Ask to Rega users! - How effective? - Groovetracer sub platter and bearing solution

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by kazu, Sep 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kazu

kazu Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hello,

I am using a RP6.
    I have already known that noise floor level of the Rega's stock bearing is very annoying for playing quiet music. Therefore, I intend to change to more smooth and quiet sub platter and bearing.

Could you let me know how effective solution, please, by using Groovetracer sub platter and bearing?
    Should I spend US$300 in RP6 Groovetracer sub platter and bearing?

Regards,
    Kazu

2. Bob_in_OKC

Bob_in_OKC Forum Resident

With my P5, I never thought the background noise was troublesome in its stock form. I was still very pleasantly surprised with how much of an improvement a GrooveTracer subplatter made.

kazu and Long Live Analog like this.
  3. The GT subplatter should help some. It did with my P3-24. For me it was a huge upgrade because the stock subplatter on the P3-24 was made of phenolic resin. The RP6 has a metal subplatter but I don't know how it's built. It wouldn't surprise me though if they were using a stainless steel bearing. The GT sub uses Zircona for it's bearing and it would surprise me if the build of the subplatter was superior. Hopefully, you'll get some more feedback from some of the RP6 users in this forum. There are quite a few folks here that went for the GT subplatter upgrade.

As an aside, I had a lot of noise coming from TT-PSU and the only way I found to correct that problem was to ground the unit by connecting a wire from the shell to the ground screw on my phono pre-amp. I assume the RP6 is using the Make II of the TT-PSU so hopefully, they corrected the grounding problem.

kazu likes this.
  4. Bob_in_OKC

The stock RP6 subplatter has a metal cap, and is otherwise very similar to the P3 subplatter. This is a photo from another forum, posted by the manufacturer of GrooveTracer while participating in a thread there.

[​IMG]

kazu likes this.
  5. eurekaiv

eurekaiv Active Member

You could try moving to a ceramic bearing for a few $s and see if it helps before shelling out the premium for the full GT. I wouldn't expect the GT sub to be a huge difference maker on the RP6 but I haven't had or heard that table outside a quick demo at an audio show.

kazu likes this.
  6. scolley

scolley Active Member

I'm new to Rega, so I could be off base here. Apologies if so, but...

As I understand it, this is an RP-6 specific question. Prior models with non-metalic subplatters were clear targets for improvement, and Groovetracer capitalized on that. But RP-6's have metal subplatters. So Groovetracers COULD be a waste of money, because Rega has recognized the problem, and fixed it in the RP-6. Or not.

Bottom line, IMO it'll take an RP-6 owner that has tried a Groovetracer (on an RP-6) to tell us if it helps. And while that will only be subjective information, anything else is merely speculation.

PS - Having recently upgraded to an RP-6 myself, I AM an interested party.

kazu likes this.
  7. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

It's well worth the investment

kazu likes this.
  8. motionmover

motionmover Forum Resident

I have an RP6 with the Groovetrecer subplatter. With the original Rega subplatter, I find the RP6 looks like a toy.
    But does it sound better with the GT subplatter? 100% YES!
    If you have a good quality stereo, the improvement in sound will be noticeable.
    The noise floor drops, making the music more enjoyable. There is a reason why Rega uses a metal subplatter on the RP8 and RP10? Of course, better quality helps with better sound. I have no regrets with respect to the GT subplatter and will never remove it from my RP6.

kazu likes this.
  9. dianos

dianos Forum Resident

If you're on a budget there is also the www.tangospinner.com sub platter alternative. Not in the same league as the GT in terms of finish and tolerances but the result is very good. I have one myself. The original RP6 sub is not full metal. Only upper part of it is metal and the lower part is still plastic and the belt is going against the plastic part too. Not sure in which way the upper metal part on the original sub on the RP6 is an improvement really..

kazu likes this.
  10. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Like Bob in OKC wrote, the sub platter in the RP6 is a combination of "plastic" (?) plus the addition of an aluminum hub.
    The RP8 and RP10 have a metal sub platters but not the RP6.

kazu likes this.
  11. Bob_in_OKC

If you're willing to listen to only first-hand experience from the exact turntable, that's understandable. But you're missing an important part of this issue - The subplatter on the RP6 is not improved to the quality level of the all-metal assemblies. It simply has a metal cap on it.

