New Judas Priest Album Complete

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jeffgt14, Mar 19, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trillmeister

Trillmeister Forum Resident

Jeff, there are some crackers on POE, no doubt, as, indeed, there are on all 'Priest albums. (Although the recording location of Ibiza seems incongruous to the forging of perfect Metal, given its reputation for accommodating delightful holidaymakers with a penchant for standing around in groups, jumping up and down whilst blowing whistles.)

My eyes always tended to glaze over when someone started to bang on about BS but the more I've played it (of late,) the more it has struck me as profoundly great and 'Stealer' plays out as the perfect ending.

ian christopher likes this.
  2. jeffgt14

jeffgt14 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Can’t forget all the great albums that were recorded at Compass Point Studios in the Bahamas. Maiden recorded POM, Powerslave, and SIT there.

Trillmeister likes this.
  3. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Thanks. I bought BS on LP when it came out and didn't like it overall (and really really hated BTL....didn't mind LAM as much but not a huge fan of it either). Ditto with POE, which I also bought on LP back in the day. I don't have either of them anymore to refresh my memory on specific songs, but am curious to revisit them. The only Priest I have now is everything up through Unleashed (plus the Hero Hero remixes), & this new one (all on CD). Over recent years I have heard a few scattered songs off some albums and didn't like any of them but don't recall what they were.

4. SizzleVonSizzleton

SizzleVonSizzleton The Last Yeti

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/ju...ls-tour-in-rochester-video-footage-available/

Night number one of the tour. HAVE A LOOK AT THIS SETLIST!!!!!

01. Dragonaut
    02. Metal Gods
    03. Devil's Child
    04. Victim Of Changes
    05. Halls Of Valhalla
    06. Love Bites
    07. March Of The Damned
    08. Turbo Lover
    09. Redeemer Of Souls
    10. Beyond The Realms Of Death
    11. Jawbreaker
    12. Breaking The Law
    Encore:
    13. Hell Bent For Leather
    Encore 2:
    14. You've Got Another Thing Comin'
    15. Living After Midnight
    16. Defenders Of The Faith

Four new songs (Halls and Redeemer :righton:), Devil's Child, Jawbreaker. No Painkiller is a bonus too, it's a brutal song for Rob and anyway, Halls of Valhalla has a similar drum vibe. I think that's an awesome setlist for a 40 year old band with a new album!!! I would guess that Defenders is just played over the PA, not live by the band, but I don't know that. I am excited like a kid to hear a boot of this show. :goodie:

Last edited: Oct 2, 2014
    weekendtoy and Matthew Tate like this.
  5. jeffgt14

Spoiler tags!!!!

Curveboy likes this.
  6. SizzleVonSizzleton

SizzleVonSizzleton The Last Yeti

Sorry, never thought about adding a spoiler tag! Done. Commented on a few of the songs after that but there you go! Shoot me if you must, I'm excited!

"Not drowning, just waving"!!!:wave:

7. jeffgt14

It’s good. I was just stating that before other people see it. There’s no shows close to me this year so I would’ve probably looked anyways.

8. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

Scored tix to the Barclay's Center show tomorrow night...looking forward to it as I haven't seen 'Priest since the summer tour with Heaven & Hell.

9. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

FYI: Defenders is not played over the PA :cool:

Saw 'Prest last night...I was suprised at how much of the heavy lifting is left to Richie with Glenn taking a back seat. The show was really solid, and even a diminished Halford is better than 95% of the singers out there.
    My only disappointment was that out of my 5 favorite tracks off the new disc they only played one (MIA for me; Crossfire, Secrets of the Dead, Battle Cry, Hell & Back).

10. drapes

drapes Forum Resident

So you liked it? I saw them in Montreal the other night and was a little disappointed. It was a big drop-off from the last time w/ Sabbath in '09 on the Metal Masters tour.

Rob can still belt it out, no question, but not consistently. They only played 90 minutes and he was constantly disappearing backstage presumably to suck on oxygen, and he STILL left bits out. In Montreal he didn't sing the chorus of Turbo Lover, he left it to the crowd which annoyed me greatly. He didn't sing ONE WORD of Breaking the Law - it was an instrumental and he strolled back and forth across the stage holding the mike to the crowd. There were a few highlights for sure, but overall it wasn't great.

It was weird how Ritchie got a spotlight for his solos but Glenn didn't.

11. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

Yes, I enjoyed it over-all.

