Ringo Starr - Apple Years box set - a good idea?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by dbacon, Sep 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GubGub

GubGub Forum Resident

Why? I think it is a great idea and simple to execute. Ringo made 3 pretty decent albums and one charming curio for Apple along with some great stand alone singles. This after all is the Ringo music that people actually bought in large numbers at the time (as opposed to the later stuff that mostly only appeals to...er..."devoted" fans). Package it all up with decent remastering and a book in a 4CD box and sell it for £35 ($50). I reckon it would go. It doesn't have to be a huge pressing.

Grand_Ennui, Hep Alien and BadJack like this.
  2. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

The George box is likely to sell less than 10,000 copies. No reason why Ringo can't have a similar box, even with relatively low sales. It's not like his regular new CDs are selling more than that amount, and they're making $$$ still.

Arnie

Grand_Ennui and theMess like this.
  3. crossroads69

crossroads69 Senior Member

A great idea IMO - many newer fans like me have only read about his early albums but never really owned anything other than Ringo. A 5-disc set with 4 albums remastered, all singles/B-sides added plus some unreleased outtakes - with good packaging (like Harrison box) would sell enough to make some money.

Just don't price it out of the game.......

Grand_Ennui, Hep Alien and theMess like this.
  4. richierichie

richierichie My glass is always full.

I resisted Ringo first time around, BUT I reckon I would consider a Ringo box set, so it`s a YES from me.

5. Rubber65

Rubber65 Forum Resident

Definitely. I have nothing of his and getting them out in box set would be sweet.

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  6. dbacon

dbacon Senior Member Thread Starter

A Ringo Apple box would need to much more than just the five albums....although packaging sentimental journey, Beaucoups of blues, Ringo, goodnight Vienna, blast from your past together as a budget "5 classic albums" series is not a bad idea.

IF there is a reasonable amount of interesting outtakes, demos and alternates than a Ringo Apple box could be wonderful. I would buy it.

Grand_Ennui and Hep Alien like this.
  7. oxenholme

oxenholme Senile member

5.1 on Blu-ray and I'd buy it immediately...

8. crossroads69

crossroads69 Senior Member

Hopefully Apple does that for the Beatles first............

9. raveoned

raveoned Forum Resident

I think it would be cool in either a special box with some alternates or rare tracks, or even in standard form boxed as a "5 Classic Albums" type of thing. I'd buy it because I have none of his Apple albums on CD.

The only thing that could be problematic is if that set and something of Paul's were scheduled for the same time, and Ringo went round to ask Paul to delay his release...

Grand_Ennui, Hep Alien and Keith V like this.
  10. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

The Ringo latter day compilation titled "5.1" is one of my favorite 5.1 mixes I own

11. But it wouldnt need to be a box set. Just an envelope.

JimC and Keith V like this.
  12. I thought that's what Oxenholme was referring to at first. I was going to respond with a "What, isn't the DVD-A good enough?"

And for what it's worth, "Choose Love" was on dualdisc, tho only 16/48 stereo, if I recall correctly.

13. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

I think the Photograph compilation was kind of pushing it.

Mazzy likes this.
  14. GubGub

GubGub Forum Resident

It kind of was because some of the later material included is not as good as most of that on the Apple albums.

JimC and Keith V like this.
  15. No one here are fans of the Hudson-era "How many Beatles references can we cram into a song?" songs?

Hep Alien, mmars982 and Keith V like this.
  16. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

You could fit every note on Ringo's 4 apple LPs and associated singles/b-sides/released outtakes on a 2 CD set. Not that they would go this route.

17. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

Maybe a Blast From Your Past deluxe would be nice. 70-75.

18. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Ringo Rama is the Ringo disc I listen to more than any other, and Vertical Man and Choose Love are top notch as well.

jricc likes this.
  19. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

"Here comes the sun is about you" makes me cringe

20. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

A carefully curated box that covered his entire career, with ample cross licensing and rarities and outtakes/unreleased material would be something I'd consider.

Any straight reissue of his albums with maybe a bonus track on each is something I would assuredly not buy (unless it was bargain priced...)

21. GubGub

GubGub Forum Resident

Neither should they. If they are going to do this we at least need the artwork for each album including a replica of the Ringo book and record labels.

That is my one complaint about the Macca archive series. I understand the reasons why but we do not get authentic labelling on the CDs (Apple on McCartney & Ram, Parlophone on McCartney 2, presumably Capitol on Venus & Mars etc)

22. ascot

ascot Senior Member

I would be happy with a Ringo box set of his Apple releases.

23. Culpa

Culpa Forum Resident

In addition to the four LPs, I count eight officially released bonus tracks, plus one known outtake. Is that it?

Stormy Weather (outtake)
    Coochy Coochy
    Nashville Jam
    It Don't Come Easy
    Early 1970
    Back Off Boogaloo
    Blindman
    Down and Out
    Six O'clock (long version)

Maybe they could add the 2 LSO Tommy tracks.

Hep Alien and She is anyway like this.
  24. Rigsby

Rigsby Forum Resident

There's Wishing Book as well from Beaucoup of Blues to add to that.

Hep Alien, She is anyway and Culpa like this.
  25. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

You couldn't. The combined time of the current CDs is about 11 minutes too long for two CDs.

Sentimental Journey: 34:01
    Beaucoups of Blues: 44:52
    Ringo: 46:50
    Goodnight Vienna: 45:11

Add the "Goodnight Vienna" single edit (which is on the Photograph compilation).

Hep Alien and She is anyway like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.