are buyers here interested in $5 and less expensive records??

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by shinedaddy, Sep 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shinedaddy

shinedaddy Forum Resident Thread Starter

so as some of you may know I bought a lot of records in collections lately and am going to start selling them this week. i naturally have a lot of less expensive stuff that could be sold but I usually only sell the higher end stuff here

my question is if there is any interest in a few ads of $2 to $5 records, say 800 or so??

its good music but just not valuable as far as what it goes for in LP form...we are talking Cars, Rickie Lee Jones, The Cramps, F Mac, and things like that and about a billion others.

let me know what your opinion is. If there is interest i can post them..otherwise i will sell in bulk at a dealer or take to a show

2. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

The bits it will take up to post them will cost no one anything. So why would you not post them? Just put all the stuff in a handful of ads (that is, no one wants to see 800 separate postings for 800 albums), and see what happens.

Based on what I read around here, you if the stuff is minty shape, and you're willing to post the runout groove info, I expect you will sell a lot of stuff at $5/per.

3. shinedaddy

well for a majority of the Lps it will simply be a VERY quick listing of artist/album title/cover grade/record grade with no other info.....except that maybe all Lp's in a certain ad were prig USA pressings or something like that.

Rickie Lee Jones - s/t - VG++/VG++ $3

and thats it. the whole point is brevity

Simon A likes this.
  4. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

That's fine. Add the runoff matrix stuff. Trust me, that's going to help you sell records around here. You don't have to, but it depends on how much you want to sell.

ellingtonic and TLMusic like this.
  5. TLMusic

TLMusic Musician & record collector

Brief is fine. If a record has a important distinguishing feature that can be summed up in one or two words, that would be really helpful.

like: "Monarch"
    "Sterling"
    "TML"
    "Record Club"
    "Handwritten 1A"
    "Stamped 1B 1F matrix"

stuff like that...

6. shinedaddy

my question isnt really HOW to list the stuff (I think I got that down by now, HA!) but IF there is an interest in cheap stuff. thats all i was really asking, if the general consensus here is that there is something people wanna see. myself, when i go to shows and see records $10 and under I keep walking, but i know everyone is different...plus i wanna blow a large chunk of these out asap

7. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Best to sell bulk. 800 titles is going to take time to shift piece by piece.

8. Thesmellofvinyl

Thesmellofvinyl Senior Member

9. zakyfarms

zakyfarms White cane lying in a gutter in the lane.

Personally I'm only looking for a few things, and unless I get incredibly lucky they aren't gonna be in the bargain bin.

10. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

I see what I know are pretty common titles sell for, relatively speaking, silly money, on these forums all the time. You know the stuff I'm talking about: Common tiles with 20 paragraphs of description and a price tag 3-4x what you see them for day-in-day-out if you scour the bins. And they sell.

So if you are not looking to hit the jackpot here, you can probably move some stuff at bargain bin prices pretty quickly.

If you are not interested in wasting time, do what the poster above suggested and create lots, e.g. 6 Yes albums or 12 singer-songwriter albums from the early '70s, or 5 new wave albums. No guarantees, but if the price is right...

11. zongo

zongo Forum Resident

I think really cheap stuff does sell here if it's good titles. I think I am unlikely to be interested in very common albums in the rock genre personally, but it seems that some will go for it. I would suspect that to the degree you can, you will want to ship more than one album to each person who buys, so probably a good idea to put some real incentive to buy multiple albums, probably something more than just combining shipping. However, I'm still not sure it's worth it to do this.

If it is not really easy for you, it will probably not be worth your time, and you should just go to a couple record shows, buy a table or two, and price them by sticking different color stickers on them, so you don't have to write anything. Or just put them in different boxes, one for $1, one for $2 , etc. You can even price them at the record show. You also don't really have to grade them if you do the record show thing, just look at the covers and don't worry about the LP itself; buyers can examine them themselves, and if something seems beat for the price you put on it, just give it to them for half the price without even discussing it. I realize that what I am saying goes against every record collector's code of morals, but if these are common titles that you are unlikely to get more than a couple bucks for even if you carefully grade and write down the matrix numbers and etc, I wouldn't even bother yourself over it - just get rid of them as fast and as quickly for a reasonable price as you can.

