Ever contact an Amazon Seller to negotiate price?

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by The Spaceman, Sep 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Spaceman

The Spaceman Forum Resident Thread Starter

There's a couple of music items I noticed I would like but they are posted way over list price (OOP) and was considering contacting the sellers and see if they're willing to take a lower price (The items have sat there for several months so it's not like it's moving at the high price). Have any of you ever done that? Were you successful in negotiating a lower price?

2. SoporJoe

SoporJoe Forum Resident

I never have, but I'm curious as well. Some of the prices are pretty outlandish.

3. deadcoldfish

deadcoldfish Senior Member

I haven't done it, but I have been contacted by buyers before, and I've adjusted prices based on the offer. If it's a large seller, I doubt they will respond, but a smaller seller might.

4. anthontherun

anthontherun Forum Resident

I did it one time for a rare CD. They said they wanted to keep the price where it was, but if it didn't sell for a couple weeks, they would consider it. So I contacted them again about 3 months later and they made a lower offer, but it was still too much for me. After another 3 months or so, I contacted them again and they accepted my original offer.

I had actually never seen another copy for sale anywhere, but it was such an obscure title that I figured it was safe to play the waiting game. In retrospect, I'm glad it paid off, but if it had sold in the meantime, I would've been pretty pissed at myself.

5. The Spaceman

If the listings aren't selling, sellers aren't making money. If they lower it, they will make money and the buyer will get the item. It's a win win.

Some of the listings in question have been there for close to 6 months and have yet to seller.

6. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Of course, why wouldn't I ? Such questions have almost always led to a better deal for me, and a guaranteed sale for them.

7. deadcoldfish

deadcoldfish Senior Member

right, but there isn't any cost for the listing, until it sells, so the seller may not be motivated to lower the price, especially if they have the only listing.

8. The Spaceman

Oh absolutely.

9. masterbucket

masterbucket Senior Member

Numerous times.
    Success rate------ around 80 percent.

10. gottafeelin

gottafeelin Forum Resident

Somebody had the Nuggets box set listed without the box and book. It was listed at around $35. I offered $25 and it was accepted. This was probably 7 or 8 years ago.

11. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I had a buyer contact me wanting a lower price on a very rare CD. I declined. I was contacted again a week or two later, and I again declined.

CD then sold at my asking price. I did not bother noting if it was that same haggler or a different buyer. I just wanted the money.

Two weeks go by and I get a message that stated, I have not received my very expensive CD. Please just refund my money as I already bought it elsewhere and could not wait any longer.

I replied that he should check with his post office, and I provided him with tracking number (which stated delivered), and insurance for $180.00 form number. I never heard from him again.

I guess he hoped I'd lost my shipping receipts and he would get a free rare gold disc. Some real creeps are out there. But I learned long ago to go the extra expense for the big ticket items, they will be the lost ones if any are lost.

Mr. H likes this.
  12. The Spaceman

You can't assume if it says delivered that it actually was. I just last week ordered two T-shirts that was delivered to the wrong house. It said "delivered" on the tracking. That's how I knew something was wrong. Thankfully my mail carrier straightened it out (this always happens when I have a substitute carrier) and I got my shirts.

Thankfully the items I'm looking at have been stagnant for months. It's OOP and all hence the high prices but the listings aren't selling. There's even one listing $100 cheaper than the rest of them (still way higher than I want to pay though) still in a condition I'd buy it in, that's been there for the better part of 6 months, still not selling. I think it's fair to say the prices they're asking are way too high. If not they'd be selling. Hopefully the seller realizes that may be the only way to sell that item. Like back in that house selling thread, there are sellers who ask for and expect to get a price they're asking, even though it ends up not selling because the buyers don't think so.

13. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Yeah I know, that is why I insured it. I got a funny feeling about that order, (like Stevie and her crystal visions) that something was potentially going to go bad. So I insured the F out of it along with tracking. I know that in this case the item was not dropped off at wrong house, not with $180 in insurance on it, no way.

14. The Spaceman

That was a smart move by you. :)

15. dnuggett

dnuggett Forum Resident

How do you know they are "making money"? If you sell it at a loss, you haven't made money.

16. The Spaceman

^ The items I'm interested in are recently OOP and are significantly over list price (Like an 80% increase). Chances are extremely high that they bought at list price and are trying to make a significant profit off of it, even though no one is buying it at that price. The ones in question are definitely "making money". Going down to a reasonable price would still allow them to make money and they could actually sell their product.

17. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Does amazon have a search / watch feature that lets you know when one is listed in your desired condition range and purchase price? Ebay has a watch feature and it has helped me find things once in a while.

18. The Spaceman

I looked into it a while ago and I couldn't find one for the marketplace. I had to use a third party price tracker for that purpose.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.