Aphex Twin

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ganma, Sep 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. phish

phish Jack Your Body

you didn't offend me at all. i think it's funny when someone asserts musical taste superiority over someone else because their taste is different. of course, i don't think everything he touches is gold, but when someone asks for suggestions on what someone else likes from a particular artist, i wouldn't suggest something that i thought was crap. we just like different flavors, but your taste is no better than mine and vise versa. :)

2. jeddy

jeddy Forum Resident

"milkman" anyone?

subzro and botley like this.
  3. wowiezowie

wowiezowie Forum Resident

This is exactly when I first heard Richard, John Peel played 'Audax Powder' on his show and it floored me! I'd never heard music like that before. I literally couldn't get up it was that mind blowing! Of course I didn't catch the artist or album name so I fruitlessly searched all the local record shops trying to find the CD. I bought this awful techno CD thinking it was what I had heard but eventually found the Polygon Window LP.
    I saw him twice during the 90's, the first time at an all nighter at the Que club in the UK, he played his set inside a children's wendy house! Second time was at the Custard Factory where he played a heavy gabba DJ set. He was hanging around before the gig and I ****ing wish I'd have gone up to him and just thanked him and bought him a pint for the amazing music he'd brought into my life, alas, I never did. :(

4. Tonmeister

Tonmeister Forum Resident

Went to the Brooklyn listening party for Syro last night. First impressions: sounds great! Especially liked the first few sides which are in the vein of Minipops 67 - track 2 is wonderful though does go on a bit. Things get a bit denser after that building towards a Druqks-like drum and bass wig-out in the penultimate track, before a sweet piano piece to finish. A lot of the tracks feel like they are constructed similarly to the Analord material, but with an extra level, more twists and turns, and an unpredictability to the sounds that is more like the Aphex of the 90's. There was a track in there sounded like it could have been on Daft Punk's Homework. Overall, great stuff and a sense of joy about the record that seemed absent from his 2000's output. Great atmosphere at the venue too - packed and loud cheers after each track, though the sound system wasn't great.

phish and s m @ like this.
  5. s m @

s m @ Forum Resident

Great to hear, thanks. Looking forward to this now.

6. wowiezowie

As much as I'm tempted I'm gonna hold off and wait till the album comes out before I listen to it. Gonna be hard though, especially now Warp have uploaded the minipop track on YouTube.

rob303 likes this.
  7. rob303

rob303 Forum Resident

I did the same but am listening to the samples on Bleep right now and really enjoying them! 24 hours till "Syro" drops!

8. HiredGoon

HiredGoon Forum Resident

Been streaming this on the Spotifies for the last couple of days ... big thumbs up from me.

--Geoff

rob303 likes this.
  9. s m @

s m @ Forum Resident

I prefer the personal touch that only get with hired goons.

Just listened to Syro for the first time. Good stuff, definitely will be picking up the vinyl soon. Kind of a combination of most of his styles/eras, without gravitating too heavily towards any particular one.

10. wowiezowie

I downloaded the 24 bit version of Syro on Sunday from Blimp so I've had multiple listens since then. First impressions are that it's a real grower, I think if you put the time in with this album you'll definitely be rewarded.
    Stylistically it's kind of in between Drukqs and Analord, very beat driven. There are a lot of heavily manipulated speech samples dotted around the tracks, quite a few of them speaking Russian (his wife is russian) I'd say the first 4 tracks are my favourite, esp 'Xmas Evet' and 'Produk'

A good thing about buying the 24 bit version of Bleep is that because it's the most expensive download version, you are able to download any of the other lesser priced versions (320 mp3, FLAC and Wav) without paying anything else.

I look forward to hearing everyone else's opinions....

PS. Did anyone get the confirmation email regarding the 200 special edition vinyl box yet? I doubt I'll be lucky enough.

jlc76 and rob303 like this.
  11. ymenard

ymenard Forum Resident

It's basically The Tuss, part II. Which is amazing in itself, as still after 7 years (2007), only him can do quality composition of such order. Nobody can imitate him, like nobody could imitate Wagner.

12. Vern

Vern Forum Resident

I love the album, it's great. Definitely his most accessible.

Technocentral likes this.
  13. phish

phish Jack Your Body

syro out today!

14. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

Really digging the new album!! :thumbsup:

15. ghostnotes

ghostnotes Wish you were here.

Really enjoyed this album, and I've yet to hear a lot of his stuff aside from Ambient Works I which I also love.

16. Django

Django Forum Resident

I've given it a few listens. It's good, but not blown away. It's quiet similar to the tuss and his analord stuff. I don't think the tracks are as individualistic as those in his golden period, (I care, RDJ, Windowlicker, & come to daddy). In places it gets a bit too detroit techno for me. I love electronic music, but not a fan of dance music.

17. botley

botley Forum Resident

The last track on the new LP, "Aisatsana", is gorgeous ā€” though I wish he'd figured out a way to record it with the doppler effect of the Disklavier piano-swinging trapeze they had at the premiere performance. Maybe by mounting a few wireless mics on the thing! Such a mad genius.

Anyway ā€” great album.

18. Synthfreek

Synthfreek Iā€™m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

My buddy took this pic last night. I thought it was pretty great. He said she was saying something like "Bob, you should see how weird this guy's face is." to the person on the other end of the phone.

[​IMG]

19. noyoucmon

noyoucmon Forum Resident

Selected Ambient Works I and II is still my favorite. Syro left me underwhelmed.

20. Acquired a couple Aphex Twin releases on vinyl recently, SAW Vol 1, Come To Daddy, and Windowlicker. Really nice to have on vinyl. I have a copy of RDJ Album on vinyl on the way from the UK that I got for $16 (A 2012 Warp repress, aparently the US pressing on the 1972 label is really poor and CD based). Amazon is selling the Syro 3xLP (why not 2?) for $20 now, I will probably pick that up.

21. Vern

Vern Forum Resident

The new EP that comes out on Friday has leaked. Sounds really good. Interesting new move for him. Here's hoping he keeps releasing new music regularly now.

rainspainplain likes this.
  22. Mateo Sanboval

Mateo Sanboval For me, the action is the juice.

For those who are interested and don't already know, RDJ has been releasing early to mid 1990s demos on an anonymous SoundCloud account to download free for a couple of weeks now. 155 at last count. Good stuff, too. Check them out right here: https://soundcloud.com/user48736353001

23. mantis4tons

mantis4tons Forum Resident

There's some truly incredible tracks in there. It's amazing that he just released ten albums worth of material for free!

24. botley

botley Forum Resident

Yep. Been a good month for fans of his! Brilliant new EP out, zillions of lost demo tracks online, and weirdest of all, Syro just won a Grammy...

25. Mateo Sanboval

Mateo Sanboval For me, the action is the juice.

Indeed. The establishment appreciates and has nostalgia for him? Some of them are almost certainly our peers now! Y'know, just in case his thirteen year hiatus didn't make you feel your age a bit.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.