Anyone know how Soundgarden's Badmotorfinger sounds on vinyl?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by THD, Feb 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Preston

Preston Forum Resident

Sort of related ... but the new 2LP MOV re-issue of STP's Core is excellent and beats what I always thought was a very good-sounding CD. Excellent pressing on clear vinyl. I agree on the comments about Superunknown sounding better than the CD. It's been a long time since I've listened to Badmotorfinger ...

2. demetri_j

demetri_j Forum Resident

I read the MOV STP pressing wasn't that good in other threads, I have the original and its great. I have the yellow UK Badmotorfinger and it sounds good. DOTUS sounds really good on vinyl. I had original press of Superunknown but it could have been done better

3. copter76

copter76 Forum Resident

I have the repress and sound amazing...
    this one:

http://www.discogs.com/Soundgarden-Badmotorfinger/release/1349192

I think that was mastered from the original tapes...
    I paid 10 euros 2 years ago, not so bad
    Not audiophile release but way better than the cd...
    I don't know if the first pressing sound better but this one is awesome (compared with the cd)

4. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

That's a good one, from the Pallas pressed Universal series cirka 2003. Supposedly from original tapes! They also did "Superunknown", various Nirvana and Sonic Youth albums. All these releases have "320" in the deadwax.

I have the Holland original in the cool green cover and it sounds very good. Not outstanding but effective for what it is;)

Daniel Thomas likes this.
  5. copter76

copter76 Forum Resident

320 in mine...bought 2 years ago...amazing!!!!listen right now and I really impressed by the sound.
    Like I said, bass and drums sound like if they play in my hall :)

GentleSenator likes this.
  6. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

It's similar with EMI100's great Centenial series, once the hypesticker is gone with the shrinkwrap there are dealers that mistake these high quality releases for run of the mill reissues:) Except for albums that are expensive anyway like "Gran Turismo" which Universal also did in this series.

7. copter76

copter76 Forum Resident

I bought mine in amazon :)

8. dobyblue

dobyblue Forum Resident

9. copter76

copter76 Forum Resident

do you mean by a powerseller, right?
    because in amazon.es is less expensive, same in .fr

10. copter76

copter76 Forum Resident

11. dobyblue

dobyblue Forum Resident

You need to run it right through to checkout before you realize why Amazon UK is cheaper. Transatlantic shipping from .es, .fr and .it all bring the total to over 28 Euros while Amazon UK and their marketplace sellers charge 3 pounds for shipping.

So to North America from Amazon UK marketplace you can get it shipped for @ US$28 from Nagiry.
    Order the same item from Nagiry via .it, .es, .de or .fr and it works out to between US35~37.

12. tim185

tim185 Forum Resident

Are all 320's analog cuts? Like Appetite for Destruction on the back to Black label?

13. Budysr

Budysr Forum Resident

I just got the universal reissue from Elusive. It looks to be the same reissue from 2003 and has the "320" stamper. Like already mentioned, it sounds pretty good but really should have been a 2 Lp release with the long running time. I'd also like to know if all the 320's are analog cuts?

14. sam1982

sam1982 Forum Resident

This is a damn good question... My understanding is that yes, they will only work with the mastertape. But that is based on heresay, I have nothing to back that up.

15. Johnnson

Johnnson New Member

I just bought the repress with the 320 stamper very reasonably, and thoroughly enjoyed placing my old CD permanently in my truck stash. While I have 1000+ 1960's and 1970's LPs, I was more or less forced to buy Soundgarden on CD because of lack of vinyl in local stores after 1990. Badmotorfinger never sounded better to me in 24 years.

I've decided to get them all on vinyl, so I spent a little more for a sealed original pressing of Down On The Upside. Be aware that the printed laminated sleeves in DOTUS might be trying to stick to the vinyl after 20 years. I held each disc two feet above my woodstove steampot and slowly peeled the sleeve back leaving the darnedest blotchy paper scuffing I've ever seen. After a few cleaning runs with the discwasher it played great, but looks marbled! Placed the discs straight into rice paper sleeves saving the nice printed ones "for looking through" now stored in the gatefold.

Old Rusty and cement_head like this.
  16. Daniel Thomas

Daniel Thomas Forum Resident

I found this LP at the Cheapo Uptown in Mpls today. Sounds very good, smooth and warm and punchy. The sound is a touch cleaner and more spacious than The CD and Cassette, which also sound very good.

I ended up paying $30 for Badmotorfinger. Would have been nice if it were closer to $20, since there's only one record and no liner notes or booklet. I'd be happy to pay a little more for a deluxe 2-LP set. Hopefully, Soundgarden would make that happen in the future. Until that happens, purchase this 2003 reissue with confidence. It sounds terrific. What a great album!

Old Rusty likes this.
  17. FourWalledWorld

FourWalledWorld Forum Resident

Completely agree. I'd love to see a deluxe 25th anniversary set this year in a similar vein to the 20th anniversary Superunknown.

18. dobyblue

dobyblue Forum Resident

I'd like to see them do an AAA cut of Badmotorfinger as a 2LP set.
    I'd also like to see another 5.1 mix, but done by someone who understands 5.1 as Adam Kasper does not, Superunknown is one of the worst 5.1 mixes I've ever heard.

19. Daniel Thomas

Daniel Thomas Forum Resident

I'm spending more time with the Badmotorfinger (2003) reissue. Something sounds off. The music is flat and slightly compressed, and a bit quiet. I have to crank the volume to hear the music, moreso than with most rock albums. Are we sure this release was analog and not digital? A vintage 1991 copy would be handy right about now. This may be how this album sounds. It was a slick and smooth (but also slightly bright) production for its time.

I'll have to listen to the CD to compare. I played the cassette constantly until my Walkman died last month, so that might be coloring my impressions, as tape does blast out the heavy and noisy low end. It works for a lot of music, even though it's clearly an unintended distortion.

The LP still sounds good, but something is just off. I can't put my finger on it. Any newer impressions from the fans?

20. Flat, slightly compressed & a bit quiet are the last terms I would use to describe this LP:
    Soundgarden - Badmotorfinger ยป

And I can't remember anyone describing this album as "a slick and smooth (but also slightly bright) production for its time."
    Interesting...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.