The Monkees (debut) Rhino Handmade Super Deluxe 3-CD set

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by fspadafora, Mar 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Smartin62

Smartin62 Forum Resident

Ordered! Merry Christmas - to me from me!

Silver Surfer and BeatleStair like this.
  2. Tracy Robison

Tracy Robison Forum Resident

I gathered from Andrew's statements at the convention that a treasure trove of TV show related materials had recently been unearthed. One could surmise that among these things were original elements that composed the episodes.

Iceman08 and Fandom Lenses like this.
  3. MarkTheShark

MarkTheShark Senior Member

My guess is maybe there were some elements still around separated into distinct tracks, maybe for international dubbing of the shows?

At any rate, I'm glad that material was found and I'm even more glad it's getting released.

And many thanks to Andrew Sandoval. His post states it very well. You can tell all these projects were spearheaded by a fan, for fans. Also -- in two internet posts Andrew answered ALL of my questions about this release. All of them!

4. NOS300B

NOS300B The Moon Queen

I'm hoping the mastering will be less loud than the previous 2CD deluxe edition. Based on Andrew Sandoval's last few Kinks remasters (including the Dave Davies solo Hidden Treasures CD), I predict it will be an improvement.

5. BobT

BobT Resident Monkeeman

one facebook poster asked about the "straight" vocal version of Gonna Buy Me A Dog, and Andrew told them that it has been lost. A pity, but still a lot of great stuff to hear...
    Can I be the first one to ask "when is the Super Deluxe MOTM coming out"? :magoo:

PhoffiFozz and D-rock like this.
  6. The Spaceman

The Spaceman Forum Resident

Well how do you think the 2CD deluxe edition compares to the 3CD deluxe editions in terms of sound? That's pretty much what you can expect.

Say, has anyone actually discussed the sound on the three 3CD sets? I've read the threads and didn't see much discussed about it.

7. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo!

Or Head's Disc 1 and 2.

8. Antifrodis

Antifrodis Forum Resident

Not that I'm filing a complaint here, but I was expecting the backing track to "Whatever's Right" to be on this set. Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't "Whatever's Right" briefly listed on a pre-release track list for the first album 2 disc set? Or am I thinking MOTM? Also, what's the story with "Jokes"? My Sandoval book is currently packed away. (what was I thinking?!)

Rubber Soul likes this.
  9. Rubber Soul

Rubber Soul Well-Known Member

Don't know if it's been mentioned but what about the Micky Tracks before the Monkees(Don't Do It & Huff Puff)? I guess those will be on the Deluxe MOTMs. In truth there are other Nez tracks before the Monkees that should be here also. I really feel the Solo Records should have their own release but it is what it is.

Iceman08 and Silver Surfer like this.
  10. readr

readr Forum Resident

It was recorded during the time the album was wrapping up, same time as Steppin' Stone. Possible he is saving it for a MOTM box.

I am very excited to hear the have been able to separate recorded elements from the tv show reels. This opens up a lot of fun stuff for this next round of Super Deluxe box sets. There are some audio/song mixes I am hoping to hear from the series from the MOTM era......Words (mono tv mix), Valleri (mono tv mix), Laugh (mono tv mix) and I Love You Really, off the top of my head, for starters.

Rubber Soul and Silver Surfer like this.
  11. readr

readr Forum Resident

I have a feeling we are getting only what they own, here. You can get the Micky tracks on iTunes. The early Nesmith tracks not on this set are not Colpix, so probably a different negotiation there. I didn't see any more Nesmith demos on this set. I wonder if there are any more of those? I am not sure who owns the rights to the All The King's Horses and Don't Call On Me demos.

Rubber Soul likes this.
  12. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

You know I wonder if one of those Nez tracks is instrumental like "A Journey with...". Hope not. Never thought but the two early Dolenz tracks and Peter's "I Truly Understand" woulda fit nicely too.

13. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

Yeah, figured it would be a rights thing

14. readr

readr Forum Resident

I just ordered mine! All set. Looking forward to this.

The sight of new remixes on some of the album tracks is promising....someone mentioned this a few posts ago, too. I am hoping there is some work on those New York-based MOTM tracks. It also looks like the original Deluxe set for the debut is worth holding on to (they always are, but I thought it is important to note). Several tracks are on that set that didn't find their way onto here. I think it's also important to point out that Andrew (from what I digest) has used his own sources for the Disc 3 material. These will not be the Friday music dubs. I had no problem with the Davis Jones album from Friday Music, but my buck has always been well spent at Rhino. I will consider these dubs the master digital transfers.

Iceman08, wayne66 and D-rock like this.
  15. minerwerks

minerwerks Forum Resident

I wouldn't be surprised if dialog/music/effects stems still exist for some, if not all, of the Monkees episodes. These elements would be key to producing foreign language dub tracks.

PhoffiFozz likes this.
  16. cabowabodude5150

cabowabodude5150 Forum Resident

ordered.

chad

17. silvertrees

silvertrees Forum Resident

Ordered!
    We Monkee fans are so fortunate to have Mr Sandoval
    in our corner!
    I can't wait to consult his invaluable tome- for further info
    on all the unreleased material seeing the light of day for the first time on this release.

Thanks Andrew for what is sure to be the definitive version of The Monkees debut album.

18. sbeck201

sbeck201 Forum Resident

Tried a few times but failed for me too.

19. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

Try thru a different browser

20. empirelvr

empirelvr "That's *just* the way it IS!" - Paul Anka

But by the same token, they have two unreleased Nesmith/Blessing tracks (which have never been bootlegged to my knowledge,) which suggests they have some type of master source.

21. JuanTCB

JuanTCB Senior Member

I wound up just checking out as a guest - for some reason, my account was not being recognized, no matter which browser I used. You might want to give that a shot.

22. MagneticNorthpaw

MagneticNorthpaw Senior Member

I want to order, but am leery that Time Warner is going to repeat the annoyance of keeping a perpetual hold on that $72. That only started with the Super Deluxe Present box set - kind of excessive to avoid getting your order canceled. (And, no, I don't use credit except for emergencies.)

If you pass the two-three day hold time, the pending debit should fall off until it ships.

23. Chip TRG

Chip TRG Senior Member

On a related note...this brings up an interesting point. It's been kinda stated that Rafelson and Schnider regained Monkee ownership from Columbia/Screen Gems because of C/SG trashing a lot of raw elements of Raybert/BBS productions. With these production elements for the TV show turning up now, I now wonder what exactly was trashed and what managed to elude the dumpster? (Head, Easy Rider, etc.)

24. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

I have a Birds Bees set for sale over in the classified.
    It's just too much to listen to over and over.
    Having said that, this does look like a decent set although the pre Monkees solo stuff really isn't Monkees. What would they put on the Changes box, Magnetic South and Loose Salute? :)

HELLOLARRY and MarkTheShark like this.
  25. lou

lou Fast 'n Bulbous

i agreee - i don't particularly want solo Davy stuff. That's basically the entire third disc. They could have kept this at 2 discs or included more alternate mixes and instrumental versions on the third disc.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.