The Next Day David Bowie. Has anyone played it this week?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by The Good Guy, Oct 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Good Guy

The Good Guy Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hello Music people

I was very happy that 19 months ago David Bowie announced a new album was in the works. Despite being a big Bowie fan & owning virtually everything (don't own Toy ,Baal ,Cruel World , Overground etc) I would freely admit if I dislike what he has done but Ghent again I love the fact Bowie takes risks.

I remember buying it & there was tracks I liked , some I didn't . I was dissappointed in the sound quality (the mastering was not good , I have it on LP as well) & I felt the people involved (Visconti/Bowie himself should have known better)

A friend once said that David Bowie albums grow on you . I have found he is right Black Tie White Noise for example.

The last time I played the Next Day was 6 weeks ago. No real urge to play it soon however Heroes/Lodger/Diamond Dogs/Pin Ups I have to tell myself to stop playing them!!

Have you played the album this week or very recently . What do you think of it now?

Love On Yer

2. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

i played it a month ago.

3. Juggsnelson

Juggsnelson Senior Member

Played the deluxe two weeks ago (watched the videos too!)

4. Moshe

Moshe "Silent in four languages."

Last week.
    I still like it very much.
    Not every song, but I think it's a good album.

5. johnnyyen

johnnyyen Senior Member

I haven't played it for a while but still rate it.

DrBeatle likes this.
  6. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Nope. I couldn't get "Tin Machine II" off my turntable. No joke, I've just redicovered this and it is fantastic, gets better with repeated listenings!

Raving Russell and snowman872 like this.
  7. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Any classic tunes on it?

8. Neonbeam

"Baby Universal", "You Belong In Rock N Roll" and "Goodbye Mr. Ed" are as classic as 90's Bowie is going to get:)

Mogens likes this.
  9. ShawnX

ShawnX Forum Resident

It's a great album. Played it last week.

10. Luca

Luca Wolf under sheep clothing

Great album, and my vinyl copy is excellent (superior to the CD)

11. arar

arar Senior Member

I played it yesterday on vinyl. I think it's great album, even the soud is good.

12. BlueSpeedway

BlueSpeedway YES, I'M A NERD

I have a great home-made compilation made from my favourite bits of my Tin Machine II, Black Tie.., and Buddha of Suburbia CDs.

I sold my The Next Day. By the time the third version was announced in quick sucession, it was obvious Bowie had no care or interest in definitively sequencing or presenting his new material, so I lost interest too.

13. Neonbeam

I never sell Bowie stuff anymore because I actually need the "Tonight"s and "Never Let Me Down"s in order to be able to revisit them and reassure myself that they REALLY are as bad as I remember them;)

14. Neonbeam

....not that I think "The Next Day" was bad :)

BlueSpeedway likes this.
  15. Ash76

Ash76 Wait actually yeah no

I played it about 2 weeks ago

16. Helmut

Helmut Well-Known Member

I'm currently not in my Bowie mood, haven't played anything from him at the moment.
    But this will change sooner or later again and then I will definitely listen to that album again.
    It's in the nature of things that newer albums of long lasting artists will not have the impact as their earlier work. Cause we were young tehn and had time to listen to the music with hungry ears. And we listened to each album we got
    as long as we needed to finally like it or "get into it". Nowadays we have too much stuff to listen to. And if an album doesn't unfold at second listening, we move on to the next one or return to an old one....

Skydogg, j4yheindeo and DBMethos like this.
  17. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

I have all the different cd editions but haven't played it in a few months (huge bowie fan by the way, have a pretty comprhensive collection). However I bought it on LP yesterday as it was on sale at London Drugs so will be playing it sometime this week.

18. badsneakers

badsneakers Well-Known Member

Not recently, but played it loads when it first came out. A case of just too much stuff in my in-tray. I did like it however, and thought it was his most interesting work since 'Outside'. It's a real grower. 'Where Are We Now?' and 'Heat' are fantastic.

DrBeatle likes this.
  19. gohill

gohill Senior Member

Listened to it yesterday on my I-phone at work during my lunch hour. I play it that way frequently. Have the vinyl at home which I like as well for a more serious listen .I also have the deluxe cd version I got cheap a few month back (love that James Murphy mix). Still really like it a lot. Its a strong set of songs, well realized and performed. I definitely prefer it to it's two predecessors, 'Earthling' and 'Reality' (which are both pretty good but not great). Alongside 'Outside'' I reckon it is probably his best album since Scary Monsters'. That said, i wouldn't swop it for any of his studio albums released between 'The Man Who Sold The World' and the aforementioned 'Scary Monsters and Super Creeps' in a million years. It is a genuinely fine record though and well worth being in his catalogue.

JeffMo and DrBeatle like this.
  20. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

what happened to HEATHEN and HOURS which come between earthling and reality?

theMess and John Hatter like this.
  21. gohill

gohill Senior Member

Ahh I meant Heathen, wrote Earthling by mistake. you got me!!

theMess and Matthew Tate like this.
  22. Grissongs

Grissongs Forum Resident

Funny that this thread should crop up as I've been listening to this album on pretty high rotation the last few weeks; I'm slightly embarrassed to say it kind of passed me by when it was released last year as despite the long wait and the fanfare I guess I just wasn't in a Bowie "phase". Now I can't stop listening to it. Not every song grabs me but some have really grown on me and I think it's really impressive, especially so for a 66 year old 'elder statesman': it still sounds fresh and vital and his effortless vocal mastery is on full display. As many have already mentioned, it is mastered on the loud side, but I can live with that as I groove to Stars Are Out Tonight, Valentine's Day or Dancing Out in Space...

gohill likes this.
  23. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

I wasn't too keen on Hours, Heathen, and Reality but I dig The Next Day. I got the deluxe version only a few months ago - must spin it again.

24. conjotter

conjotter Forum Resident

How is The Next Day on vinyl?

I listened to the CD and didn't care for the sound at all - it really undermined the songs.

Recently picked up Pin-Ups and Hunky Dory LPs. Great records.

25. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

It's the only latter day Bowie album I have. I bought it awhile back but I haven't listened to it yet. Hopefully I'll make time to play it later this week.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.