Is anyone else considering buying a Theremini?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Nonhuman, Sep 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nonhuman

Nonhuman Forum Resident Thread Starter

This theremini has captured my imagination and may be helpful in channeling the primitive. I do not play any instrument. I need something to guide song construction dialogue for lyrics I've assembled. My guitarist (son) is 2,500 miles away. It is least important (to me) that anything I assemble via the theremini exists in finished composition. My primary fixation is lyrics complete and devoid of any musical framework. I have no ego to place in final recording or onstage, however it may be that I will record and send some work off to Pirate's Press to produce at least one vinyl 7inch. I resisted writing the material until it ate its way into my consciousness. I can't see the end of it. I'll be constructing framework vision(s) alone inside a darkened flagstone cellar with minimalist meditation, natural and misanthropy pure. These are interesting times.

http://youtu.be/hIdiofORXlU

2. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

Played with one of these at Guitar Center a couple of months ago. Great fun for this non-musician. I added it to my Amazon wish list to monitor for a price drop. I'll probably pick one up for my kids for X-mas regardless.

3. Jtycho

Jtycho Forum Resident

I don't want to discourage you, and if you're just looking to make cool noises, than this will definitely do that, but theremins are extremely difficult to actually play. With no physical notes to put your fingers on you basically need perfect pitch. Quite a challenge.

4. tim185

tim185 Forum Resident

Way cool these things!
    However, Im not sure one could pick a worse device than this for "song construction" To me, it might be cool for an intro, layering with other instruments etc etc. However I fail to see how you could work out/lay the bones for any decent song structure with it, its basically just a noise maker albeit a very cool and useful one.

5. BuddhaBob

BuddhaBob Forum Resident

Be sure to look at that auction site. Plenty of new ones, plus used ones since people get them and unload them. There are other Moog models also. If you just want that "Good Vibrations" sound for some song(s), you can find a decent theremin for well under $100, versus the Theramini at $299 or so.

6. Burt

Burt Forum Resident

Good summations. Theremins are a longstanding DIY easy project as well as several commercial ones, none of which are worth money except actual vintage 30s RCA ones, but only a master could use them as an actual instrument. Mastery is a very, very elite thing, there were only a couple, the most famous was a woman named Clara something IIRC.

Any keyboard would work much better or an open tuned guitar or even a ukelele. Anything at all really.

7. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

I record with a musician who occasionally uses theremin.

I concur with the statement posted earlier - it's a very difficult instrument to play well.

8. blue.monk

blue.monk Forum Resident

I played one at the Moog factory a few months ago, before they went on sale. They are amazing! You can play it as a normal theremin or set it to various scales/modes which allows you to get some very musical sounds right out of the box. Below is a shot of several units going through final testing while we were there.

And, yes, I would have walked out with one if they were ready for sale!

[​IMG]

kevinsinnott likes this.
  9. Nonhuman

Thank you for all the replies to this thread. I'm not sure how many folks realize the MOOG "Theremini" has pitch correction.

quote:

"Theremini: a $319 offering that has assertive pitch control built in for all skill levels. This feature allows you to dial up or down the scale correction, making it impossible to play a wrong note in when it's turned up to the max. For more advanced users, turning that dial all the way down offers no assistance. There's also a tuner for visual feedback of each note, displaying how it stacks up to the perfect spot."

http://www.engadget.com/2014/01/26/moogs-theremini/

endquote.

I'll be dragging improvisations into the digital realm where I can cut, loop, string together noise. I'll use audacity editing software, a selection of digital interfaces and old school reel to reel tape machines. I might consider feedback noise as well, experimenting with distortion produced through a tube amp underpowered by variac. My vocal style will likely be reminiscent of Mick Farren spoken word, accompanied by hardcore punk derivatives. Having said this much, my perception of decent song construction violates social norms purposefully. Anything I build will be passed off to my son with a request for guitar. What evolves/devolves isn't assumed. Neither is it important. I'm interested in developing the process.

While the genre lines have blurred beyond recognition, hardcore calls me out daily. I don't think a standard theremin has ever been used in DIY hardcore, but with the darkness unfolding ever rapidly around the globe, perhaps the "theremini" has arrived right on schedule. Here's one example of recent work from a band called "Misantropic" that I've been obsessing over. It's just one knock on the door, amidst a rising consciousness. That consciousness has no inhibitions.

10. BuddhaBob

BuddhaBob Forum Resident

I'm guessing you won't be shopping for an Autotune.

11. Nonhuman

No.

I knew as a child I had no reason to pursue carrying a tune. Funny how things have changed. Now there are doctors wanting to write me prescriptions for stuff I no longer want, and pig'n'slop vocals are cool. Truth is stranger than fiction.

BuddhaBob likes this.
  12. kevinsinnott

kevinsinnott Forum Coffeeologist

My son's musical group used to include a standard Theremin in their performances. Yes, they require skill and practice. In fact, then that particular musician moved away (work), they discontinued using one. It is a very cool instrument. I'm sure this more automatic version is a great deal of fun.

13. Nonhuman

A recent piece of work from a band called "Misery" that blends/bends genre and inspires me to consider theremini utility.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.