Lost - who's watching?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by whaaat, Dec 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. balzac

balzac Senior Member

I ended up buying that huge pyramid set on Blu-ray when it came out, just to get everything one shot. It’s very cool, but very much not “shelf friendly.” But I took a chance and just e-mailed Buena Vista and asked if I could purchase cases, covers, and slipcases to transfer the discs from the pyramid set into regular cases and essentially have sets identical to the “standard” BD versions.

They actually said yes. They wouldn’t send cases, but they said they would send cover art and slipcovers (if they still had them). I actually had to send them a check in the snail mail; it’s the only way they would do it. They actually ended up sending me all the slipcovers in addition to the covers. In a couple of cases, they actually sent cases as well. It ended up costing me something like $12 or $15 or something. Not sure how they arrived at the cost. I think they left stuff out of the first shipment, so they sent more stuff in a second. The whole process took ages, easily two or three months. They also didn’t cash my check for like 8 months or something ridiculous.

They would probably still do it now; although they probably long ago ran out of slipcases.

2. ky658

ky658 Senior Member

Ok, explain to me why Jorge Garcia's character on that show after 6 years on a desert island with little to eat NEVER "LOST" A POUND!!! :)

3. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

If you want that explained, you might as well also explain why the castaways remained so clean-cut and well groomed during all of their time on the Island. I know that if I were stranged on an island, the first thing that would go would be the shaving, followed by the haircut.

4. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

I also liked the ending, and Season 5.

I didn't at all feel it was a slap in the face, nor do the grooming and weight maintenance things bother me in the slightest. But hey, I've been different a long time.

5. DreadPikathulhu

I thought the ending was great. Yes, there were some things they left unexplained, but I'm fine with that.

I also realize it's a TV show. The cast on The Walking Dead are looking pretty healthy, too.

I've always wondered where the toilet is on the TARDIS. Maybe the Doctor doesn't use the toilet, but I'm sure the companions do.

6. DreadPikathulhu

alexpop likes this.
  7. balzac

balzac Senior Member

If I'm recalling correctly, in a bit of "meta referencing", this came up in a later episode of the show, and Garcia's character became flustered and offered a supposed explanation.

8. balzac

balzac Senior Member

I always enjoyed the hilarious permanent three-day stubble some of them had.

I also enjoyed how on some season premiers, some of the characters would miraculously have slightly new hairdos.

9. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

The show was a narrative mess populated by compelling characters.

Vidiot and wayneklein like this.
  10. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

My wife and I watched it early on, bingeing on season 1-2 on dvd, then watching live after that. Loved having a smart show that you tried to puzzle, discuss, watch a second time before the next week's show. Yeah it may not have ended perfectly, but we learned to adjust early on when some of the badass characters like Mr Eko quit and threw off a story line.

11. DreadPikathulhu

Didn't he have a large stash of ranch dressing?

12. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

He wasn't on the island for 6 years. He was on the island for approximately 3 months. Each of the 1st 3 seasons was about a month in the timeline of the show. Season 4 took place over the course of a few days, then he left the island and was off the island for 3 years. For the 3 months that he was there, he along with the rest of the survivors, found the food in the hatch. So, there ya go.

Far more difficult to explain is Jack's well-groomed buzz cut for most of the show's run. You can't do that with a pair of scissors. You need an electric hair buzzer for that. Maybe there was an outlet in the hatch. :) But of course, this is all fiction and for entertainment purposes only.

Vidiot and Bryan like this.
  13. DreadPikathulhu

He used the same hair buzzer that Sawyer used on his stubble.

Encuentro likes this.
  14. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

What's really ironic is that Jack waited until after he left the island to grow a thick beard, and just before going back to the island, he shaved it off.

15. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

We worked on an episode where it was revealed that Jorge's character had found more food supplies being parachuted to the island and had hidden the food for himself and was eating it all.

I believe the original crash was in September 2004, and the main cast members were able to leave about 90 days later. So most of the show encompasses just 3 months, except for the occasional jumps forward and backwards in time to the Army group in the 1950s, the Dharma group of the 1970s, the Island survivors in 2008, or the ancient times of Jacob and his unnamed brother, The Man in Black.

There was electricity in parts of the island, and the energy source within the island could create electricity. There's about 279 things more bizarre that are unexplained on the island than just the haircuts and facial hair.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.