Is CPR's 'Morrison' the best CSNY-related song since the 80s?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by The Spaceman, Sep 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Revolver

Revolver Forum Resident

Yeah you're right...millions of people down the generations have all bought into the legend while the music had no real artistic value. :rolleyes:

Mechanical Man likes this.
  2. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Really? We are demoting the Doors and Jim Morrison based on the total number of minutes of music they released?

I think there are valid reasons for disliking the myth building around Morrison/The Doors, and it's a valid view to not like their music.

But any discussion that ends with a discussion of how many minutes of music they released and uses that as an argument for anything related to the artistry is just plain ridiculous.

3. The Spaceman

The Spaceman Forum Resident Thread Starter

Ye Ole Bandwagon Logical Fallacy.

Popularity and Artistic Value aren't inclusive.

The "legend" is a farce, a myth, a fairy tale, a delusion.

PHILLYQ likes this.
  4. Revolver

Revolver Forum Resident

Bandwagon? Right....ok, you took Logic 101, congrats.

Sorry pal, but we aren't talking about a "legend". We are talking about music. I understand you're upset because you feel Morrison gets too much credit because of his "legend", but a band does not continue to be popular after 50 years strictly based on some perceived "legend". I got over the Morrison mystique years and years ago, but the music remains.

Encuentro likes this.
  5. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

Unless you happen to love his work as I do. It's obviously nothing special to you, but it's special to me and the millions who love The Doors' music.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2014
    Revolver likes this.
  6. Revolver

Revolver Forum Resident

I do have to say though, Lady Friend is as great as any Doors song.

7. ARK

ARK Forum Miscreant

Quite a few. To name just two, I'd go with "Change Your Mind" and "Big Time".

8. rjp

rjp Senior Member

death has a strange way of making an artist just a wee bit bigger and better than they really were.

9. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

You're half-correct. Bigger perhaps but not better. The music stands on its own. It was there, loved and praised before Morrison died. The music doesn't change after an artist dies. It's the same music.

10. rjp

rjp Senior Member

and the stories, and the legend grows and grows as time goes on.

my students think morrison was some kind of mystic shaman magician seer and soothsayer, they think he had some kind of special powers, like a comic book super hero.

11. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

That's unfortunate.

12. rjp

rjp Senior Member

describing jim morrison is not that easy a task.

wonderful poet and lyricist (not that learned on his songwriting skills)

alcohol addicted and overweight near the end

aloof? probably quite the loner, or so it seems he would be.

i'm also not sure how involved he was with drugs.

13. The Spaceman

The Spaceman Forum Resident Thread Starter

CPR's song is most likely more accurate than Jim Morrison's followers would care to admit.

Bill likes this.
  14. ChrisEfterklang

ChrisEfterklang Forum Resident

Morrison was the first CPR song I heard, I think it was by chance that I got to hear through a friend of mine. CSN(Y) wasn't on my musical radar at all at that time although discovering that first CPR album and seeing them live around the time of 2nd album all changed that. Oh and this incredible performance of Deja Vu by CPR which was broadcast on Dutch tv:

Hep Alien likes this.
  15. rjp

rjp Senior Member

anyone know, i mean really know, what happened between crosby and pevar that caused this wonderful band to disintegrate?

16. ChrisEfterklang

ChrisEfterklang Forum Resident

A gig dig using Google turned this up: http://www.4waysite.com/exclusive-4...an-experience-a-conversation-with-jeff-pevar/

Have read it quickly but the band not so much disintegrated but simply was sidetracked by Crosby. I guess in the end the band wasn't succesfull enough financially to keep going.

17. blackdograilroad

blackdograilroad Forum Resident

Well reading between certain lines..................Pevar seems to have a reputation as being a nice bloke, but like a lot of musicians (and a lot of non-musicians for that matter) he has a certain amount of ego, and he wanted CPR to do some of his own material, and that didn't go down well with one band member..............who has stayed pretty silent on the matter, which, um, isn't like him..............

.........that said, I suspect this was part of it, but the main reason was CPR didn't make enough money............

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.