There’s A Part For William Shatner In STAR TREK 3

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Deesky, Sep 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident Thread Starter

...the script for Star Trek 3 includes a scene that reteams Shatner and Nimoy onscreen as Kirk and Spock for the first time in canon since 1991's Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country.

...unlike the cameo intended for 2009's Star Trek this appearance is plot-driven and integral enough that it might just survive any future revisions

http://badassdigest.com/2014/09/22/theres-a-part-for-william-shatner-in-star-trek-3/

2. SonOfAlerik

SonOfAlerik Forum Resident

Maybe it will be Mirror, Mirror Spock and Kirk.

Simon A likes this.
  3. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

Mazzy, Simon A and IronWaffle like this.
  4. Deesky

Yes, great sentiments:

"What I really believe we should do now is strive for originality...

Let’s not forget that Star Trek as envisioned was about space exploration. It would be really wonderful to harness the spirit of that and apply it to the next film, so that we do something different than a revenge-based picture".

I couldn't agree more. But over and above that, make a film that feels like Trek, rather than a random scifi action extravaganza.

5. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

How can Shatner reprise Kirk when a bridge fell on him?

guy incognito likes this.
  6. Deesky

It's an alternate time-line?

7. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

They've already established that the new Trek is the alternate time line. In the "real' timeline, Kirk has been dead for quite some time.

I actually wouldn't mind them removing that from continuity and giving Kirk the death he deserved.

8. Deesky

Well, I must admit that I'm not really keeping up with the happenings in nuTrek as I find the new movies underwhelming. But I do know that in the movies the death of character need not be fatal. :)

9. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

No, in the new timeline, Kirk is only about 30 years old. He's got a long way to go before he gets killed... and with so much of the storyline changed, perhaps things will turn out differently this time. The future has a weird habit of changing, particularly when you tamper with the past.

10. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Great idea.

11. EddieVanHalen

EddieVanHalen Forum Resident

God, I thought we were done with Shatner on Star Trek. Dreadful actor. I thought for many years he was an OK actor as I had only watched (and listened to) Star Trek dubbed into Spanish, and it turns out that the guy who dubbed him into Spanish, Constantino Romero (who also dubbed Darth Vader, Terminator/Arny and many more), was a fantastic dubbing actor. The first time on my teens I watched Star Trek The Motion Picture and Wrath Of Khan in English, what a shock/flop.

12. kevintomb

kevintomb Forum Resident

Horrible idea. The new series of movies, had so much potential, but they are squandering it on recycling old story lines, cheesy dialog and a lot of action and flashing lights mostly.

What a waste of tens of millions of dollars.

guy incognito likes this.
  13. Hot Ptah

Hot Ptah Forum Resident In Memoriam

How can even the Hollywood makeup magic people make William Shatner and Leonard Nimoy look young now?

14. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

I liked the first movie (aside from the lens flares) better than Into Darkness (which was just a Wrath Of Khan rewrite).

Darryl

lbangs likes this.
  15. robertawillisjr

robertawillisjr Music Lover

That is the new Kirk. Shatner is the "old" Kirk who is dead. How is he going to partner with the "old" Spock? :confused: Did I miss something.

16. AztecChimera

AztecChimera Forum Resident

[​IMG]

pscreed, bferr1, ssmith3046 and 5 others like this.
  17. kevintomb

kevintomb Forum Resident

I read where they want to do it to

"Appease fans that have not yet embraced the new star trek".....

Sadly they have ZERO understanding of why many fans do not care for the "new" star trek.

It has nothing to do with it being different, or not "Like" old star trek, it has everything to do with it being poorly written, stealing ideas from old trek, and catering to mostly a summer movie popcorn type of audience, and focusing on "looks and action", much more than any hint of exploration or science fiction etc.

Deesky likes this.
  18. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

Those are three words I have never seen together in my life.

A bit unfair to call him automatically better than Shatner without attempting the role on screen.

19. EddieVanHalen

EddieVanHalen Forum Resident

Totally fair as Contastino Romero never pursued an acting career, but he was a fantastic Dubbing actor and T.V. anchor.

20. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

In today's news: Old fans of an old TV show continue to bitch incessantly...film at 11.

21. kevintomb

kevintomb Forum Resident

Totally missing the point.

I think the old show is quite sucky in many ways.

The new movies are simply sucky in totally different ways.

They had a "Clean slate" to do anything and make some great movies, but instead recycle crap from the old show and just fight and flash lights.

Progress??

22. kevintomb

kevintomb Forum Resident

I liked the first one better. The second one...not sure what happened, but the story was so derivative and it even lacked sense within its own fictional world they created.

To me its like "Guys, you got 100 million....get something that makes sense and is at least semi-logical, and does not rely totally on action..."....

Rant over..lol

greelywinger likes this.
  23. AztecChimera

AztecChimera Forum Resident

Uh, no. My problem with it is that Pine and Quinto are doing great work rebooting the Kirk and Spock characters, but the execs think the audience needs the crutch of Nimoy's Spock and Shatner's Kirk to buy in. I'm generally not a fan of "time travel/alternate reality" devices because I think they let the writers cheat too much. But to do it again after doing it in ST2009? After the lame Khan rewrite of ST:ID? Well, why not have Sean Connery show up as an 85-year-old holographic 007 in Bond 24?

Let Quinto do his own work without a pointy-eared shadow on his shoulder all day.

Tristero, jupiter8 and Deesky like this.
  24. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Who's the current Kirk (Chris Pine) going to be in the future? William Shatner. Just extend the current films another 40+ years later, and that's what he could look like. (Don't ask me how Spock shrinks 8" when he becomes an old man.)

25. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

I personally don't want old Kirk or Spock anywhere near these reboots. I hated it when they shoe-horned Kirk into Star Trek:Generations many years ago...and I still think having old Spock in both of the past two films was one of the worst decisions they made.

Trust your new cast...and trust the intelligence of your audience to be able to connect with these characters without having to bring in the Geritol players.

guy incognito and AztecChimera like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.