconsin. Just a lovely song.

14. lennonfan1

I love so many of their albums, I could easily pick a dozen....
    Tusk is great for The Ledge, who would have thought to use an empty Kleenex box for a drum? LOL

15. lennonfan1

I think the s/t album is a little 'darker' than Rumours but no less audiophile. also, I think I'll be downright angry if Chris doesn't close the show with Songbird...it's too perfect:)
    Shows start in 2 days!!!

16. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Forum Resident

Sonically speaking Fleetwood Mac trumps Rumours by more than a "bit".

17. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

I love both albums, but I have to go with Rumours, which for me is like an even stronger version of the eponymous album.

18. WolfSpear

WolfSpear Music Enthusiast

Rumours takes the win.

Honestly though, they're both equally as satisfying for me. Two of the best albums of that decade.

19. segue

segue Psychoacoustic Member

I would agree with our host, these kinds of threads are pointless.

20. bare trees

bare trees Senior Member

Rumours is a stronger album overall. The band sounds more confident. However, I tend to gravitate toward the self-titled album more often.

21. Todd W.

Todd W. It's a Puggle

Rumours wins because the expanded, deluxe or whatever, has Silver Springs on it. For the actual, I think Rumours is darn near perfect. Fleetwod Mac is a very close second.

22. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

Fleetwood Mac (1975) is the better album imo.

And "Warm Ways" is my favorite Mac track!

23. rjp

rjp Senior Member

"tango" was better than both of them IMHO, but if had to choose i'd take rumours

24. vinylman

vinylman Senior Member

This may be hard to believe, but I only heard 'Fleetwood Mac' for the first time around six months ago. Of course, I already had 'Rumours' (1st UK vinyl and 1st '80s CD) but had left it at that and a couple of Greatest Hits CDs. I loved 'FM' from the first listen; it sounds great and it's wonderfully crankable, as is the '80s 'Rumours' CD. I think at this distance in time it's so hard to judge 'Rumours' objectively; almost everyone knows the singles from the album and that doesn't leave many lp tracks left to get your head around, so never having heard any of 'FM' (apart from 'Say You Love Me') it was a new lp to me. As soon as my CD player is fixed, 'FM' is going to be one of my first listens.

25. jeatleboe

jeatleboe Forum Resident

RUMOURS is one of the greatest albums ever made. FLEETWOOD MAC has some strong material on it but is not as consistent.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.