I do agree with you about Rob handing the vocals over to the crowd...it can be annoying. For my show he split the chorus for Breaking The Law with the audience...same with Hell Bent For Leather...he traded off on You Got Another Thing Comin'...I have watched videos where he's abdicated all vocals to the fans. It wasn't too bad at my show.

I think (much like Paul Stanley) that if he stuck to a range he'd be better off and leave the screaming to the past. He came back out after the lead breaks in Beyond The Realms of Death and gave a really soulful vocal that was great.

12. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Glenn Tipton is 67 years old.

Of course Richie Faulkner is going to do the heavy lifting for the band in terms of guitar playing these days. Arthritis, bad backs and knees takes a toll on the old folks in the band. Probably a good thing that K.K. Downing retired (as much as I hate it) or you'd have a really lackluster show with all the guys limping around, sucking oxygen, and what not. That's no disrespect to the band, but stating fact. A metal band, and especially one of the nature of Judas Priest, isn't going to look great when most of the members are in their 60's. They've been doing this for almost 45 years.

13. cdollaz

cdollaz Forum Resident

How long was their set? It seems quite a bit shorter than the last tour.

14. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

I get it...but considering Glenn did most of the lead work when I saw them with KK I was surprised that so much was being played by Richie.

Another note; Ian's bass sound was amazing...

1:45

15. kingofstoneage

kingofstoneage Forum Resident

Besides - how was Steel Panther?

16. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

Skipped them...got there just before THE PRIEST took the stage...

17. drapes

drapes Forum Resident

Awful.

Purple likes this.
  18. weekendtoy

weekendtoy Rejecting your reality and substituting my own.

19. kingofstoneage

kingofstoneage Forum Resident

Why?
    I saw them three times! - in a row-........
    Always very entertaining!!

20. drapes

drapes Forum Resident

Not my thing. People seemed to be enjoying it....

21. Trillmeister

Lat night, I cast my mind back to forty years (but not more) and rolled out the debut, Rocka Rolla.

It was during the outgoing warbling of 'Run Of The Mill' that the undistilled magic of classic 'Priest washed over me and despite its basic production values, found myself deriving huge appreciation of the emerging array of this embryonic, twin axe attack and that splendid mournvocal, each complimenting the other.

For 'Priest live and as I've said before, Roberto seemed to be 'struggling' at times when I saw the Ram It Down show years ago so barring some transhumanist form of extreme reanimation, it must surely be something of a stretch, nowadays, to imagine little bar Metal sans Zimmer.

Further to this point, I must confess to never having been an outspoken advocate of core shaking enthusiasm when it comes to seeing my hard rocking heroes continue to perform as frail dotage takes hold.

A very good friend of mine who understands the minutiae of the creed, insists on seeing anyone and everyone who once upon a time in the 70s was firing on all cylinders and will loudly and with much enthusiasm declare that the latest Rush gig, say, is/was the best he's ever seen: I then remind him he saw them bid A Farewell To Kings but even more crucially, experienced Rainbow Mk2 on the Rising tour in 1415 and perspective order is quickly restored.

slipkid likes this.
  22. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

I know early Rainbow kinda sounded medieval but I didn't know they (or you) were around 600 years ago!

P.S. I love RockaRolla.

Trillmeister likes this.
  23. weekendtoy

weekendtoy Rejecting your reality and substituting my own.

I saw Fleetwood Mac a few weeks back and whose ages range from 65-71. They looked and sounded great. Of course it's a different style of music and perhaps that makes all the difference in the world.

As much as it pains me to ever say anything discourging about the Metal God himself, Rob is not holding up so well. I'd hate to see such a marvelous legacy tarnished in any way by subpar performances.

24. Trillmeister

Evensong brings a short double lesson of 'Rock appreciation and Rock theory' for my youngest so as the session finished and with this thread on my mind, I hooked up the 'Priest live album of 1979 and selected the opener.

It's a record which seems somewhat damned by indifference, if not exactly faint praise but as Glen and KK let rip from left, right and centre, old Robbie gave it what for with a vengeance akin to some crazed, mutant escapee from The Muppet Show.

There's a sharp viciousness not merely to the performances' sheer energy levels but also their accomplishment and if the bass is a tad 'down' for some palates, it doesn't seem to detract from a band who genuinely sound 100% focused on the delivery of 100 octane, metalized thrills, to a crowd of punters.

Certainly, nothing I saw in the mid-latter stages of the following decade, seems to cry out from the memory banks as having proffered steel to quite reprise that hissing intensity.

25. jeffgt14

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.