I want to buy a jukebox to play singles

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Greg(ory), Sep 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Greg(ory)

Greg(ory) Some Stupid With A Space Gun Thread Starter

and I know nothing about them. can anyone offer any advice for a complete novice?

2. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Buy what the operators in your area ran make wise. That way you have older operators around to assist you. I recommend Rock-Ola or AMI-Rowe when possible. Simpler mechanism, both are reliable and easier to repair. Both are easier on cartridge options. Seeburgs only take their own cartridge, and while excellent, are much more complicated in the selector system and mechanism. In the USA, the NSM jukeboxes are much more difficult on parts and service, and up there in complexity with the Seeburgs. Wurlitzers are also more complex to work on. The Jukebox-List is recommended as a resource on coin operated phonos. A AMI Rowe R 88 or R 92 would be a great sounding late model 45 RPM machine for $500-$600 in nice order. Those were reliable tanks and well proven.

Greg(ory) likes this.
  3. BuddhaBob

BuddhaBob Forum Resident

Are there many tube-based jukes out there that are relatively complete? I'd think that the amps, or at least the tube sets, would have been parted out for hifi use by now. Of course, there is always something out there in storage, I guess.

4. jkauff

jkauff Senior Member

Whatever you buy, make sure you get a new cartridge so you don't harm your 45s.

Peter Pyle, Greg(ory) and BuddhaBob like this.
  5. Thermionic Dude

Thermionic Dude Forum Resident

Here are a couple of links to coin-op shops. I've never owned a jukebox, but have bought pinball machines from both companies and can vouch for their excellent service; they carry all manner of gameroom stuff, including a large selection of used and new jukeboxes, and I'd personally trust their advice (they usually have a lot more stuff available than what is on their web sites). Game Exchange in particular seems to have an uncanny ability to source even the most esoteric of pinball parts, and I'd imagine they would do the same for a jukebox. Both companies ship stuff all over, and are used to working with the freight companies; options will range from curbside/liftgate delivery (often no charge) to in-home white glove service (usually costs roughly $500 for a pinball, would be comparable for a jukebox - worth the cost in my opinion because this stuff is HEAVY and easily damaged with improper moving, and I'd rather the liability for damages fall on them than me).

Game Exchange of Colorado (Denver)

Automated Services (CT)

Here's one other shop. I've not dealt with them, but my brother had a good experience buying a used arcade game from them (was very well packed for shipping, arrived unharmed, and he states they were very friendly and responsive to emails). They carry a large selection of jukeboxes (but you might need to call or email to get a complete inventory).

Greg(ory) likes this.
  6. eurekaiv

eurekaiv Active Member

Been looking for a jukebox myself... very interested in hearing any more tips/recommendations.

McLover and BuddhaBob like this.
  7. McLover

McLover Senior Member

There are tube based jukeboxes still extant. Do remember, they are mainly visible mech based and more expensive. I recommend a jukebox which has a magnetic cartridge and a 1/2" mount. Which cuts your costs and is kinder to your records. Solid state AMI/Rowes use Shure magnetic cartridges in them and are kind to records, as do post 1968 Rock-Ola jukeboxes. The AMI tube visible mechanism jukeboxes are excellent, from the middle 1950's forward to the AMI Continental II. The Music Merchants were the first AMI/Rowe models and excellent choices. These are easier to maintain and keep running. Seeburgs are more expensive and complex to repair, and their proprietary Pickering cartridges have expensive and hard to find styli with no alternative cartridge options. Which is why I don't recommend them as much. Likewise, Wurlitzers are also more complicated mechanically and the last mechanism they made in the USA is problem plagued, the Wurlamatic. Deutsche Wurlitzers are more difficult on parts and more expensive parts.

My favorite jukebox as a daily player is the AMI Rowe models from the MM series forward. They are reliable, simpler than most, have great sound quality, and have Shure M 44 cartridges factory fitted. Parts are still reasonably available. In my area, most every operator ran these jukeboxes. They had the best reliability and easy to keep them running. They had fewer repairs than most everybody else save for Rock-Ola in that era. And they are priced fairly most of the time.

8. Greg(ory)

Thanks everyone, some great context for research

9. nightfall

nightfall Senior Member

You also need to be at least a little bit mechanically inclined, as jukes always need tweaking every now and then to fix some small (or not so small) problem. I have two Rockola's and can recommend them for being pretty easy to work on.

McLover likes this.
  10. Greg(ory)

Thanks, I am somewhat mechanically inclined, but I will definitely look for the less finicky models

11. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Some other useful tips, get the manuals for your model. Join the Jukebox E mail list, often a very helpful resource. Enjoy the music.

12. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

For sound I agree, but jukeboxes aren't easy on records, regardless. I wouldn't put anything in it you can't replace for a buck or two.

13. br6388

br6388 Forum Resident

I have a 1968 Seeburg LS2 and it's VERY HEAVY and hard to move. Make sure your floor can handle moving a 200 to 300 pound juke box that's on wheels.

14. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Yes, these beasts are extremely heavy. 180-300 pounds easily.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.