Modernized Digital Cinerama: Barco Escape

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Vidiot, Sep 4, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR! Thread Starter

Got pretty good reviews and made a ton o' dough. They already green-lit the sequel, which is generally a good sign.

I'm curious how many people will see Maze Runner in the super-wide Barco format...

2. No Static

No Static Gain Rider

May be a dumb question but how different is this from Imax or Circlevision? I remember seeing the new 'Star Trek' at the Alabama Space and Rocket Center's Imax theatre. I was sitting in the middle of the theatre and I had a difficult time following the action. It gave me a headache, too.

3. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

Will be seeing this either Thursday or Friday in Woodridge, IL, in Barco Escape format. Will report back.

4. captainsolo

captainsolo Forum Resident

Attack of the Clones. There on that screen, in Omnimax, all over the dome. Can you say physically ill?

5. MLutthans

Ummm........this visual representation of what to expect:
    [​IMG]
    ....is 100% complete and utter Photoshopped bull****, at least compared to what I experienced tonight near Chicago.

Here is reality in Woodridge, IL, one of only five theatres in the country equipped to show this thing:
    Escape1.jpg
    Above: first off, as you walk in, it is obvious that the side screens are very nearly at a right angle to the center screen, unlike the publicity shot at the top. WAY different!

Escape2.jpg
    Above: The ceiling tiles are traditional 2'x4' tiles, so the "splay" in the screens from the "hinge" to the outer edge is roughly 2' (since the screen does not actually touch the wall). The result is a viewing experience that is very close to sitting in a box and having an image -- or rather, three pseudo-connected-but-not-connected images -- displayed on three sides of the box. Note, too, the position of the side projectors near the ceiling, and, problematically, that if you sit in the first row ahead of the walkway, you are actually looking UP at the BOTTOM of the image, which does not provide a very "enveloping" experience. Note, too, that the screens do not touch. You thought Cinerama join lines were bad? Hoo-chee mama!

Escape3.jpg
    Above: Ignore the on-screen image, which is from pre-show commercials, etc. For the MAZE RUNNER movie, the entire scope width of the center screen was used -- or very close to it. As you can imagine, the absolute outer edges can not be filled, because the side screen slightly blocks off that area.

Escape4.jpg
    Above: Again, ignore the on-screen pre-show image. Look at that gap!

Before the show, a brief video along the lines of "The movie you are about to see is an experiment..." yada yada, hyping up Barco and hyping up the scenes shot in "Escape," was played. The guy also mentions that the Escape technology is only used twice: Briefly near the beginning of the film (and by briefly, he means for the duration of an elevator ride, so....45 seconds maybe -- and poorly utilized at that, IMO) and again about midway through the film (which seemed like an eternity later, and much closer to the end, but it ran for maybe 3 minutes or so).

How was the experience? It was so bad, I could not believe that I was even looking at it, NEVER MIND THAT I FLEW TO OMAHA, THEN DROVE WITH MY PAL LARRY TO ILLINOIS TO SEE IT. This thing is (IMO) not worth driving to the next room to see.

You know how when an HD newscast shows an old news clip that was shot in SD, and they add in this kind of shadowy representation of the video over on the sides to kind of make the footage seems sorta maybe wide-screen-ish? "Escape" is not quite to that point, but it's nearly there. The actors, as far as I noticed, NEVER -- not even once -- appeared in any way, shape, or form on the side screens. In fact, there were a few shots wherein their arms or legs or even entire bodies moved off the side of the center image, and I expected to see them move over to the side panel, but, instead, the side panel was just the scene's surrounding. The sides were almost literally nothing more than window dressing. Where'd that arm or leg disappear to?????? This occurred multiple times, and made me strongly suspect that the "stuff" that appeared on the side screens was largely or entirely CGI'd after the fact to make the film conform to this neat-o skeet-o Escape format. It really sucked. On the elevator ride in the beginning, ALL of the action that you needed to see was in the center panel. Imagine, if you will, that you are riding in a cube-ish freight elevator, with metal-grate siding on the left and right, and that this elevator was in a very closely-conforming elevator shaft, and as you rode up that elevator, some light from the elevator would spill over onto the side walls of the shaft, creating some shadows along the shaft wall. That's what was on the side panel. You know what it made me think? "This is like being in a box" -- or under a bottomless box, to be more accurate. You know what it made my friend Larry lean over and ask me? "Are the side projectors on now?" I kid you not.

[EDIT: I see that in my earlier post I said this:
    <<•From the article: "In the case of The Maze Runner, the film was shot in a traditional way, before the decision to use Escape was made. " Oooh, that doesn't sound good. (That said: It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World was not filmed for Cinerama theatres, but is generally loved by Cinerama fans, so I won't throw any stones just yet.)>>

So yes...shot after the fact. Continuing....]

Regarding cross-reflection: It is here not just in spades, but in spades on steroids.

Back in the 1952-1960-ish days of Cinerama, before MGM got involved, the join lines were the join lines, and nothing much was done to mask them. When MGM came on the scene for two films that were released in 1962, they did some tricks to mask the join lines, i.e., they would have an actor stand between two alder trees for a static shot, and gosh, those two alder trees just "happened" to be along the join lines, and if there was a little flicker on the join line it was much less distracting than if there was an obvious join line on, say, Karl Malden's extended arm.

