The hifi system is done , over & out.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by The Good Guy, Sep 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. theron d

theron d Forum Resident

Pretty much done. Got some good speakers (Harbeth), room treatment (OC703), nice integrated (Luxman) that mates well and an older DAC that holds its own (PS Audio DLIII). Always tinkering with cartridges and small stuff, but the overall big picture is complete for me....feels good. Bring on the music...

art likes this.
  2. BuddhaBob

BuddhaBob Forum Resident

Yeah, I said this once. Once.

Ortofun and motorcitydave like this.
  3. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

A mature, 'dialed in' system is a thing of joy that allows you to focus on the music, not the gear.

4. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I'm happy with what I have too.

5. Lovealego

Lovealego Senior Member

I feel pretty much the same way. I'm done with upgrading.... Once I finally replace my turntable and retire my speakers (15 years old now) it will take me probably 5 years at least to make those two changes though.

After that something will have to actually break to be replaced.

The deciding factor? I spent some time with a state of the art 6 figure system and truth be told I didn't feel it was that much better than my current system which is probably worth less than 5 grand in the used market today.

bhazen likes this.
  6. utahusker

utahusker Senior Member

I'm very happy with my current system. That said if I had an over abundance of disposable cash, I'd put together a whole new system from scratch. I love to shop for audio gear:pineapple:

Ortofun likes this.
  7. raferx

raferx Forum Resident

I think it's tough to just stop cold and say "I'm done forever."
    Tastes can change or improve with time, exposure to another system could prompt an upgrade or a swap...
    Just saying.

Ortofun likes this.
  8. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

[​IMG]

9. ls35a

ls35a Forum Resident

I got my Quads about three years ago - final speakers. Of course every now and then I'll buy something else to listen to it for awhile just for fun.

But the Quads are here forever.

I've pretty much finished with amplification - ARC pre and ROGUE power.

Digital sources will get updated about every five years, if there's been any progress in that area.

10. The Good Guy

The Good Guy Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies , I visited the National Audio show in the UK & I heard Clearaudio/Kef Blades/Icon/Audionote UK & the Abyss headphones . They sounded better but not to the point I felt my system was outclassed & back to the drawing board. Naturally I allowing for wear & tear but I just heard the Clasanets & finger clicking on Byon Ar Stomp & the telephone ring on the Ocean & Life On Mars . Anything beyond that is scale & power & my room isn't big enough for it.

11. VinylRob

VinylRob Forum Resident

The concept of being done is a nice notion, and certainly something to strive towards... Yet personally, I'm reluctant to use phrases like "for ever", or "never", or "always", especially related to the equipment aspect of hobby, because I'd like to fancy myself as somewhat of a realist. Now if someone says they are done, than OK, I'll except that... and then I guess I'll wait and see. There is no reason why it could not be true, just once, anyway.

On the other hand, I'm not much of a compulsive tweaker, nor am I an impulse buyer, perhaps, like yourself. Just because the music is really the focus, and like many of you, I been at this a while. Now on the vinyl purchasing side of the equation... some (not here) may suggest that attending Analogues Anonymous is in do order.

12. Thing Fish

Thing Fish “Jazz isn't dead. It just smells funny.”

'HiFi system is done'

No it ain't...:)

tim185 likes this.
  13. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

The only finish line for an enthusiastic hobbyist is 6 feet under.

14. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

Speak for yourself

norman_frappe, jh901, Ortofun and 2 others like this.
  15. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

My 5 year plan still includes more gear. Too much happening in headphones in the past few years, right now, and in the future, to call it done. Headphone amps are getting better. Headphones are getting better. I'm in upgrade mode.

It's not that I don't enjoy what I've got (I do, I really do). It's just that there is so much more potential. Maybe in 5 years I'll be able to say "OK things are finally fantastic now. It's OK to stop.". Maybe. I hope so.

But if I absolutely had to stop at where I'm at right now (OK, give me till the end of the year, I've got more gear on the way) I'd be doing pretty good with headphone sound. Better than I imagined I'd be just a few years ago.

... and then I'd find I need better speaker listening. And a proper turntable setup is nagging at me...

As long as the gear doesn't come at the expense of being able to continue to explore and acquire and afford new music. Or at the expense of being able to enjoy the music I have.

16. TeflonScoundrel

TeflonScoundrel Forum Resident

I feel like I have the main components in place to keep me happy for quite some time, although I know myself well enough to say it's unlikely to last forever. I also have a smaller secondary system, which I really enjoy, and I think having the two different sounding options will help with keeping me enjoying both longer than either would on its own.

There are some upgrades/tweaks I'd like to do on my turntables over time, like the Rega TT-PSU & white belt for my RP3 and the Scout 1.1 aluminum platter for my Scout 1, but I don't see any components changing for a while. ( I will concede the possibility I am full of it and reserve the right to buy something else new tomorrow :winkgrin:)

17. The Good Guy

The Good Guy Forum Resident Thread Starter

Did you read my opening paragraph? I have been spending money & tinkering for 34 years!!! If I couldn't get a good sound now I never will. What I wanted out of a system was as if the musicians were playing in my room. To play whisper quiet & rocking loud & to be even handed on all types of recordings (forget brick walled ) & not be in a situation where only ultra audiophile recordings sounded good but I would pass up on some early Rolling Stones. I have that so job done. Thanks

18. tim185

tim185 Forum Resident

Don't get the musicians in the room thing. My goal is as good of an aural picture as possible. Unless it's a live album, having it sound like live musicians in a room dosent mean much to me.

I am a musician/guitarist with a purpose built room I listen and play in. " live" sound is something I look for when I plug in my guitar , not when I'm going to listen to a studio recording. To each their own though.

19. Ortofun

Ortofun Well-Known Member

I longer fear death :)

20. deniall

deniall Well-Known Member

No pics, no care..

21. Ortofun

Ortofun Well-Known Member

Oh, yeah...going cold turkey would be uncomfortable.....for me at least :)

raferx likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.