Tears for Fears-Songs from the Big Chair-Nov.4 Boxset

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by peterzac, Sep 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. peterzac

peterzac Forum Resident Thread Starter

Totally agree, there is so much room to put extra stuff on the bluray and it could all be put on at 24/96. Just take a look how fully loaded XTC-Drums and Wires cd/bluray is and priced much lower than even the best price on this boxset.

2. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

One, please!

3. godslonelyman

godslonelyman Forum Resident

Must. Resist. Nitpicking. This. To. Pieces. So instead colour me excited about the video version of Mothers Talk, Run The World, the whole of Disc #4 and life in general.

Question: is the clean intro version of Listen identical to the version on Famous Last Words?, that one had a clean start too, though I don't recall it being edited signficantly down as the time stamp on this version (4:03) indicate.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2014
    JulesRules likes this.
  4. VeeDub

VeeDub Senior Member

The Shout/US 12" remix is not on the MFSL CD. The MFSL CD has, as bonus tracks, a slightly longer version of the Shout/UK 12" extended version and the EWTRTW/UK 12" extended version. As also noted by another poster, the version of Head Over Heels found here (in the main album itself) includes an extra refrain of "la la la la la..." and is a bit longer than elsewhere.

fpas likes this.
  5. VeeDub

VeeDub Senior Member

Paul Sinclair of SuperDeluxeEdition corrected that time stamp on their website. It is the full 6-minute-plus album version minus the crossfade coming out of "Broken (live)."

whisper3978 and godslonelyman like this.
  6. Tornado Red

Tornado Red Forum Resident

The blu ray stand alone is up for pre order at Amazon.ca as of this morning, $22 CDN. Don't see it on .com yet, but expect it soon...

positively4th likes this.
  7. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Save that for the next project. Especially if they were film and they could spend as long as it takes to build up a killer Blu-ray from scratch.

8. bongsteve

bongsteve New Member

I've never bought a blu ray audio only disc before. For those that have, how much better is the audio than what I will get on the box set DVD-A 5.1 mix? I'm not what you'd call an audiophile and have a pretty standard 5.1 system connected to the TV and BD player. Just not sure if it's worth buying this disc in addition to the box set.

9. bongsteve

bongsteve New Member

And some more good news that apparently Seeds is next. Not sure when but I'd guess in 5 years on it's 30th?

10. morgan1098

morgan1098 Forum Resident

Wait... did you actually read/hear about this somewhere, or are you just engaging in wishful thinking like the rest of us???

11. bongsteve

bongsteve New Member

Somebody asked on the TFF SFTBC Super Deluxe Edition page and Paul commented that it's coming (or something to that effect, can't access the site right now). No other details.

12. morgan1098

Awesome. Thanks! I was following the comments there for a while but I somehow missed that.

bongsteve likes this.
  13. ti-triodes

ti-triodes Senior Member

Just received this update from Amazon UK concerning the box.

Unfortunately, the release date for the item(s) listed below was changed by the supplier, and we need to provide you with a new estimated delivery date based on the new release date:

Tears for Fears "Songs From The Big Chair"
    Estimated arrival date: November 17 2014 - November 21 2014

bongsteve likes this.
  14. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

The 5.1 sound on the Blu-Ray will have the exact same sound as the lossless 5.1 mix on the DVD-Audio.

If you can only access the standard DVD-Video lossy tracks (i.e. if you don't have a DVD-Audio player), it will sound almost as good (DTS) or noticeably inferior (Dolby Digital).

bongsteve likes this.
  15. fpas

fpas Just...take it easy, man.

Comment from the guy over at SDL says: "....it shouldn’t have been 40 seconds longer. That was simply an error where someone accidentally left the tape running. It sounds terrible, and is in no way an official remix. It was never released in the 1980s for a start."

So I think I am quite satisfied with that.

16. jamesc

jamesc Senior Member

True, it certainly wasn't released that way in the 80s and I don't really think it needs to be on the box. Paul did a fantastic job on both TFF boxes so you won't see me complaining.

I actually like the chaotic ending that's on the MFSL though. It's just a nice variation on a remix I played a million times when it was released.

17. VeeDub

VeeDub Senior Member

Totally agree; it's just an extra tidbit that makes for an interesting variation on the tail-end of the song, but I wouldn't have expected anything but the "official fade-out" for 7:40-ish with that one.

18. tvstrategies

tvstrategies Turtles, all the way down.

sunspot42 and JimC like this.
  19. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

Quintessential means that it has all the key features, good and bad, of the set it exemplifies. SfTBC is pretty much flawless, and some of its greatest strengths are not particularly the strengths of an '80s album. It's like saying that Citizen Kane is the quintessential B&W movie or Parsifal is the quintessential C19 opera. These things were exceptional because they were the exception.

Raf likes this.
  20. tvstrategies

tvstrategies Turtles, all the way down.

Picky, picky! But I do agree that SFTBC is pretty much flawless. Just ordered from Amazon UK for £31.60, a less than extortionate price vs Amazon US' $84.98 (£1 = $1.62). The best part is that I'll probably forget about it, and have a very pleasant surprise in about 6 weeks. Plus, I've never heard any of the songs other than the eight from the original LP. Which reminds me that my Yes Relayer pre-order will be showing up soon...

21. morgan1098

My favorite version of "Everybody Wants to Rule the World" might be "Pharaohs." There's something very addictive about it.

Can't wait for this glorious release!

22. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Morgan, upthread I used the word hypnotic to describe that song so we are on the same wavelength there.
    Jeff

jamesc likes this.
  23. rushed again

rushed again Forum Resident

Just catching up on this release. Steven Wilson did the 5.1 in this set? My goodness it looks nice.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2014
  24. Smiths22

Smiths22 Well-Known Member

A week after Pink Floyd, and the same week as Bryan Ferry - Avonmore then.

25. JulesRules

JulesRules Weaponized, Deranged Warthog Thug

Same here. Slightly related - is it only my copy or does anybody else's copy of the 2006 deluxe edition have a high noise creeping in during "Pharaohs"? This has always bugged me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.