The Monkees (debut) Rhino Handmade Super Deluxe 3-CD set

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by fspadafora, Mar 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FredV

FredV Senior Member

As discussed on a previous thread on the topic, I spoke to Andrew Sandoval about a Changes box and he said it was unlikely as the multi-tracks are still missing, and he won't do a box set without them. Hopefully they'll turn up one day, but for the time being, don't hold your breath for a Changes box.

2. JDistheone

JDistheone Forum Resident

I would much rather have more of the Boyce & Hart demos, than the solo stuff. But I never bought the David Jones solo CD so, for me, its all good.

3. JuanTCB

JuanTCB Senior Member

Yeah, the Coplix Davy in mono AND stereo is a bit much. But hey - if they have the tapes for both (a big if, of course), why not? What's the album - 25 minutes long?

One omission that doesn't make any sense to me is Micky's "Don't Do It".

4. MarkTheShark

MarkTheShark Senior Member

The difference is Rhino owns the Colpix label. If you read back several posts, Andrew was quoted as saying the Colpix stuff is needle-drops from his own personal collection, except for the two unreleased Nesmith songs which are from a tape source. Micky's solo singles were on the Challenge label. There was a CD single of them released in the last few years -- I don't have it and I have no idea of its provenance -- whether it's from the masters or legitimately licensed, etc. I am under the impression that crazy 12" single from 1986 with the dance remixes was released by the owners of those tracks. But who knows?

5. The Spaceman

The Spaceman Forum Resident

These are very long sets. I would put on the Instant Replay and Present boxes and it's a good 3hrs per set to listen to the whole thing. It can definitely be too much at a time.

Keith V likes this.
  6. Well if it goes to Rafelson it may as well be trashed as he doesn't seem willing to let Monkees stuff see the light of day.

7. MarkTheShark

MarkTheShark Senior Member

Apropos of nothing -- I just started getting a new channel on my cable called "TIME" which is all infomercials for Time-Life. They have been running promos for the Ed Sullivan Show, Midnight Special, Carol Burnett and others. In between, they have these short (under 2 minutes) "Time-Life Moments" which are interviews with various music people. One is with Micky Dolenz -- telling stories we've all heard before. Micky also co-hosts one of the infomercials for a 60s music collection. A few of the short interviews are new ones like that, but a lot are clips of Dick Clark interviewing people from American Bandstand (all of which appear to be B&W kinescopes). I have seen We Five,. Lovin Spoonful, Beach Boys, Frankie Avalon, Otis Redding, Shelley Fabares, and others. No musical performances in these, just interviews. Just a minute, minute and a half long each.

8. If they could remix and remaster them properly I sure wouldn't mind. Great albums, crappy releases in every format.

D-rock likes this.
  9. If they release MOTM super deluxe next year, does that leave Pisces... for the 50th ann in 2016? Will Rhino even have the rights then?

Keith V and PhoffiFozz like this.
  10. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

I'm on the fence with this one.
    I already have the Friday release of the 'David Jones' album.

Darryl

11. readr

readr Forum Resident

I'd guess Rhino is going to see this thru. My speculations are usually pretty close to what happens, so here's what seems will happen. Rhino will do a MOTM box next year, hopefully early next year, with the same format as this box (mono and stereo + bonus on 1, sessions on 2, and the third disc will be the NYC single sessions with Jeff Barry/early '67). Then, next will be a revamped Headquarters Sessions box (since people are hoping for this re-release, it seems right). Then in 2016, I suspect there will be a Pisces box. That seems right. Wrap it all up on the 50th anniversary. We'll have Super Deluxe Box Sets for every album.

Iceman08, Galley, D-rock and 3 others like this.
  12. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

And then roll out 4 disc boxed versions of all the albums and start the cycle again! Muahahahahaha!!!!

agundy, MarkTheShark, 905 and 2 others like this.
  13. jupiter8

jupiter8 Senior Member

Only if the 4th disc is a DVD that is 38 minutes long

14. dasjr

dasjr Forum Resident

It's worth noting that while Friday released the Jones album in mono, and Davy's Bandcamp site released it in stereo, both releases have plenty of vinyl surface noise, something that I'm certain this new set (and Sandoval) will seek to avoid.

Iceman08 and D-rock like this.
  15. Tracy Robison

Tracy Robison Forum Resident

Andrew confirmed to me that most or all of the HEAD outtakes were sitting in a vault deteriorating. I thinks it's a combination of the lack of both permission and money that prevents their release.

16. DennisF

DennisF Forum Resident

Sadly, I don't think that idea is really far-fetched.

17. BobT

BobT Resident Monkeeman

I do. There really cannot be too much left for most albums. I imagine the 3 disc version of PACJ will be very tough to fill out. Albums where they might be able to fill out 4 discs (My opinion/guess):
    Headquarters
    BB&M
    Possibly MOTM
    If they have to pad the 3 disc version with Davy's pre-Monkees album and Pre-Monkees Nesmith tracks, I really doubt they could put together a 4th disc for the 1st album. Head? no way! IR and Present? Doubtful-there were some repeated tracks on the 3 disc sets from other albums, so probably not. Changes? Cannot even do a 2 disc set, and no multis have been found, so no more bonus tracks...

18. Paper Wizard

Paper Wizard Forum Resident

I am going to pass on this for now. I have much of this material and backing tracks don't excite me.

Keith V likes this.
  19. music4life

music4life Senior Member

Being a HUGE Monkees fan, even I have to admit that Davys first solo album sucks (Not that the second one is much better). I too would have rather seen Boyce & Hart demos and backing tracks dont thrill me at all. Will I get it? Eventually, but I still have to get the "Instant Replay" and "Present" sets first! :D

anthontherun, Mr Hankey and Keith V like this.
  20. BobT

BobT Resident Monkeeman

Just remember that the 1st album has a larger following then Present and IR, and there are only 4000 being made, so you might want to grab this one fairly quickly...

BeatleStair likes this.
  21. music4life

music4life Senior Member

Good point! LOL

22. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

I think that the folks who dig these Super Deluxe editions are most likely more fans of their material from Headquarters on.

23. readr

readr Forum Resident

I have to think Andrew wanted to give us the best collection possible here for our money. I could make a 3 disc set that looks a lot like the Instant Replay box, for the debut, if I pooled together the LTTB box remix tracks, the CD bonus tracks, the original deluxe stuff and what he's got for us on discs 1 & 2 of this set (and those few IWBF demos from the 3rd disc). But, for this set, using the David Jones mono album and the Blessing singles on disc 3 he padded this box with a lot of stuff previously unavailable on a digital format. I get his angle, and I appreciate that thought process -- giving us more for our buck was a priority.

The format for this box, with both the mono and stereo album on the 1st disc, makes me worried about the jackets. I liked having the album sleeves for both the original mono and original stereo covers (discs 1 & 2). I hope they do this again, even though both formats are on disc 1.

PhoffiFozz likes this.
  24. The problems is BB&M and IR were pretty much outliers in terms of outtakes. The other albums never stood a chance of matching them, esp BBM. But I don't mind these sets, I even wish Changes could get one. I just wish the masterings weren't so bright, I can hardly listen to my fav song out of all these sets, Auntie's Municipal Court (Mike's Vocal). Pierces my ears. And I'm not be facetious.

25. JRB

JRB Forum Resident

I was considering skipping this one as I am quite satisfied with the two CD mono/stereo set. But of course, they WOULD have to include the Micheal Blessing singles. Well, so much for not blowing a big gaping hole in my spending budget this November! heh.

PhoffiFozz likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.