Poll: Should Carpenters be in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by AdamCalifornia, Sep 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spencer1

spencer1 Great Western Forum Resident

Guessing that my memory of The Carpenters discography might not be complete and accurate I checked their discography.
    You are of course correct, they did have hits in those years.
    Reading the list of songs I laughed ... different strokes for different folks.

Next up - making the case for The Captain and Tennille.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2014
    Dudley Morris and Aftermath like this.
  2. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

I'll make that case.

S. P. Honeybunch likes this.
  3. Tommy SB

Tommy SB Forum Resident

Regardless of whether The Carpenters should be inducted, I wish there was one more option...

"Frankly, I don't give a damn about the R&R Hall of Fame"

Though I've enjoyed visiting the museum a couple times, the Foundation and their voting methods always seemed like an "insiders club" to me.

Not being in the club won't hurt The Carpenters legacy one bit.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2014
    HGN2001 likes this.
  4. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

I wish there was a way for the actual poll to pop up AFTER a couple days of heated, opinionated discussion. Sometimes, rarely!, but sometimes my opinion changes based on member's arguments.

Tommy SB likes this.
  5. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

Does anyone consider this "rock and roll?" (and please listen past the first 20 seconds). Really, listen to the whole thing.

This was on their second album, CLOSE TO YOU.

Harry

6. HGN2001

How about this one? It was on their very first album.

Harry

7. ti-triodes

ti-triodes Senior Member

Someone mentioned James Taylor? Just for marrying her he deserves to be in.

[​IMG]

footlooseman and spencer1 like this.
  8. Glenpwood

Glenpwood Hyperactive!

Since John Lennon thought Karen had a marvelous instrument, I'd say thats good enough for induction...

Also, the hall is littered with artists who are square pegs that don't fit the traditional round hole slots of "Rock & Roll" so what is the harm in letting them join those other hard rockers like Joni Mitchell, James Taylor, and ABBA? They certainly remain better well known to the average person you stop on the street today who could probably hum Close To You than if you asked them to name a Laura Nyro or Dells song.

mosogotamravip likes this.
  9. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I think you're trying really, really hard to argue that a handful of examples of a genre makes one the same as an artist whose catalog is dominated by those genres. If a rock artist records a country song, that doesn't make him/her/them a country artist.

If you love the Carps, that's great. If you think they belong in the Rock Hall, that's also great. But attempting to make the argument they're just as "rock" as McCartney or Lennon makes no sense at all. AFAIK, the Carpenters recorded literally zero songs that one would call "rock" in its traditional interpretation...

Dudley Morris likes this.
  10. zen

zen Senior Member

:rolleyes:Wrong on so many levels.

Fox67 likes this.
  11. Oatsdad

Both seem more jazz than rock to me... :shrug:

Diamond Dog likes this.
  12. Oatsdad

Wait - the Carpenters should be inducted because John Lennon thought Karen was a good singer? Really??? :confused:

13. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Settle down, Bevis.

14. Glenpwood

Glenpwood Hyperactive!

No, but it seems on this forum if you can get a Beatle connected within 10 feet of another artists career it validates that act in ways general talent or success cannot...

15. ti-triodes

ti-triodes Senior Member

And they say humor doesn't translate well on the internet. :rolleyes:

spencer1 likes this.
  16. Oatsdad

You may be right about that! Though I suspect John would've wanted Yoko inducted, and I think we know how well that'd go down on this board! :)

17. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

My point remains that soft rock was a major rock sub-genre throughout the 70s, and that, yes, members of the Beatles dabbled in it (or even played a role in creating it, in the case of "Here Comes the Sun," which is basically a blueprint for the mellow sounds of the 70s). Again, no one seems to have a problem with Joni Mitchell being in the RRHOF, even though many of her most well-known songs such as "River," "Both Sides Now," "Help Me," etc. could just easily be accused of having nothing to do with rock in its traditional sense.

18. Diamond Dog

Diamond Dog Cautionary Example

I listened to both of those in their entirety and to me they sound like The Partridge Family on bad blotter. Or some Gawd-awful attempt at Prog. Or what someone who had no clue might come up with if the record company told them the new album needed some music " like the kids are listening to." But... what the Hell - add it to the list of things we've learned in this thread:

The Carpenters = A Love Supreme-era John Coltrane
    The Carpenters = King Crimson

Done and done. :pleased: Jazz Hall Of Fame, here they come. Steven Wilson remasters comin' right up !

D.D.

PHILLYQ, Oatsdad and Aftermath like this.
  19. Besides Madonna is already in there, what would be the point? :)

20. HGN2001

The Carpenters had RAM in their collection, along with Todd Rundgren.

[​IMG]

(One of our A&M Corner members found this photo - Thanks, Chris.)

Harry

alexpop, Driver 8 and Bobby Morrow like this.
  21. bababooey

bababooey Forum Resident

Not really a fan. I don't think they're rock and roll. My answer is YES, definitely. They are about as rock and roll as many others already in.

22. Freedom Rider

Freedom Rider Senior Member

It's gotten to the point where pretty much anyone can be inducted, so why not Carpenters? But really I just don't care.

23. jimbags

jimbags Forum Resident

No because I don't think they had enough top class material, rock or not. If only their taste matched her voice.

keef00 likes this.
  24. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Below Runt' looks like Nazz.
    Sony Hi-fi gear ?

25. keef00

keef00 Senior Member

I agree completely... I don't think it's essential either. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.