Your favorite Zappa/Mothers album?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by alexpop, Sep 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John DeAngelis

John DeAngelis Senior Member

Me too. The first 2 sides.

2. Hamhead

Hamhead The Bear From Delaware

Man that's a hard question.....:confused:

Burnt Weenie, Weasels, Uncle Meat, Freak Out, Roxy, and Grand Wazoo all qualify

3. jimmydean

jimmydean Senior Member

zappa - hot rats
    mothers - we're only in it for the money

4. ArpMoog

ArpMoog Forum Resident

All of them, Overnight has a special place because it was the first I had as a kid and my mom wouldn't let me play Dina mo hum.
    Jets is a favorite and Free and Meat and Flesh and and and.

5. roberts67

roberts67 Forum Resident

Hot Rats. I never tire of Peaches en Regalia.

mmars982 likes this.
  6. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

Freak Out!
    Absolutely Free
    We're Only In It For The Money
    Lumpy Gravy

7. ccbarr

ccbarr Forum Resident

No problem, it's a Lather playlist using the songs from the original four albums (the 2012 reissues). I mainly did it at the time because at the time it was 2012 and Sleep Dirt, Orchestral Favorites, Studio Tan and Zappa In New York had all been reissued by the ZFT, but Lather was scheduled for later in the year. I remember searching the internet for some sort of guide to go by, (that was way before I knew about this great site) and in the end I used the track list from wikipedia, using the songs from the 4 albums I mentioned and omitting any songs not on them.

I know this isn't the version Frank wanted, but for some reason I listen to it more than the official release of Lather, which is good too. I guess I prefer "my" version for the same reason I still enjoy listening to some old CDRs of SMiLE albums I made, even though I have both box sets of TSS. I guess it was fun cobeling toghether versions of both with the limited material I had.

Here is the playlist so if you want to give it a listen you can, or for anyone else too. I know it's not as good as the real deal, but I enjoy it.

Regyptian Strut 4:13 Frank Zappa Sleep Dirt Rock
    Naval Aviation In Art? 1:22 Frank Zappa Orchestral Favorites Rock
    The Illinois Enema Bandit 12:45 Frank Zappa Zappa In New York [Disc 1] Rock
    Lemme Take You To The Beach 2:45 Frank Zappa Studio Tan Rock
    Revised Music For Guitar And Low-Budget Orchestra 7:35 Frank Zappa Studio Tan Rock
    RDNZL 8:13 Frank Zappa Studio Tan Rock
    Honey, Don't You Want A Man Like Me? 4:11 Frank Zappa Zappa In New York [Disc 1] Rock
    Black Page #2 5:36 Frank Zappa Zappa In New York [Disc 2] Rock
    Big Leg Emma 2:17 Frank Zappa Zappa In New York [Disc 2] Rock
    Flambay 4:52 Frank Zappa Sleep Dirt Rock
    The Purple Lagoon/Approximate 16:39 Frank Zappa Zappa In New York [Disc 2] Rock
    Pedro's Dowry 7:41 Frank Zappa Orchestral Favorites Rock
    I Promise Not To Come In Your Mouth 3:32 Frank Zappa Zappa In New York [Disc 1] Rock
    Spider Of Destiny 3:01 Frank Zappa Sleep Dirt Rock
    Duke Of Prunes 4:20 Frank Zappa Orchestral Favorites Rock
    Filthy Habits 7:34 Frank Zappa Sleep Dirt Rock
    Titties & Beer 7:36 Frank Zappa Zappa In New York [Disc 1] Rock
    The Ocean Is The Ultimate Solution 13:20 Frank Zappa Sleep Dirt Rock
    The Adventures Of Greggery Peccary 20:54 Frank Zappa Studio Tan Rock

Jason Michael and alexpop like this.
  8. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

Since the reason for this thread seems to be to identify other releases by FZ that are not yet on the OPs's radar, and not just Zappa/Mothers, I'll list my top several favorites of either.

Uncle Meat
    Hot Rats
    Burnt Weeny Sandwich
    Weasels Ripped my Flesh
    Chunga's Revenge
    Waka/Jawaka
    The Grand Wazoo
    Roxy
    Apostrophe
    One Size Fits All
    Sleep Dirt

Much like the Grateful Dead, I find much of Zappa's music to be unlistenable. On the other hand, a fair percentage of it is among the best music ever made.

mmars982 and LordThanos1969 like this.
  9. Gone4ABurton

Gone4ABurton Forum Resident

Gosh so many choices.....Uncle Meat, Burnt Weeny Sandwich, Only Money, Grand Wazoo...

But I gotta give some love to 200 Motels. Despite the sound quality, the band is rockin' (Magic Fingers, Mystery Roach), the orchestral pieces are sublime, Flo and Eddie nail the vocals, and it's got Strictly Genteel. That and it was my introduction to Zappa. A life changing experience.

kendo likes this.
  10. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits.... Thread Starter

Interesting playlist.
    Thinking of getting the old masters box.

11. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

Good choice. 200 Motels is terrific.

12. Bruriah

Bruriah Forum Resident

Burnt Weeny Sandwich (= absolutely fabulous, even mind altering musical experience)
    Weasels Ripped My Flesh (= ditto but maybe less)
    Uncle Meat (= great all over, I'm Suzy Creemcheese because I've never worn fake eyelashes in my whole life) :) :)

Last edited: Sep 23, 2014
  13. LordThanos1969

LordThanos1969 Forum Resident

My favorite is Freak Out. There are other titles in the Zappa discography I really like too, including Lumpy Gravy, Uncle Meat, Weasels Ripped My Flesh, Hot Rats, Just Another Band from LA, and Apostrophe. On the opposite side, there are three I completely despise and never plan to listen to again: Absolutely Free, Cruising with Ruben & the Jets, and Burnt Weeny Sandwich

14. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

That's curious. How come you enjoy Uncle Meat or Weasels but can't stand Sandwich? Could you elaborate a bit on why you hate those three albums you mention?

15. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

"Just Another Band From L.A." It's a nostalgia thing, remembering my mama singing along to "Billy the Mountain."

16. TheLazenby

TheLazenby Forum Resident In Memoriam

That wasn't a Mothers album. :p

17. TheLazenby

TheLazenby Forum Resident In Memoriam

People will hate me for this.... but "Francesco Zappa" is one of my favorite FZ albums. I dunno why, it's just so pleasant. :)

18. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

Nobody's gonna hate you (well, not me, at least). I gave that album several tries, but except for one of the movements (I can't remember which one), I've never liked it.

19. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

My favorites are the first two. I'm not much of a Zappa fan. Much respect for his artistry, little actual interest in listening to him.

20. alexpop

Turtles fan?

21. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Flo 'n' Eddie fan.

jukes and alexpop like this.
  22. alexpop

Or' Bang A Gong-T.Rex.:)

23. Mike B

Mike B Forum Resident

I don't think of an artist with more ups and downs IMO than Zappa. So much wonderful music, so much unlistenable nonsense.
    I like a lot of his songs but only a few entire albums, none more so than Apostrophe. It is a masterpiece of balance and album programming- starting off with some silly comedy that builds into musical excellence. His guitar tone and playing are impeccable and my god the drumming. And it's short so there's not time for Zappa to waste.

24. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

Apostrophe ('): "This is an album of songs and stories set to music performed for your
    dining and dancing pleasure". It seems it worked for you! I really like that album, but I prefer getting rid of uninvited dinners guests with Uncle Meat.

25. nolazep

nolazep Burrito Enthusiast

Hot Rats

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.