The hifi system is done , over & out.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by The Good Guy, Sep 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Good Guy

The Good Guy Forum Resident Thread Starter

Ok never say never, but after spending 34 years upgrading my system here & there . I think I'm done.

Next month or November I will buy some power chords for my power amps but beyond that should be it.

I feel any upgrading beyond this will just leave me with an empty pocket & a possible mismatch.

I just want to enjoy the system & not worry about this & that. I had an idea of getting a new tonearm but since the 2M Blue upgrade I am happy.

For sure there might be better equipment/systems out there but for my room it good enough for me.

Anyone else feel the same way or you just can't wait to upgrade?

Thanks

namretsam and art like this.
  2. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

I felt this way about 20 years ago. Then I moved into a difficult room and things started failing on me. Hope you have a good long run.

norman_frappe likes this.
  3. Hipper

Hipper Forum Resident

I too am satisfied with my equipment but I've spent the last couple of years trying to extract the best out of it: speaker positioning, room treatment, digital EQ, and of late, isolation feet and platforms.

That I think will be it, although I'm intrigued by the concept of active crossovers and multi amps, and improved power supply, but I don't think I'm going to do anything about it, maybe.........

jupiterboy likes this.
  4. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

I know you have your heart set on Power Chords, but I like Em a lot... :D

jimbutsu and drahffir like this.
  5. RonW

RonW Forum Resident

Nope spent plenty of money already and am perfectly content with my choices. It's there to listen to the music for me not to want more. I'm happy for you!

Ntotrar likes this.
  6. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

Good luck with that.

7. jeffrey walsh

jeffrey walsh Senior Member

Does it feel better now?

8. Wngnt90

Wngnt90 Forum Resident

I'm totally happy with my systems....and have been for some time now. Just enjoying the music and rotating my 4 TT's whenever the mood dictates it.

9. motorcitydave

motorcitydave Enlightened Rogue In Memoriam

I can't wait to upgrade. I already upgraded my speakers about 2 years ago, now it's time for the amp and preamp. And maybe the turntable and cd player. :)

dvcarrick and No Static like this.
  10. VinylRob

VinylRob Forum Resident

So is that power chords, like Eddie Van Halen would make? Or is that power cords like Elrod would make?:)

Personally, I need more of both!

11. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

I'm also at the end of the upgrade path for my good system. As far as buying power chords I finished that when I bought all Telarc's Michael Murray CDs.

12. nm_west

nm_west Forum Resident

My ears can't hear anything better than what I'm stuck with, so my upgrade journey is over.
    It would be a different situation if I could hear the difference. Time to just sit back and enjoy what I have.

13. gregr

gregr Forum Resident

Nah. I need a DAC to bring my digital sources into the 21st century. And if I had more records, I'd upgrade my vinyl setup (but for now it's fine). And my speaker cables are 15 years old....

But I love the system now, too! It's just...it's just...one...more...thing.... :agree:

14. Nielsoe

Nielsoe Forum Resident

I feel like that for a week at a time. Then it stops and some hifi sales guy gets a smile on his face.

15. Alan2

Alan2 Forum Resident

I can't really upgrade any further - diminishing returns and my pocket isn't bottomless. Hard enough to maintain what I have, if I have to replace anything. Is there a way to downgrade? Anyone ever done this? Sorry to digress, but I've often wondered. . .

16. beowulf

beowulf Forum Resident

I think there is a thread that was recently started on that exact topic (downgrading).

Alan2 likes this.
  17. norman_frappe

norman_frappe Forum Resident

I did the opposite. I fairly recently moved into a much better room. Now things sound better than ever huge upgrade.

jupiterboy likes this.
  18. Rodney Toady

Rodney Toady Waste of cyberspace

This pretty much sums up how I feel.

19. beowulf

beowulf Forum Resident

I have a clear cut set of goals in mind that I want to achieve over time, but I'm satisfied and enjoying what I have.

20. Ortofun

Ortofun Well-Known Member

What!

You mean there is an end to this stuff? LOL, I'm a bit of a gear head as well as loving the music, and I love to push that complementary pairing to extract more connection with the music.

I can be happy as is....and am, but there can be more, and more again.

At the end of the day, each of us has different likes and dislikes, and different end goals........I'm extremely happy for anyone that makes it to where they are happy and can leave it at that regardless of what I like to do, or do.

So a double thumbs up for you Good Guy :edthumbs:

21. mdm08033

mdm08033 Senior Member

When I added a receiver with HDMI and lossless deciding to a $99 SACD/DVD-Audio transport I hit my definition of sonic nirvana. Two years ago I cut the cord with a Blu-ray transport and a rooftop antenna and found good enough video. I'm done for a long time.

22. Coricama

Coricama Classic Rocker

Mission accomplished then, congratulations!

23. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

I've finished off my first "complete" hi-end system recently. Only took 20 years of ups and downs before finding my way over the past 5 or so years. Still so much to learn with my current system before mounting a more ambitious project. Meantime, I'm working on the music collection. Fun times!

24. motorcitydave

motorcitydave Enlightened Rogue In Memoriam

Nice system! :)

jh901 likes this.
  25. Ken Clark

Ken Clark Forum Resident

"I think I'm done...next month I will buy..." perfectly sums up this hobby!

motorcitydave and jupiterboy like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.