So I am going to play every 45 in my collection....

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Juggsnelson, Jul 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Juggsnelson

Juggsnelson Senior Member Thread Starter

Brook Benton-Where There's a Will/Special Years
    Amazing that this still has the sound of the late 50's......strings....male and female gang chorus.....
    "Special Years" follows a similar theme as "From Bobby Sox to Stockings" does. I prefer the latter.
    [​IMG]

2. Juggsnelson

Berlin-Sex (I'm A....)/Tell Me Why
    Whatever kinky form of CPR Terri Nunn is performing on the sleeve, please have her do unto me! Great photo. Almost looks like John Crawford took note of Bowie's "Lodger" pic. I really dig the 12" version of this. "I'm a Bitch" muttered by Terri way before Meredith Brooks....but them again Elton beat them both to it huh? I always liked Berlin's mix of synths and rock guitar (later copied by Animotion).
    "Tell Me Why" sounds a bit unfinished. It needed some more texture. And those laser sound effects need to go as well....Although it still is fulfilling to hear Berlin rock.
    [​IMG]

Surly and lpfreak1170 like this.
  3. Juggsnelson

Berlin- Masquerade/Live Sex (Recorded live for "In Concert") Non-LP
    Catchy and upbeat. Berlin had these songs down pat. This one does stretch the limits of Terri's range a bit though.
    "Live Sex" is a live version of "Sex" recorded for "In Concert". Berlin were always much better live than you might have thought. This rendition is less pilished than the studio version but the guitar is menacing and the vibe is appropriately sleazy. My wife has a video of her and Terri dancing on stage and singing "No More Words" during the end of a concert 5 years ago. Terri knows my wife is filming them and hams up to the camera nicely!
    [​IMG]

team2, Surly and lpfreak1170 like this.
  4. Juggsnelson

Berlin-No More Words (Promo)
    I can't believe this only got to #23!!! This video was on all of the time and the song is great.
    What exactly are these guys discussing in that boardroom meeting on the sleeve? The shot of Terri if from the video I believe. Georgio Moroder's fabulous production makes this record a classic. The guitar tone is great and it just slices right through the insistent synth part. And that scream she lets out right before the breakdown is great!
    [​IMG]

team2, Surly and lpfreak1170 like this.
  5. Sax-son

Sax-son Forum Resident

I have about a hundred and that would be a chore in itself.

Juggsnelson likes this.
  6. Juggsnelson

Berlin-Now It's My Turn (Edit/Remix) Promo
    Another really catchy rocker that grabs you from the first note. Berlin deserved more success from their rock/new wave songs. The first few albums have nary a clunker on them. Shame it would finally come in the form of a ballad written by Giordio Moroder.(Great as it is)
    [​IMG]

Surly likes this.
  7. Juggsnelson

Do it! Bet you hear some great stuff (and burn a few calories too!!) This project is part of my exercise regimen!

8. no.nine

no.nine (not his real name)

What's with the Mercury Record in an RCA sleeve?

A joint release??! :laugh:

I kid, of course.

Juggsnelson likes this.
  9. Juggsnelson

Berlin-Take My Breath Away/Giorgio Moroder-Radar Radio
    Forever immortalized in those scenes from Top Gun. The synth-string effect really works here (much like in "Nikita" by Elton John) and Terri sings this exceptionally well. The "When the mirror crashed I called you" part gives me the chills every time. Judging by the sleeve, the band was having a "Who can frost their hair the most" contest. Terri wins...hands down.
    "Radar Radio" is a generic slice of 80's arena rock. This makes "Danger Zone" look like heavy metal.
    [​IMG]

Surly likes this.
  10. Juggsnelson

Witness protection program?? I have been trying to mix and match the sleeves before I take the photos but sometimes I don't have time to do it until after I play the record. Trust me....that Mercury 45 no longer is no longer living a life of lies in that RCA sleeve!!!

no.nine and Mr Bass like this.
  11. Juggsnelson

Berlin-Like Flames (edit)/Hideaway
    Produced by Bob Ezrin of Morley Crue/Metallica fame. This comes off of the "Count Three and Pray" Lp which is a great album that can be had for very cheap. Grab it. This tune is vintage Berlin with guitars roaring over a line of synths. Great chorus. The band has now moved on to the "Who has the biggest hair" oj this sleeve competition! Terri loses this match but definitely looks the best in a leather bodysuit.
    "Hideaway" starts off with some bass....an instrument hardly heard in Berlin's music. This song is not one of the srongest on the LP and thus is deserving of its B-Side status.
    [​IMG]

Surly likes this.
  12. tim185

tim185 Forum Resident

Bob Ezrin's name is punishable by 50 lashes unless you mention Pink Floyds name, if your going to mention Metallica and Motley Crue..

Juggsnelson likes this.
  13. Juggsnelson

Chuck Berry-School Day/Deep Feeling
    Chuck's guitar is in your face on this 45. Right where it belongs! "Hail Hail Rock and Roll" indeed!
    "Deep Feeling" is an instrumental that has a nice melody to it but in the end I wish it would have moved me more.
    [​IMG]

Mylene, lpfreak1170 and Mr Bass like this.
  14. Juggsnelson

Wait a second....I zoned out there for a minute! Bob Rock was The Crue and Metallica! Wow....Ezrin of course besides The Floyd worked with Alice Cooper and Kiss quite successfully as well!

15. Juggsnelson

Chuck Berry-My Ding A Ling/Johnny B Goode (live)
    Amazing that this hit #1 and it was his only #1! Takes on a darker meaning once he got busted in that incident with the ladies restroom at his restaurant huh? I do enjoy Chuck's crowd speak! Childish but fun...
    "Johnny B Goode" is featured in a rollicking live version here. Chuck really lets loose on the vocal. I play this version a lot.
    [​IMG]

Mylene likes this.
  16. Juggsnelson

Adele Bertei-Build Me a Bridge Promo
    Produced by Thomas Dolby. A decent verse in need of a good chorus. The music is well done but her vocals leave a bit to be desired.

17. Juggsnelson

Here's the photo:
    [​IMG]

18. Juggsnelson

Dickey Betts-Bougainvillea (Promo)
    Dickey's guitar prowess is well recognized with his work with the Allman Brothers. This song sounds like "Sweet Melissa" a bit.....same vibe.
    [​IMG]

19. Fullbug

Fullbug Forum Resident

Anxiously awaiting Move Me on Down the Line.

Juggsnelson likes this.
  20. Juggsnelson

The B52's-Private Idaho/Party Out of Bounds
    Everyone looks great on the sleeve but Fred needs to lose the mustache and permed hair! They had a great sound....surf guitars meets new wave meets girl group harmonies. Fred's seemingly off the cuff interjections are a highlight of every B52's record for me.
    "Party Out of Bounds" is an instrumental in need of some vocals.
    [​IMG]

Surly, Mr Bass and lpfreak1170 like this.
  21. Juggsnelson

Wish I could have supplied it for you.....

22. Juggsnelson

but I don't have it and we are about 2,000 45's away!

Fullbug likes this.
  23. Juggsnelson

Will you take "Sleeping Bag" instead???

Fullbug likes this.
  24. Fullbug

Fullbug Forum Resident

I keed, I keed.

Juggsnelson likes this.
  25. Juggsnelson

B52's-Deep Sleep/Nip it in the Bud
    Produced by David Byrne. This tune actual has a Trance-ish Talking Heads-like rhythm to it. Usually I equate their music with a party but this song is anything but....this should score a scene in a movie where the character is on a bad trip!
    "Nip it in the Bud" brings out the punkish side of the band with some biting guitar and a fierce vocal.
    [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.