I am pretty sure that the producers of this film are doing the same type of thing to mask the humongous seams and the reflection across the seams, i.e., the center of the center panel might be bright as day, but there'd be a much-darker rock formation or something at the edge on both sides, so as to avoid cross-screen (from center screen to side screen, near the corners) washout from bright reflections occurring there.

I'll probably gather my thoughts a little more clearly when I'm more awake, but bottom line: This thing is just a joke, folks. It's poorly conceived, horribly executed, and much a-do about less than nothing. Forget not ready for Prime Time. This is not ready for the 3:18 AM test pattern. It deserves to die as quick a death as cinematically possible, and become an asterisk in the annals of digital exhibition history.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2014
  6. MLutthans

Taken from a similar perspective as this shot:
    [​IMG]
    Here's a non-3-panel portion of the movie:
    Screen shot 2014-10-18 at 1.00.00 AM.png
    That black vertical strip near the center is the join-space between the panels. Note how badly the bright objects reflect over onto the side screen. This does wonders for contrast during the actual Escape portions.

7. MLutthans

Again, big-time reflection:
    Screen shot 2014-10-18 at 1.04.50 AM.png

8. MLutthans

Here's a shot I took during the actual Escape portion (the second segment), and notice how the center panel's brightness (left part of my photo) completely washes out -- reduces black level and reduces contrast -- across much of that dark pillar thing that is just to the right of the seam line (this is showing parts of the center and RIGHT screens this time):
    Screen shot 2014-10-18 at 1.08.14 AM.jpg
    DID NOBODY AT BARCO NOTICE THIS KIND OF THING HAPPENING??????? Could they not predict that it would happen? It's not rocket science. (Note how the contrast improves the farther away the image gets from the brightness in the center screen.)

Oh, one thing I forgot to mention: There was very poor shadow detail throughout the feature in the center panel. Makes me wonder if they dropped the juice a bit in an attempt to reduce reflections. (My guess? It's just a typically underpowered presentation, in terms of brightness, but the conspiracy theory is more fun, so I'm throwing it out there.)

Last edited: Oct 18, 2014
    Vidiot and IronWaffle like this.
  9. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

I'm a little rusty on my film history, but wasn't the 1929 Napoleon movie meant to be shown on a curved screen using three interlocked projectors? I recall some kind of innovation there involving widescreen projection without anamorphic lenses...

10. Derek Gee

Derek Gee Senior Member

Gance's Polyvision didn't use a curved screen, it was flat.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polyvision

Derek

11. Vidiot

Wow, that looks haaaaaaaarible, Matt! It's an even worse gimmick when they didn't take into account all the light pollution created by the other projectors. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

These companies keep trying to come up with tricks to drive ticket prices up, but what they need to concentrate on is just improve the overall experience. Adding extra screens doesn't make the main picture better.

OldSoul and MLutthans like this.
  12. cathandler

cathandler Senior Member

I actually give them some credit for trying something new, as the theatrical window is getting narrower and narrower (and may soon disappear altogether) so cinemas simply MUST do something to differentiate the experience somehow. But before you roll this out to the public you have to work out the bugs. It appears that this system doesn't lend itself to shoehorning into an existing auditorium.

MLutthans likes this.
  13. captainsolo

That has to be a joke. What were they thinking!?!?! It looks like my old failed experiment with white boards to try and simulate a curved Cinerama screen I did in the garage when I was about 12 years old.

head_unit, longdist01 and MLutthans like this.
  14. RandySchimka

RandySchimka Senior Member

So how much extra did they charge for this new experience?

15. MLutthans

De Nada. The movie was so bad, it was still not worth the price! (IMO)

Last edited: Oct 19, 2014
  16. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

I am not to close to Woodridge, but a lot closer than you are.

I guess these guys are following the P.T. Barnum route, really besides constructing a new auditorium, and new projection screen for a new movie viewing Format.

17. captainsolo

MLutthans likes this.
  18. balzac

balzac Senior Member

I'm waiting for someone to take three TV sets at home and set them up and do a mock up for "Barco Escape - At Home!"

The pics from that 2014 showing are pretty dreadful.

And just my opinion, but on top of everything else, "Barco Escape" doesn't even sound that great as a name, from a marketing standpoint.

When Disney did those fake "side panels" for 4x3 movies on blu-ray, those seemed silly but at least had a purpose, filling blank space that was *already* there. But why create the extra screens for Barco, and only then rejigger a bit of extra footage to fill them? It's a solution without a problem so long as they don't actually film a movie *for* the process (and even then, it looks like the theater presentation side of things needs a ton of work).

Vidiot likes this.
  19. Vidiot

The more I find out about this thing, the more I think it's a croc.

Derek Gee likes this.
  20. MLutthans

You are wise, my friend. It actually gives crocs a bad name.

Vidiot likes this.
  21. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

At Barco's lab theater in LA, it's $19.50, whereas I can get tickets at Costco for $8.50 for ordinary showings.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.