Scorpion on CBS

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by MLutthans, Sep 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff Thread Starter

Feel free to post pro or con, but my take on the this show so far (after 41 minutes) is it is B-A-D. I keep waiting for Leonard and Sheldon to appear on "a very special Big Bang Theory crossover."

(Six shows and out?)

Last edited: Sep 23, 2014
  2. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Best review that I've read is from Vulture:

That guy over there? He's a genius. You can tell he's a genius by the way he's constantly rude and dismissive to women. He pedantically and unceasingly lectures that woman he somehow was dating; he criticizes that waitress's nail polish because yeah, she's definitely doing that for his benefit and analysis. He's just such a genius, you see. It's impossible for him to relate to anyone who's not a genius, and obviously, at the genius club there is only room for one woman, so everyone else who's not a genius — goats? Is that the opposite of a genius? Who can care? — will simply have to step aside. Genius coming through. Watch out for the genius. Genius here.

http://www.vulture.com/2014/09/tv-review-cbs-scorpion.html

Vidiot likes this.
  3. ky658

ky658 Senior Member

I don't know, I didn't see the premiere episode, but every time CBS promotes the crap out of something, it ends up tanking. Take "We Are Men" from last year, and "Hostages"they seriously promoted both of those shows and cancelled them, the first after a couple of weeks, the second ended this past January. I hope they prove me wrong this time around...

Vidiot likes this.
  4. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

They won't.

5. minerwerks

minerwerks Forum Resident

I wanted to like this show. And that's saying something because I've seen countless commercials for going on three months now. Usually I'd be ready to hate the show on principle by now. But I watched. And by the end I was screaming at the TV because the solutions to each twist in the plot were so insanely divorced from reality. The show felt written under the belief that people of high intelligence have super powers. The main scenario and the complications were highly contrived and seemed to only exist to produce high tension and/or action scenes, like a mindless blockbuster movie done in 42 minutes. But they didn't start with a grounding that keeps the viewer invested and willing to forgive coincidence after coincidence that erode the plausibility of the last 30 or so of those minutes.

I had less problem with the main character's treatment of women (as pointed out in the quote Deesky posted from Vulture). The implication seems to be that the writers were somehow equating misogyny with genius. But this was an attempt to set up a character who has difficulty dealing with all people, and specifically women. I don't see how that's not a valid approach. But since the show concentrated so much on the plot, there wasn't much chance to give the characters any real personality beyond traits and quirks. I thought the cast did okay considering that.

Deesky and Vidiot like this.
  6. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

I don't give this much hope as a series.

But, I have to say I was laughing out loud at the runway scene. I found it unrealistically exhilarating. For 42 minutes I found myself highly entertained.

7. rjp

rjp Senior Member

is there a shortage of actresses in hollywood?

there must be, what other explanation can there possibly be as to why they would they cast an american idol contestant in major role on a TV series?

GodShifter likes this.
  8. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

She has had other roles including Community and Smash. She could do better than Lizzie on The Blacklist. I don't have any problem with her at all. She should probably be commended for transitioning herself into another career.

GroovinGarrett likes this.
  9. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

I decided not to watch this after seeing five or six different commercials. . .and this despite how much I really like looking at Katharine McPhee.

Kyhl likes this.
  10. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

I was just the opposite. I was bored to death half way through. I won't be wasting any more time with this one.

MLutthans likes this.
  11. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

12. ky658

ky658 Senior Member

13. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Tough crowd.

I know what to do, let's pray the series fails so CBS will put some really s**tty reality show in there. That'll teach us.

14. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff Thread Starter

^^^^^^ Like....Scorpion reruns????? :laugh: ;)

15. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

Maybe I'm getting old. No, actually I AM getting old! But these new shows that try to cram a blockbuster movie's worth of dialog, plot, and special effects into a 40-minute program just plain move too fast for me. There's no time to breathe, to cogitate, to worry about the next crisis even. It just keeps moving along at an incredible rate just to cram it all in.

People don't really talk this way. One person is finishing a sentence and the other one is already starting his reply. OK, that happens once in awhile - in these modern shows, it just happens all the time.

That said, I still enjoyed the show - just not as much as if it had a more natural pace. I'll be back for the next episode.

Harry

16. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Terrific review -- very well done!

minerwerks likes this.
  17. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

Wow, I'm glad I missed the show last night. I watched the finale of Dallas which was just OK IMO, but at least I didn't have these reactions. I'll pass altogether now.

18. Done A Ton

Done A Ton Birdbrain

I'd like to know the true story this show was "inspired" by.

19. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

tonyc and Done A Ton like this.
  20. Done A Ton

Done A Ton Birdbrain

21. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

What do you expect when movies like Lucy get made!

I always have a chuckle when a character is made out to be a genius and then proceeds to do stupid things. Clearly, the character's intellectual abilities are rarely matched by those in the writing staff.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2014
    minerwerks likes this.
  22. minerwerks

Or the material is intentionally dumbed down to oversimplify it for audiences. I think a perfect example is how one of the first things the team needed was a stable wireless Internet connection. If you're doing critical work on a computer, I would opt for a wired connection, not only for stability but for speed. And I'm pretty sure this was available inside the diner via a wireless router or cable modem. But most people see wireless as the primary technology everywhere, and even looking past that, they would have little information about the benefits of a wired connection to the Internet. That's something they call people to set up for them. Or fix - like in the pilot!

23. minerwerks

Did you enjoy the show, Steve? I know I've been down on this one, but it wasn't completely devoid of charm. I'd like to hear a more positive reaction.

24. shucky ducky

shucky ducky Forum Resident

Who was the actor that played the homeland security boss? I'm thinking I've seen him in a movie at one time.

25. Senn20

Senn20 Forum Resident

A show about techie genius wizkids that doesn't employ a technical consultant, or had sacked him/her halfway through development of the pilot for pointing out the plot devices were too cheap to be believed.

For example:
    1. LAX doesn't keep onsite software backups.
    2. LAX doesn't employ a single person who knows how to restore software from a backup.
    3. LAX only keeps the most recent backup of a software package that is mission critical to keeping planes from crashing and killing hundreds of people. Sure...
    4. There is no way to stop the automated backup which overwrites the last backup.
    5. The vendor that originally wrote the software had gone out of business, but the vendor (or internal team) that continues to support the software (otherwise there wouldn't have been a software update) doesn't have a copy of the previous version.
    6. Towers apparently can't communicate with planes if that software goes down. No radios. Nothing. Okay...
    7. The aforementioned wireless internet bit.
    8. A chess grand master is beaten by a child in the span of a few minutes. Even a game of speed chess takes longer than that.
    9. Traveling salesman on the plane still has an analog cellphone even though carriers began to phase out analog phones ten years ago and that phone probably hasn't worked at all in at least 5 years.
    10. Genius boy needs someone to drive him to the airport but is perfectly comfortable driving a Ferarri 458 at 200mph.
    11. Said Ferarri's ignition is hacked to start without a transponder key in, well, probably a few seconds.
    12. Genius boy's laptop must have the most snug USB ports in the world for that ethernet adapter not to come unplugged while the plane was pulling up. Maybe it was super-glued in!
    But Katherine McPhee is in it, so I'll watch.

Vidiot, minerwerks and MLutthans like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.