Best sounding Charley Pride compilations

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by 905, Feb 15, 2013.

1. 905

905 Senior Member Thread Starter

What a great artist... I was wondering if anyone could recommend a Charley Pride compilation. The one disc Essential looks great for content, at least. It also looks like it's OOP here, but my local Walmart has it. If it sounds good I'll get it.

http://www.amazon.com/Essential-Charley-Pride/dp/B000002X20

2. houston

houston Forum Resident

look no further than the Time-Life 1995 single-disc collection....25 songs, every important tune, and mastered by Dennis Drake

Lurgan Lad and SOONERFAN like this.
  3. Kkfan

Kkfan Forum Resident

Saw Charley Pride in concert last Saturday in Effingham, IL. Super voice and performance even at this age.
    Amazing concert.

Lurgan Lad likes this.
  4. Luke The Drifter

Luke The Drifter Forum Resident

Is the 2006 2 disc essential a good comp? I assume it is remastered by Vic Anesini.

Sadly it does not include two of my favorite tracks "Crystal Chandeliers" and "Does My Ring Hurt Your Finger". So also, does anyone know a good place to find these two tracks if the Essential above is considered a good comp?

The Time-Life comp recommended above is OOP.

Thanks

5. Luke The Drifter

6. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

Back.jpg Charlie Pride's Country a 3 disc set from Readers Digest. Awesome set.

SOONERFAN likes this.
  7. Luke The Drifter

Looks good.

Sadly, it is OOP and selling used for $75.00.

Any other suggestions?

Does anyone have the Essential set mentioned above?

8. steveinphilly

steveinphilly Forum Resident

I have had that one-disc "Essential Charlie Pride" that you link to since 1998 and my memory of it is that the sound is fine--but I haven't ever thought about it from an audiophile viewpoint. It's definitely not some budget release of poorly mastered tracks, I can assure you. As you probably noticed, there is also a two-disc "Essential" that came out in 2006 in case you want more tracks for about the same price.

But sound-wise, I don't think you would go wrong with the one disc version, especially if the price is right.

9. Luke The Drifter

10. coleman

coleman Forum Resident

I'm also trying to find a good comp. I think The Essential Charley Pride is the best one going right now, but, as stated above, there are glaring omissions, like Crystal Chandeliers, I Don't Think She's in Love Anymore, Amy's Eyes, and Does My Ring Hurt Your Finger.

I'm trying to find a CD with the original version of Crystal Chandeliers, but everywhere I turn, most every comp is full of re-recordings. On iTunes, I found two CDs that each had a different re-recording of that song. It doesn't make sense that the original recording is so hard to find.

Side note: If anyone is interested, I see on Amazon that a two-fer was released of Pride's first two albums, Country Charley Pride and Pride Of Country Music. Perhaps we'll see other albums on CD in the future.

11. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Is this the original ?

12. Faceman

Faceman Forum Resident

13. McLover

McLover Senior Member

The 2 CD Essential set mastered by Vic Anesini is the go to compilation. Has a better selection of his hits.

SOONERFAN and melstapler like this.
  14. coleman

coleman Forum Resident

Yep, that's the original. Seems the only way to get it is to get the original LP.

15. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

For an artist who at one point in his career had outsold The Beatles and Elvis Presley, I find that Charley Pride's recording output from the 1960s and 1970s has been vastly neglected. Charley still puts on a great show in concert and continues to sell out in Canada and Europe. The sizes of his shows here in the U.S. are about comparable to those of Ronnie Milsap. One thing I really like about Charley's current band The Pridesmenn, is they have an organic approach which allows them to accurately re-create Charley's classic material. You won't hear synth keyboards or anything, although his 80s material was enjoyable for the times.

BluesOvertookMe, Kkfan and Mr. H like this.
  16. coleman

coleman Forum Resident

Does this one have the original recordings or the remakes? It's the Legendary Country Singers disc, right?

17. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

Right, it is the Legendary Country Singers disc and it does use the original recordings. Import CD comps have Crystal Chandeliers though.

SOONERFAN likes this.
  18. BradOlson

The reason why it isn't on many comps is that it was not released as a single in the US, but it was released as a single in the UK

19. BayouTiger

BayouTiger Forum Resident

Amazing that so few of his studio albums are still available. Find the vinyl for "Roll On Mississippi" and "You're My Jamaica" they both sound great and are among his best albums top to bottom!!! There were others in that era (1977-83) that were bigger hits, but those are my personal favorites.

melstapler likes this.
  20. BradOlson

Christmas In My Hometown has just gotten reissued as well as a twofer of his first 2 albums. Real Gone reissued a twofer of his RCA Gospel albums.

melstapler likes this.
  21. Luke The Drifter

Brad,

Do you know a good CD source for Crystal Chandeliers and Does My Ring Hurt Your Finger?

22. BradOlson

SOONERFAN likes this.
  23. coleman

coleman Forum Resident

BluesOvertookMe and SOONERFAN like this.
  24. BradOlson

For Amy's Eyes, go for the Varese comp or the Curb comp of the 16th Avenue recordings

SOONERFAN likes this.
  25. BradOlson

Yep, those are the original recordings for both of those songs as BMG was who owned RCA back in 1996 so for Crystal Chandeliers, go for Time Life or an import RCA comp.

SOONERFAN likes this.