Saturday Night Live (SNL) 2014-2015 Season thread

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Marry a Carrot, Sep 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

I knew that Chris Pratt was in Parks and Rec and the newest blockbuster movie and that Ariana Grande is the newest pop star, but I still found nothing enjoyable about the show.

I haven't felt any compulsion to snicker in the last two years and don't hold much hope for the near future.

Jerry Horne likes this.
  2. jupiter8

jupiter8 Forum Resident

I'll bet people said that about Britney Spears 16 years ago..it's amazing how long careers can last these days- I think certain people are anointed and packaged on a 20 year plan. It wouldn't surprise me if Disney somehow still owns a piece of her, Timberlake, Aguilera, and Miley Cyrus- why would they develop young talent and cut them loose when they hit 18?

3. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

I knew who they were, and didn't care.

Jerry Horne likes this.
  4. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Finally fired up the Tivo and watched it tonight. Gotta agree with those that couldn't find a thing to laugh at. Nada...Weekend Update usually has a few laughs....not a one for me. Never liked Colin, don't like him now and I like the new guy less. Didn't like a single sketch. I hope I'm just too old for it now (53) and as someone else suggested, perhaps it's being written for a new generation. The audience seemed to laugh....I guess I just don't get it anymore. I did really enjoy the show all the way through the Wigg and Hager casts. Not really that long ago, so I don't know if it's age or the show is truly terrible. If the writing isn't there the cast doesn't really matter. I think the writing has been horrible since Seth left. We'll see.

rburly likes this.
  5. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

For me it was the music cues. And I also liked how when some characters exited a scene and the door opened, you saw Kyle Mooney's character waiting off screen outside the door for his cute to enter.

bartels76 likes this.
  6. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

I like almost everyone in the current cast, especially Vanessa, Kate, Cecily, and Kenan, but agree that the writing in the season premiere was mostly very weak. The action-figures-come-to-life sketch was mildly amusing, and Kyle Mooney's dry humor is always welcome, although the Seinfeld parody sketch didn't really work for me. Hope the writing improves and they give the talented cast better material to work with.

7. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

Which one was the Seinfeld parody? It was only 3 days ago and O don't recall it.

I think that Pratt did well in each sketch he appeared.

8. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

I took the Kyle Mooney 90s sitcom sketch to be basically a parody of Seinfeld.

9. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

To me, it was a spoof of Full House or Boy Meets World, or Saved by the Bell. A 'youngster' learns a lesson after falling in with a bad crowd. As @agentalbert posted above, right down to the music cues.

Dan C, seed_drill, zebop and 3 others like this.
  10. OldSoul

OldSoul Don't you hear the wind blowin'?

If you thought that was a Seinfeld parody, no wonder you didn't like it. It was a TGIF sitcom spoof.

Dan C and stereoptic like this.
  11. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

I've never seen one episode of Full House or Saved by the Bell or whatever it was apparently parodying. Maybe I am indeed no longer the target demographic for SNL.

goodiesguy, OldSoul and stereoptic like this.
  12. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

sounds like it. have you tried "Are You Being Served"?

13. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

I like most of the returning cast. It always takes me time to get used to new members. As you said, for me it has been the writing that has been doing the show in for the past couple of seasons. Seems to have gotten much worse sinse Seth left.

14. sparkydog

sparkydog Forum Resident

[​IMG]

15. Aggie87

Aggie87 Gig 'Em!

Not sure it's been listed in this thread yet, but here's the current cast:
    Plus the featured players:
    What's interesting (and good) to me is that of the main cast, there are 4 male & 4 female members. And I can put a name to a face for all of them lol. Not sure I can do that for the featured players yet. Other than Colin Jost, who I don't think is very funny and lacks personality. And Sasheer Zamata, who seems to have been left out in favor of writer Leslie Jones this past week.

lightbulb likes this.
  16. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

I didn't laugh as hard at it as I did the action figure one, but I appreciated it more.

17. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

I liked that she had cat ears on her head, to remind us of the character that brought her to teen fame. I also like that she's skinny and young. Her "music" however, made me want to punch sharp objects in my ear. Fortunately, I found the remote first.

goodiesguy and Jerry Horne like this.
  18. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

A few observations:
    I have seen many season openers and there have been worse ones than this. There were a few funny sketches and the rest was forgettable.
    This was the second time they did the a "your fill in the blank is dead". Right? No need to go it again not really funny the first time.
    Love Leslie Jones. I hope we see more of her and Pete Davidson was great!
    They need to limit the Aidy sketches she plays one character (Midwest housewife) and plays it well. No need to have her do it four times over in one show. All the females are immensely talented more than the current males so use all of them!!
    Glad to see no game shows sketches and more imaginative sketches rather than relying on the old formula standbys .

19. krock2009

krock2009 Forum Resident

Well, this week's show is huge improvement over last.

20. MekkaGodzilla

MekkaGodzilla Forum Resident

I dunno....Chris Pratt dressed as He-Man jamming his cake covered fingers onto his junk was a high point that will unlikely ever be reached again.

Jerry Horne likes this.
  21. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

As much as I hated last week I need to give this weeks show some props. It was a gigantic improvement over last week even though I still hated most of Update. Those two anchors are just terrible together. There is no chemistry what so ever. However, even the skits I didn't care for at least seemed like effort was put into them and it was probably just not my kind of humor. I only skipped through a couple...been a long time since I could say that. If they can keep on this trojectory they might have something. Hard to believe it was the same cast and writers from just a week ago. They made great use of Sarah and Maroon Five really put their hearts into their performance. I wish they would use Vanessa Bayer more though.

22. OldSoul

OldSoul Don't you hear the wind blowin'?

I think this was a neraly perfect episode. Doesn't mean I have hope for this season, though. I think we're gonna see a lot more like the premiere. I'll bet next week will be yet another alumni show, and after, who knows. Sarah was just a really good host and obviously contributed ideas to the sketches. That monologue was great.

krock2009 likes this.
  23. Wow, if this episode was a huge improvement over the season opener, that must've been one of the worst episodes of all time. I like Sarah Silverman and the monologue was at least interesting, but her several stumbles and blown card reads showed why she didn't last on the show. Not that the writers gave her much to work with. I bailed during the "cheating wife returns from vacation" sketch and presume there wasn't any buried gold after that.

Only laughs: Kenan Thompson's Al Sharpton. "Ms. NBC", hah!

zebop and tonyc like this.
  24. krock2009

krock2009 Forum Resident

That Jimmy Carter joke during Update was something that Norm would have done back in the 90's.

anthontherun likes this.
  25. davidshirt

davidshirt =^,,^=

[​IMG]

This is forever etched in my mind.

sparkydog likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.