Embarrassing Moments At a Record Store/Show?

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by The Spaceman, Sep 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

J
    Jeebus - haven't been to Da Das in ages. 78 Records used to be my haunt - sad to see it about 1/4 the size it used to be.

2. djej

djej Forum Resident

A few years ago I went to San Francisco. I asked a couple of friends who had been before what music shops I should go to and was recommended Amoeba and Groove Merchant. Both were on the same street, and I had no clue what either would look like.

So I went to the first store (going by the address I had remembered) and didn't see a sign on the store front. Browsed for a bit. Picked something out to take to the register. Bought the merchandise. I then asked, "Do you know how far up the way Groove Merchant is?" He replied tersely, "This IS Groove Merchant." I felt like a ***** (justly so).

Of course, after I went to Amoeba, I realized just how different the stores are in terms of size. I still find the story funny to this day. LOL.

GentleSenator and jamesmaya like this.
  3. ernie11

ernie11 Senior Member

Not quite embarrassing, but a lil uncomfortable. About 25-30 years ago, a local record store was having a big vinyl sale, and I was there going thru a box of Beatles UK / Dutch / French import singles (not originals, just reissues), but they were all still in mint condition and unplayed and only $2 each. So I was thinking to myself "wow, what a great deal!" and grabbing up a bunch of the ones I wanted to buy. About halfway thru, I become aware that someone was hovering over me and I recognized the person as the area's resident Beatles expert. He was totally beside himself that I had gotten there first and was snapping up all these 45's that he also wanted. I felt sorry for him, but I held my ground till I was done picking what I wanted, yet it was not a comfortable feeling.

jamesmaya likes this.
  4. pathosdrama

pathosdrama Forum Resident

He owned it.

5. Coricama

Coricama Classic Rocker

What a tool. Is he still in business?

6. pathosdrama

pathosdrama Forum Resident

He stills looms around there, but the store is facing a bad crisis. CDs are on their way out, technology and stuff getting the most space now. Usual business here.

7. adamdube

adamdube Forum Resident

About the only thing embarrassing I ever did a a store was eat cabbage and noodles prior to my trip. I had my 8 year old in tow as she likes to help me find albums. Well I thought I got away with it when my little girl said, "Oh Daddy, you stink!" The hottie behind the counter heard it.....I didn't go back for a few months....next time I was there she was as well....."Hope you're felling better today" she says.....I turned the same shade of red as the day it happened.

jamesmaya and PHILLYQ like this.
  8. JBryan

JBryan Forum Resident

I was at a shop during a sale - buy one, get one free. I had been there for about an hour and pulled maybe 30-40 records that I stacked at my feet, next to the bins. I had just found another album and suddenly noticed that my stack was gone. I spun around and spotted this guy walking away with my loot. Normally, I'm anything but confrontational but for whatever reason, I kinda freaked and ran after him, grabbed his shirt and was ready to spout off when he turned... and there was the name tag. Obviously, I had almost accosted an employee who was just trying to help. He immediately noticed my agitation and said he was sorry "...just putting your records in a box for you sir" and proceeded to put them in a box and hand them back to me. I apologized, thanked him and sheepishly walked back to the bins but I did suggest over my shoulder that "...next time, I'd appreciate it if you just bring the box to me". :sweating:

jamesmaya and ernie11 like this.
  9. kozy814

kozy814 Forum Resident

In the 1990's there was a very cool little record shop in Madison Heights, MI called Sound Dog Records. They had a few used LPs and some CDs out front and a treasure trove of the very best bootlegs from the mad 90's infestation from Europe and Australia, behind in the back room. They had every single Yellow Dog, Great Dane, Vigatone CD and some key LP sets. Box sets, singles, doubles, soundboards, studio outatkes -- all the legendary titles. Beatles, LZ, Stones, Dylan, Nirvana, lots of new concerts. On my first visit they were playing an Unsurpassed Masters CD, but they would not sell me anything that was illegal. They we're jovial about it but they refused to let me in the back room. I was foaming at the mouth and pretty much begged. They laughed and made me buy some less then satisfactory used CDs -- Micheal Jackson, Whitney Houston and Madonna junk to prove my worth. Only then would they allow me back in the bootleg room on my NEXT visit. We became friendly and I procured some of the very best bootlegs ever over the next couple years. Soon after, their supplier got raided by the FBI, the store was cleaned out and boarded up with no trace of anyone. To this day, I marvel at what those guys had in that store. Amazing.

10. Muzyck

Muzyck Pardon my scruffy hospitality

I went on a trip to San Francisco with my parents in the early 80's. I decided to take a day trip by myself and check out the a couple of record stores in Haight-Ashbury. Thought it would be cool to see the hippie love vibe going on. When I got there I found out there was a whole different type of love vibe going on. Saw some forms of public displays of affection that embarrassed my young teen sensibilities at the time.

11. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

I can't believe Haggle is still in business. Quite possibly the worst record shop in London. Get down to Alan in East Finchley for a proper record shop :D

12. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

What is an "ethic hat"?

13. Scooterpiety

Scooterpiety Ars Gratia Artis

When I was 14-15 years old, I used to special order a lot of records from a record store a few miles from my house. I got to know the owner pretty well and he was always very nice to me. One day I called the shop and an employee answered. I told him I wanted to special order an album and he was clearly annoyed that he had to check the Phonolog and fill out my order slip. He told me to wait a minute and he set the phone down. I heard him say to somebody in the shop "I don't know why the little bastard can't come into the shop." It pissed me off, so I hung up the phone.
    When I was in the store a few days later, I mentioned the incident to the owner. He was genuinely concerned and he asked me what day I had called, so he could figure out which of his 2 or 3 employees it was.
    He ended up firing the guy, which totally surprised me. I felt really good when he told me "You're a really good customer, you spend a lot of money here and I won't tolerate employees who are rude to customers and complain about doing their job." He was a very nice guy, I often wonder what became of him. He closed his shop around 1981 and I haven't seen him since.

Agent of Fortune and drasil like this.
  14. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

15. Alan2

Alan2 Forum Resident

I walked over to the new release section of an independent CD store (which is no longer open) back in the '90s. The woman serving caught my eye and said something like 'Can't you see there aren't any new releases this week?' I think it was just before Xmas or something. I hadn't asked her any question, or even opened my mouth. She actually shouted, like we were in the middle of an argument. I was so dumbfounded, I said nothing and just left the shop. In retrospect I should have told her she'd just lost a customer, and given her a piece of my mind. I guess some people have a bad day and want to take it out on someone. The thing is, I had spent moneyy there in the past. If it had been a chain store, a letter of complaint would have been the thing, but I may well have been speaking to the proprietor.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.