The Best of The Kinks 1964-1971 (2014 CD)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by KeithH, Sep 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nick Dunning

Nick Dunning Forum Resident

You can't really improve on 'The Kinks Are Well Respected Men' as a compilation. All the non-album A-sides and B-sides, in gritty mono. Perfection.

BIG ED likes this.
  2. old school

old school Senior Member

The Muswell Hillbillies Dual Disc on Sony Legacy is that the one you are talking about? It sounds like the Kinks signed a deal with Sony Legacy and there whole catalog is to be remastered again. Maybe that is why on Amazon UK all the Kinks Deluxe Editions are so cheap now?

3. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

This probably has something to do with Universal selling Sanctuary to BMG music. Probably have licensed it back to Sony as they are no longer an active record label.

old school likes this.
  4. MilMascaras

MilMascaras Musicologist

It looks like this is a "Sampler" for the forthcoming 50th Anniversary 5CD collection: 'The Anthology: 1964-71'.
    Otherwise, this would be the amongst the most lacking compilation selections ever offered for The Kinks ...

Years ago, this forum caused me to spend too much time chasing and paying too much for the 'Ugly Pink' compilation ($15! back then), but otherwise, my go-to/roadtrip compilation has been the 2002 release: "The Ultimate Collection" ($10! back then), 2CDs with 44 tracks from '64-'84, and was the first major collection that I recall having the correct Mono mixes included as appropriate. It's track listing and sequencing still holds up amongst any compilations, but it is slightly boosted, has overall DRof 8-9...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 21, 2014
    goodiesguy, jmrife, BIG ED and 2 others like this.
  5. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

I doubt they are being remastered again, I think they are reissues. I was referring to the CD/DVD Muswell, if it is a Dualdisc that will be a step backwards. Some players don't like playing them.

6. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now Thread Starter

I wonder if Mr. Anesini mastered the 1964-1971 compilation.

7. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now Thread Starter

I don't have that 2002 compilation, but it sounds like a good one from the standpoint of the content. The DR seems low, however. It is still available for $15.44 from amazon.com. I'll consider it due to its comprehensiveness.

As for the 1964-1971 compilation, I agree that it looks like a sampler for the upcoming box set. That could be why they omitted some of the obvious hits.

8. old school

old school Senior Member

It say's Dual Disc for Muswell. Could this be a printing error?

9. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

Could be, we shall find out; I thought Dual Discs had gone extinct. The Sanctuary deluxe was a 2 CD set, 26 tracks and it appears this one is only one CD.

10. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

It is a Dual Disc. It's discussed in one of the other Kinks threads that are active right now.

BIG ED likes this.
  11. Jerjo

Jerjo Forum Resident

Happened upon this thread while looking for opinions on the new 5 disc set, which according to some Amazon reviewers is way too bright and compressed. I guess I'll be holding on to my vinyl and CD copies of Kink Kronikles.

12. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

I don't know what I was referring to here 8 months ago,:hide: but my copy of the Legacy version of Muswell Hillbillies is a 2 set - one CD, one DVD.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.