New French CD: Frank Sinatra "Live in Paris 5 & 7 Juin 1962" (incl. parts of "Sinatra & Sextet...")

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by paulmock, Jul 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident Thread Starter

I see there is a new reissue of Sinatra & Sextet Live in Paris upcoming. It has a new cover using some Can-can graphics. I believe it is being released in the U.K. (I would post a copy of it here but...never mind! :realmad:

2. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Could be the original boot with a new cover. If so, the sound may be unretouched mono, i.e. better than the official issue, and slightly different contents. Enabled by expiration of 50-year copyright protection in the EU.

3. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Actually, it's a French issue. Amazon France is showing 26 tracks, but no song titles yet. That's the same as the Reprise and UMG releases. (Original unofficial CD had 24 tracks, so my theorizing in the previous post is probably faulty.)

4. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

I'll stick with my MOFI Live In Paris with the mono button selected.

rangerjohn likes this.
  5. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

FWIW, when Chuck Granata programs LIVE IN PARIS for Nancy Sinatra's Sirius/XM radio show, he uses the unofficial (mono) CD. (There are some differences in editing which are very obvious.) That's why I don't mind talking about it despite its b**tleg status.

6. grumpy old man

grumpy old man Forum Resident

Bob, this link has the track list:
    http://www.fremeaux.com/index.php?option...=1581&Itemid=13

So, it looks like that CD features the Lido Concert without "Nancy" but plus two tracks from the Olympia Concert, i.e. "I Love Paris" and "Come Fly With Me". "Nancy" is obviously being omitted because it is incomplete on the 'master tape'.

Bob F likes this.
  7. grumpy old man

Tricky French guys, they blocked that link. Here Comes the copied long, long track list. You might destroy it after having read it!
    CDPisteTitreArtiste principalAuteurDuréeEnregistré en
    11Introduction by louis merlinLouis Merlin Louis Merlin 00:00:211962
    12Goody goodyFrank Sinatra/bill Miller/al Viola/ralph Pena/irv Cottler/emil Richards/harry Klee Johnny Mercer 00:01:191962
    13ImaginationFrank Sinatra/bill Miller/al Viola/ralph Pena/irv Cottler/emil Richards/harry Klee Johnny Burke 00:02:321962
    14At long last loveFrank Sinatra/bill Miller/al Viola/ralph Pena/irv Cottler/emil Richards/harry Klee Cole Porter 00:02:301962
    15Moonlight in vermontFrank Sinatra/bill Miller/al Viola/ralph Pena/irv Cottler/emil Richards/harry Klee J. Blackburn 00:03:261962
    16Without a songFrank Sinatra/bill Miller/al Viola/ralph Pena/irv Cottler/emil Richards/harry Klee B. Rose 00:02:541962
    17Day in day outFrank Sinatra/bill Miller/al Viola/ralph Pena/irv Cottler/emil Richards/harry Klee Johnny Mercer 00:02:351962
    18I've got you under my skinFrank Sinatra/bill Miller/al Viola/ralph Pena/irv Cottler/emil Richards/harry Klee Cole Porter 00:03:011962
    19I get a kick out of youFrank Sinatra/bill Miller/al Viola/ralph Pena/irv Cottler/emil Richards/harry Klee Cole Porter 00:03:121962
    110The second time aroudFrank Sinatra/bill Miller/al Viola/ralph Pena/irv Cottler/emil Richards/harry Klee Sammy Cahn 00:03:141962
    111Too marvelous for wordsFrank Sinatra/bill Miller/al Viola/ralph Pena/irv Cottler/emil Richards/harry Klee Johnny Mercer 00:01:481962
    112My funny valentineFrank Sinatra/bill Miller/al Viola/ralph Pena/irv Cottler/emil Richards/harry Klee Lorenz Hart 00:02:561962
    113In the still of the nightFrank Sinatra/bill Miller/al Viola/ralph Pena/irv Cottler/emil Richards/harry Klee J. Trent 00:03:401962
    114April in parisFrank Sinatra/bill Miller/al Viola/ralph Pena/irv Cottler/emil Richards/harry Klee E.y. Harburg 00:02:331962
    115You're nobody till somebody loves youFrank Sinatra/bill Miller/al Viola/ralph Pena/irv Cottler/emil Richards/harry Klee J. Cavanaugh 00:04:191962
    116Monologue they can't take that away from meFrank Sinatra/bill Miller/al Viola/ralph Pena/irv Cottler/emil Richards/harry Klee G And I Gerschwin 00:03:211962
    117All the wayFrank Sinatra/bill Miller/al Viola/ralph Pena/irv Cottler/emil Richards/harry Klee Sammy Cahn 00:02:201962
    118ChicagoFrank Sinatra/bill Miller/al Viola/ralph Pena/irv Cottler/emil Richards/harry Klee Fred Fischer 00:02:301962
    119Night and dayFrank Sinatra/bill Miller/al Viola/ralph Pena/irv Cottler/emil Richards/harry Klee Cole Porter 00:04:111962
    120One for my babyFrank Sinatra/bill Miller/al Viola/ralph Pena/irv Cottler/emil Richards/harry Klee Johnny Mercer 00:05:561962
    121I could have danced all nightFrank Sinatra/bill Miller/al Viola/ralph Pena/irv Cottler/emil Richards/harry Klee A.j. Lerner 00:02:481962
    122A foggy dayFrank Sinatra/bill Miller/al Viola/ralph Pena/irv Cottler/emil Richards/harry Klee G. And I. Gerschwin 00:02:431962
    123Ol man riverFrank Sinatra/bill Miller/al Viola/ralph Pena/irv Cottler/emil Richards/harry Klee Oscar Hammerstein Ii 00:03:581962
    124The lady is a trampFrank Sinatra/bill Miller/al Viola/ralph Pena/irv Cottler/emil Richards/harry Klee Lorenz Hart 00:04:021962
    125I love parisFrank Sinatra/bill Miller/al Viola/ralph Pena/irv Cottler/emil Richards/harry Klee Cole Porter 00:03:051962
    126Come fly with meFrank Sinatra/bill Miller/al Viola/ralph Pena/irv Cottler/emil Richards/harry Klee Sammy Cahn 00:03:511962

8. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Here —> (at www.fremeaux.com)

They also added "All the Way," so not a duplicate of either the (Encore) boot or the official release.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2014
  9. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

An examination of the track listing and track times shows this to be primarily from the Lido concert of 5 June 1962, rather than the Olympia show of 7 June. Introduction by Louis Merlin, not Charles Aznavour.

So, it is not a clone of the official album (which incorrectly claimed to be from the Lido in its original CD release) OR from the Encore CD which I referenced above. (There was another CD on the Decade label which contained this concert.)

10. grumpy old man

Except for "The Second Time Around" the track times of all songs of the new Fremeaux CD are identical with the track times of the aforementioned Decade label CD. The Decade label CD already contained "All The Way", but did not include the short Louis Merlin introduction.

Bob F likes this.
  11. MarkusGermany

MarkusGermany WINNING

Maybe I'll order it. I only have the original Reprise CD...

12. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

Great cover!
    51vFahi5HnL._SY355_.jpg

13. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

(Thanks to Matt for splitting this discussion away from its previous thread.)

Having now heard the CD, I can settle some of the earlier speculation...

First of all, contrary to the thread title and OP, this Is NOT a new version of SINATRA AND SEXTET: LIVE IN PARIS. Grumpy had it right when he said:
    Except for the last two tracks, this disc has the same contents as the underground CD on the Decade label titled THE ULTIMATE PERFORMER. (With one additional track: the 20-second introduction in French by Louis Merlin, off-mic and very poor quality.)

This concert was recorded at the Lido on 5 June 1962, two days earlier than the Olympia concert found on the "official" Reprise, UMG, and MFSL issues. (Note that the official CD liner notes mistakenly referred to that as this Lido concert.) As noted, it is not quite the complete concert, as "Nancy" is missing, but I find a number of these tracks to be better performances than their Olympia counterparts.

Sound quality: Mono, with an attempt to shift focus to the left of center by lowering the right channel levels. This was probably captured off Sinatra's vocal mic only, so the sextet is somewhat washed out and relegated to the background. It's no worse than the fake stereo processing on the official CD. I wish they had just left it in pure mono, but you can easily roll your own by duplicating the left channel on the right.

The final two tracks are taken from the Olympia concert of 7 June 1962—same as on the official CD, but with non-musical extensions. (The sound is noticeably different on these.) "I Love Paris" includes additional intro patter, and "Come Fly with Me" extends the closing audience fanfare for nearly a minute after the music stops. These were probably added because those two songs were not performed at the first concert. I'm surprised that they didn't also include "Nancy" from the Olympia date.

Overall, this is a worthwhile addition to anyone's Sinatra collection, IMO.

14. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

^^^^^Nice review, Bob. As always, your expertise and knowledge are appreciated.

(Also, I re-tweaked the thread title.)

hodgo and Bob F like this.
  15. MarkusGermany

MarkusGermany WINNING

I ordered the CD from amazon.fr (first order from France) for 20,-€. I'm curious about the SQ.

16. MarkusGermany

MarkusGermany WINNING

Got my copy today. I'll listen to it soon.

17. MarkusGermany

MarkusGermany WINNING

The SQ is decent and the content seems to be a nice addition to my collection. The two extra tracks from "Sinatra &Sextet" (?) sound great - much better than on the Reprise CD release (1994)...

MLutthans likes this.
  18. frankfan1

frankfan1 Some days I feel like Balok

I just saw that another company has issued a Seattle concert on cd...but looks like a rip off of the Artanis issue.

19. So does anyone think this latest release is actually better than the original 1994 Live In Paris album, either in terms of sound or performance overall?

20. I guess not!

Jimmy B. likes this.
  21. MarkusGermany

MarkusGermany WINNING

Only the SQ of the two extra tracks is better than the '94 mastering IMO. But still a nice addition to my collection.

SteveM likes this.
  22. Thanks, Markus! In terms of performance how, in your opinion, does this show stack up against the Live In Paris (7th June) set? I've read that he was getting tired towards the end of the tour so presumably earlier shows = better shows? If I was to get just ONE of these two, which one IYHO should I get? Don't worry I'm not going to complain afterwards! :D

23. MarkusGermany

MarkusGermany WINNING

I would take the '94 Reprise CD.

SteveM likes this.
  24. kennyluc1

kennyluc1 Frank Sinatra collector

Finally got this one. I had the original Decade CD for years, I think this is louder and more equalized, not as murky. I agree with Bob this is a decent addition.

MarkusGermany and Bob F like this.
  25. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

Also, @Bob F and @MMM , I have been learning a TON from your posts on SFF lately. I read the entire 41 pages about the BBB. Right now I'm reading about the '57 Seattle show, which I picked up on iTunes (the CD is crazy expensive). You two (and others) have provided so much great info. Every day I look forward to reading more of your posts.

People keep referring to a Sinatra in Paris live album. Do they mean the Sinatra and Sextet album? Or is there some other legendary release I'm missing?

Simon A, DmitriKaramazov, MMM and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.