Another of Frank's photos:

[​IMG]

kazu likes this.
  12. Long Live Analog

Long Live Analog Forum Resident

The GT reference subplatter is effective and highly recommended as well as other GT products...

kazu likes this.
  13. scolley

scolley Active Member

The top two-piece platter fact is a great point. Thanks for bringing that up.

I guess from my perspective it seems clear that Rega feels like they have made an improvement. So it doesn't do any good to look at how the GT's do in TT's lower down Rega's product line. It's not the same.

It certainly SEEMS like an all metal subplatter would be superior to this new two-piece hybrid. But I - for one - don't KNOW. Rega clearly decided that they were not going to go all metal. That could have been a cost decision. It could be because they wanted to save all metal for TT's higher up the product line. OR it could be because the plastic/metal hybrid was sonically good enough. That last one seems unlikely, but it IS possible.

And that's why I think there's so much value in replies from people with RP-6's, that have tried GT reference subs.

kazu likes this.
  14. mantis4tons

mantis4tons Forum Resident

I tried a bunch of modifications back when I had a Planar 2, and the Groovetracer subplatter was the best bang-for-buck by far.

15. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

Haven't tried the GT and won't likely. My RP6 is all stock.

kazu likes this.
  16. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

The stock Rega sub-platter has an axis created from separate pieces, a cast plastic body which is drilled, a rough machined shaft which appears to be mild steel, and the spindle or in the case of the RP 6, a metal cap. If a journeyman machinist took the time to line up these fittings after they're pressed together (assembled) to do a final process (such as cutting) to ensure uniformity of the axis & concentricity - that would be great. But... it also defeats the purpose of saving labor / machining costs. With separately made parts theres no guarantee the axis of each 'lines up' with each other. Groovetracer is a solid machined piece, there's only one axis, its nigh impossible for it to not run true. The second issue is the dimension or distance between the bearing shaft & bearing well wall is closer on the groovetracer. In other words... it has a tighter tolerance thus the shaft runs more true or concentrically as it rotates. Less rumble. The third issue is that the stock Rega steel shaft, which rides on the ball bearing, is simply a flat machined steel face. Setting aside whether this face runs in true perpendicularity to the axis, steel surfaces are softer than and create more friction than the sapphire jewel that groovetracer uses. Friction imparts noise through components that contact each other. Less friction, less noise. While all these tidbits may seem minor, they incrementally add up. Speaking from a geometric & engineering standpoint - a single uniform axis running with a tighter tolerance & less friction is better. This is why Rega makes its own dedicated machined subplatters for the higher end tables - and why you'll pay more for it. Rather than see the stock subplatter as a weakness for the lower Rega line, I see it as an advantage because one can start out with a great sounding turntable but upgrade the sound as funds allow. I can't speak for the RP6 but on my P3 and P5 the groovetracer was a very noticeable upgrade throughout the entire range. Quieter 'blacker' background, tightened up the low end, and clarified the audible range.

17. scolley

scolley Active Member

Wow. Great post Raunchnroll. I really enjoyed that explaination. Thank you. :)

18. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

Q: if you use the GT sub platter do you have to use their platter? I was looking at their site and it looks like you can't keep the Rega float glass platter.

kazu likes this.
  19. Dougr33

Dougr33 Forum Resident

No.

kazu and Ntotrar like this.
  20. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

Very good to know, thanks.

kazu likes this.
  21. sacsongs

sacsongs Senior Member

That combination is what I have now but am seriously looking at upgrading to a RP6.

kazu and Ntotrar like this.
  22. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

My favorite source right now, RP6 is the best thing I have bought in audio in a long time.

SandAndGlass and kazu like this.
  23. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

I kept my glass Rega platter. It rests on three little phenolic 'buttons' affixed to the subplatter. Just drops right on.

A cool thing about the groovetracer I forgot to mention is the spindle is taller and silver in color. So when you're hunting the spindle while holding the record - (which blocks my overhead light out, a bit) the silver color 'pops into' view while peering through the spindle hole. The stock spindle is black and was harder to see. Sounds minor but it turned into an unexpected bonus I hadn't thought of.

24. Yeah thank you. And John Cippolina to boot!! Used to love to see and hear him play live in San Francisco.

25. scotpagel

scotpagel Forum Resident

Me too! I also added the delrin platter, a ginkgo platform, dynamat to the motor and the under side of the plinth and the white belt

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.