Your favorite Zappa/Mothers album?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by alexpop, Sep 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lschwart

lschwart Senior Member

If I had to choose, it would have to be Uncle Meat.

With Burnt Weenie Sandwich a very close second.

And Shut Up and Play Your Guitar and The Yellow Shark coming close behind that.

L.

chervokas likes this.
  2. I can't decide- Hot Rats, the Reuben's re-issue the ZFT issued, Bongo Fury, Sheik Yerboutti...WOW...Those must be the faves, but, to pick from one. Man, I don't know...

alexpop likes this.
  3. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

I can help you. Drop Sheik Yerbouti righ away (I don't like it, excepto for a couple of tunes), then complain about Bongo Fury not featuring more material from that tour, then consider that Ruben and The Jets is, after all, a parody album and does not portrait Frank as the great composer he was, and you have a winner: Hot Rats.
    (I couldn't choose only one album, but I can help others to do so :D).

Larry C. McGinnis III likes this.
  4. EndOfTheRainbow

EndOfTheRainbow I Want To See the Bright Lights Tonight

Uncle Meat by a mile, has some of the best music Zappa ever did, very sophisticated....and it is a damn funny album...
    Not the CD track line up though, the extra tracks do not help the album... the original LP is brilliant.. one of the best records ever made..

I would put Hot Rats right behind it...but still think Uncle Meat is the better album... it is not an easy album, not something you are going to catch by just listening to once, takes work, but it is worth it...

Beatnik_Daddyo'73 likes this.
  5. Freak Out

6. Matheusms

Matheusms Forum Resident

Burnt Weenie Sandwich. Beautiful music, absolutely insane and grandiose.

7. Moth

Moth fluttering by

Everything Zappa released up to 1970 is solid gold.
    My favorite has to be Uncle Meat. It's incredible.

8. GreenFuz

GreenFuz Senior Member

- Uncle Meat/ Burnt Weeny Sandwich/ Weasels Ripped My Flesh
    - Hot Rats
    & Waka Jawaka

If allowed only one: Uncle Meat or Hot Rats

9. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

Uncle Meat!!!!

10. Bemsha

Bemsha Forum Resident

For me it's Roxy & Elsewhere. The Roxy Band is best band he ever had. Second Studio Tan, because it has Greggery Peccary, which I love very much.

chalkpie likes this.
  11. Maseman66

Maseman66 Forum Resident

Hot Rats for me

12. blackdograilroad

blackdograilroad Forum Resident

Overnite Sensation cos it was the first Zappa I ever heard- I suppose it's also one of the more immediately accessible.................

13. sixtiesstereo

sixtiesstereo Senior Member

Definitely "We're Only In It For The Money" followed by "Reuben & The Jets". Not sure why so few picked
    "Money"....it's one of the best albums from the 60's.

[​IMG]

vince likes this.
  14. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

Yeah, I strongly prefer the original mono version included on Lumpy Money, minus the talking and such. I also love the additional instrumentation featured in the extended bonus track "How Did That Get In Here?", which I assume to be like outtakes from the Lumpy Gravy sessions.

Keith V likes this.
  15. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

I acquired an mp3 of the original tape release and that's pretty good as well. It's lousy quality but it's a nice short stereo album.

16. lschwart

lschwart Senior Member

FWIW, I never had to do any work with it. Loved it first time I heard it. Have loved it ever since.

L.

17. Larry Mc

Larry Mc Forum Dude

Joe's Garage

chalkpie likes this.
  18. Prophetzong

Prophetzong Forum Resident

Hot rats.....so addictive

So many great albums. I may change my mind later.

Apostrophe, Over-Nite Sensation, Chunga's Revenge, Weasels Ripped My Flesh, Joe's Garage, Sheik Yerbouti, Waka Jawaka, Grand Wazoo, Zoot Allures .So many greats to listen to

Last edited: Sep 22, 2014
  19. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

As time passed, I got used to the surrealistic talk and the noisy interruptions in Lumpy Gravy and ended loving it just the way it is. The instrumental version is beautiful too, a little short, maybe, and unfortunately it would have sound much better in stereo, as some other mixes included on Lumpy Money prove. The mono mix of WOIIFTM sounds better because the masters tapes were in better condition than those of the stereo version, but some parts function better within the two-channel landscape (the talking on "Flower Punk", for instance).

20. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

Tough one.

OVER-NITE SENSATION?
    ROXY & ELSEWHERE?
    ONE SIZE FITS ALL?

I can't choose.

21. ccbarr

ccbarr Forum Resident

For me it's Joe's Garage, great guitar work and to me it actually feels like it's telling a story.

Burnt Weeny Sandwich and the 4 albums of Lather material (Sleep Dirt, Orchestral Favorites, Studio Tan and Zappa In New York) are a close second. BWS is just a great musical album, and I love the variety of music on the Lather project. I have the release of the official Lather 3 CD set, but I made a playlist of Lather using the 4 individual albums and I like the feel of it better.

Sheik Yerbouti is a sentimental fave, it's the first Zappa album heard, and I loved it. The absurd humor, the great music, the variety, everything about it, I knew this guy was for me. So I have to inlcude it as well, as it influenced me to purchases all the Zappa reissues that came out back in 2012, 12 a month for 5 or 6 months in a row, minus the 3 or 4 I bought at Best Buy (I know Burnt Weeny Sandwich was one) at the time that further that further fueled my Zappa desire.

I finally listened to the last CD I ordered in 2012 about 2 weeks ago YCDTOSA 6, it was a nice listen. I wouldn't have let it go all this time but when these CDs came out back in 2012 you got 12 a month for 5 months an many of them were multiple CD sets, and I was also buying other music so I guess it slipped through the cracks for awhile. Glad I was checking my Zappa collection a couple weeks ago!

Last edited: Sep 22, 2014
  22. Atmospheric

Atmospheric Forum Resident

It's Weasels for me, as long as I can toss the title track in the trash (which I did).

I'm a big fan of the 70s band with George Duke, Napoleon, Chester, Tom, Ruth, et al. But The Best Band You Never Heard In Your Life is absolutely killer. Really, it's the only latter era stuff I really care for. I'd give the runner up nod to that one.

23. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

Civilization Phaze III

The "Mothers" is a brand. There was a bunch o' Mothers.

24. fuse999

fuse999 Forum Resident

Hot Rats

25. Jason Michael

Jason Michael Senior Member

Sorry to ask, but are you saying you made a playlist of the 4 individual albums using the Lather mixes as the source, or a Lather playlist using the mixes from the individual albums? Either way sounds interesting, and I may have to try them both!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.