Green Acres

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by PaulKTF, Sep 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. davidshirt

davidshirt =^,,^=

I miss the old Nick at Nite.

clhboa, Tommy SB and Benno123 like this.
  2. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

I'm sure that this is something I've already shared in another thread here where Green Acres was discussed, but perhaps my favorite Green Acres episode is the one where Lisa opens a "cosmetetical" business in Sam Drucker's store entitled "Beauty Is Skin Deep" from season 5.
    It's also possible to just go to hulu and type "Green Acres." I don't know why anyone would have difficulty finding it there unless he/she made a typo when entering the name. I just watched another episode yesterday and found it without difficulty.

3. bababooey

bababooey Forum Resident

I found it corny in the sixties. A lot of it was over my head. It wasn't til syndication that I discovered it was brilliant. Used to get home from school, pull out the bong and watch Green Acres. Probably why I never finished college and now have a s**t job.

clhboa and Mister Charlie like this.
  4. Remurmur

Remurmur Music is THE BEST! -FZ

I loved this show! And surreal is correct. Hooterville existed on it's very own dimensional plane that was warped like a too tightly shrink wrapped Dynaflex LP !

There were so many clever running bits but my favorite was that even after several seasons, the Douglas's still could not get a regular phone installed in their farmhouse, ( even though everyone else seemed to have one), and Oliver still had to climb up the utility pole every time he needed to make a phone call.

And it was always a pleasure watching Eva ....the "good " Gabor sister. She seemed to enjoy the silliness of the show and you could hear it when she gave her lines .

5. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

6. JFS3

JFS3 Senior Member

[​IMG]

Shawn and bababooey like this.
  7. Groovy

Groovy Forum Resident

When they stopped bringing out the official DVDs I went on sell.com and bought the full series for about $30.00, excellent quality too. The show is insane and gets more so as it goes on, I love it!

8. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

are the eps edited?

9. Groovy

Groovy Forum Resident

To be honest it's been a while since I watched it, Michael, but I don't recall any sudden cuts or continuity issues at all. Before the final 3 seasons of The Mary Tyler Moore Show were released I bought them through sell.com also and the final season in particular was very obviously missing bits and pieces. Not so with Green Acres though.

10. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Haven't seen it in years.

11. badfinger54

badfinger54 Senior Member

12. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member Thread Starter

Me too! In the 80's and early 90's it was such a wonderful block of programing.

13. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member Thread Starter

I don't think the show is being syndicated on any TV stations in the U.S right now.

14. davidshirt

davidshirt =^,,^=

Yeah, that's the era I most fondly remember. Although in the erly '00s I did enjoy catching Three's Company and All In The Family late at night.

15. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Right. But I have HuluPlus which I access from a Roku, and I am unable to find Green Acres on it. The only place that comes up is Amazon for $1.99 an episode.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2014
  16. bababooey

bababooey Forum Resident

I think the writers were high doing that show.

17. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

.....on what, Wildwood Weeds? ;)

aoxomoxoa likes this.
  18. RickH

RickH Connoisseur of deep album cuts

Hank Kimball (Alvy Moore, R.I.P.) was a hilarious study in scatterbrained-ness, my favorite character. Many times since the 60's, I've thought of this show, for example, the phone up the telephone bit and how I sometimes find myself in crazy predicaments that reminded me of the show.

halfjapanese likes this.
  19. Lance Hall

Lance Hall Senior Member

Great cast and still entertaining.

20. No Static

No Static Gain Rider

And their comedic timing was amazing week after week for an ensemble cast.

There were a couple of levels of comedy with this show. Sorta like Rocky and Bullwinkle.

KevinP likes this.
  21. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

I don't have HuluPlus, but on my pc I just browsed the list of available shows as a guest and I did not see Green Acres among their offerings. Could it be possible that not all shows that are available to watch for free (with embedded ads) on Hulu don't show up in HuluPlus?

22. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

From the FAQ section on HuluPlus' website:

"Why are some of the shows I watch on Hulu not available on devices?

We understand that the content difference can be confusing, and at times frustrating for our users, so we hope this explanation is helpful.

For background, when we launched the free Hulu.com service, we obtained licensing to stream content direct to the PC – and only to the PC. With the launch of the subscription-based Hulu Plus service, we had to start from scratch and acquire licensing to stream content on TVs, smartphones, and tablets as well as PCs. We tried to get as much overlap as possible. (We want it all, of course!) But there are still some exceptions that we are working to resolve.

Today, Hulu Plus includes hundreds of shows, some of which haven't been available online before, and full runs of many of them. (To see a full list please go to Hulu Plus Content page)

Still, we understand it's disappointing when you can't access some of your favorite shows on your favorite devices. Please know that we are working diligently to include as much content as possible in Hulu Plus so you can enjoy more of your favorite shows where and when you want, and we're confident the offering will improve over time."

23. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

Favorite: Lisa asking Oliver what board/card game he wants to play: Scribble, Monotony or Cabbage.
    And for those of you who think Some things in Green Acres didn't exist in real small town life, we had a fellow who ran the general store/Post Office/was the town councilman/and the local resort and campground - all out of one building.

24. jupiter8

jupiter8 Senior Member

Between Me-TV and Antenna-TV and Familynet you should be set these days- they all do a great job filling the void.

25. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

the GA eps should be at least 25 minutes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.