12. adamdube

adamdube Forum Resident

I did this recently with an ad of about 600 LPs. Listed them in excel and then exported to a csv text file. Was rather simply and made sorting a breeze. After opening the csv file in notepad use the Control H option - replace the ,(comma) with " - " ( 2 spaces dash 2 spaces). Many were less than $5-$8 and things went rather well. I think I ended up selling more than 400 of them.

I ended up shipping for free if folks bought $50 worth or something.....and with media mail you can ship about 10 albums for $6.....I just used regular mailers and taped them together as one large box.

13. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Yup...Media Mail is your friend for combined shipping. One of the last great deals in shipping available to the common man.

14. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

I was recently tasked with selling a friend's collection. First thing I did was separate the wheat from the chaff, with the bulk going to a local shop.
    I've sussed out a hierarchy of artists, based on local trends and the classifieds here. Comes down to classic rock divides, as an example:
    Cool = T- Rex, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, AC/DC, Black Sabbath, Neil Young, Fleetwood Mac, Doors, Who, Steely Dan, Bob Dylan, Beatles, Stones.
    Uncool = Kansas, Styx, Uriah Heep, Heart, James Taylor, Chicago, Journey, Aerosmith, Rush, Cars, Supertramp, ZZ Top, Jefferson Starship.
    This may differ by region, but seems to be a general consensus. All the former stuff sold at a decent price, the latter were $1 - $2 records.

Mister Charlie likes this.
  15. zongo

zongo Forum Resident

I'm a little surprised that the ZZ Top was not a little more popular. I have always felt those records are pretty common and should be worth only a couple of dollars, but I've been surprised how much people will pay for nice copies of the first three records by them.

16. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

I was giving a broad example. Some artists have coveted early albums followed by mass popularity titles that aren't.

ellingtonic likes this.
  17. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

That said, a complete run of even a relatively "uncool" band is often easy to sell.

For example, put up a full decent condition run of the Mercury/Warner/Bronze Uriah Heep albums from the 70s, and I can just about guarantee someone will buy that if the price is only a few bucks per album.

There are pressings that people look for, too, even with the "uncool" stuff as Rush.

Full/complete runs of artists are usually worth listing, even when nothing in particular in that run is rare/hard to find.

George Blair likes this.
  18. mike65!

mike65! Senior Member

Please list them. I just bought a bunch of $2 records from this site that I'm extremely happy with. All were conservatively graded at VG+.

I'm always looking to fill holes in my collection, but unless it's an archival quality album by a favorite band that I'm looking for, sometimes I just want to try out some new (old) music without paying a lot. Then I can decide if I want to upgrade. I've discovered very good music this way.

19. shinedaddy

I will. the posting will be very basic but why not? check the classifieds in about a week

mike65! likes this.
  20. shinedaddy

i am going through the boxes today and I dont know if I can bring myself to list these things...just so many many records. What to do, what to do?

mike65! likes this.
  21. mike65!

mike65! Senior Member

Send them to me. I'll list them for you. :p

In all seriousness, though, if just the thought of all of that typing is enough to give you carpal tunnel, just take pictures of groups of albums at a time. It works on Ebay.

22. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Even the uncool albums will sell if condition is really nice. I've sold Cars, Styx, and Boston album that blew out fast due to being stone mint and some with shrink still on jackets.

There are three things most important, condition, condition, and condition. If your records are not in great condition for vinyl and jacket then forget theower level stuff.

23. shinedaddy

I agree about condition. I just listed a bunch of very very nice $3 records. we will see how it goes. I have tons more if it goes well

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.