Should I Play It Or Not

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Deryl Johnson, Sep 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

2. ElizabethH

ElizabethH Forum Resident

Use it or lose it.
    Just think if you do not use the cart, and then break off the stylus anyway.
    WTF?????
    So play play play.

Fullbug likes this.
  3. wownflutter

wownflutter Nocturnal Member

When I bought Ortofon Bronze it was the most expensive cartridge I had ever purchased. I am picky about the quality of the records I play on it. But....I will clean an album really well and try the first song before I make my final decision on some if the "iffy" lps.
    I've definately pulled a couple off.
    On a side note....
    My bronze ' s suspension started sagging after about a year or so. The cartridge body was starting to rub the surface in the leadout groove. Unfortunately I had to replace the stylus. In a years time I probably put 1000 hrs on it.

4. JohnO

JohnO Senior Member

Get another cartridge shell and get a cheaper cartridge for the beaters. And Play Them with that.

Ortofon has the "Ortofon Omega" or any Audio-Technica cart under $50.

5. Deryl Johnson

Deryl Johnson Well-Known Member Thread Starter

That sums up my original thinking.

6. Deryl Johnson

How could You tell when the body of the cartridge began contacting the record?

7. motownmaniac

motownmaniac Forum Resident

Has your mother in law got a turntable ? play it on hers first . :D

Aftermath likes this.
  8. gotityet0

gotityet0 vinyl nut

Play them and play them now.:uhhuh: Hard to believe you didn't know your wife of 24yrs. had her own collection of vinyl.:crazy:

9. ShawnX

ShawnX Forum Resident

The perfect modern life for many. Unfortunately.

Fullbug and Keith V like this.
  10. mesaboogie

mesaboogie Forum Resident

I do it with a $850 20x2L.

11. mesaboogie

mesaboogie Forum Resident

You guys are making a big deal about nothing. He said the scratches are as if the records had been stacked on top of each other. That is a bunch of superficial surface wear and not carvings. Needles get in the groove, not on the surface.

12. So let me get this straight: you're asking if you should play a clean, vintage record in apparently EX/VG+ condition with your mint condition needle, because you're worried about no longer having a NM/M needle afterwards? Oh my. Step out of the disinfectant chamber and play the damn record, Howard. :)

Fullbug likes this.
  13. Deryl Johnson

We don't talk very much, and especially what we have piled up in the junk room. It never came up because I never had a turntable until three months ago.
    She said, " I think I have some records in the junk room."
    She has a copy of the banned edition of the Stones' " Some Girls" that looks mint. After we discussed her albums, She bought an LP frame and hung it over my stereo. She did leave the record out so that I could play it though.
    We're making up for lost time!

Fullbug likes this.
  14. wownflutter

wownflutter Nocturnal Member

At the end of each record, when the needle reached the inner groove, the body would rub the raised area where the label is. Visually you could see that the cartridge was closer to the surface. Everything still sounded fine, but with 1000 hrs on the stylus, I figured it would be best to replace it.
    With the new stylus, the cartridge body sits higher and problem was gone. Also, there is much less siblance with the new stylus. I think the replacement sounded better straight out of the box
    I wonder if the original may have been defective from the get go
    I always check tabs on the tracking force, by the way....

15. Deryl Johnson

Thanks. I have a ways to go, but now, thanks to You I know what to look for.

She didn't tell me about the box of about 200 45's that look unplayed either. I guess I have something to do in my spare time!

16. gotityet0

gotityet0 vinyl nut

She didn't tell me about the box of about 200 45's that look unplayed either. I guess I have something to do in my spare time![/QUOTE]

:yikes: yes you do and enjoy :magoo:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.