some Criterion Blu-rays are starting to rot and no longer play, including some OOP titles

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Jason Pumphrey, Oct 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jason Pumphrey

Jason Pumphrey Forum Resident Thread Starter

Found this out on Blu-ray.com
    The details and titles affected can be found here:
    http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=249210

The OOP titles affected so far are Howards End and Pierrot Le Fou.

This seems to be affecting only some of the discs of the titles, so it most likey a replication plant issue

So far Criterion is not responding to emails regarding the matter.

Here's hoping they have a replacement program.

2. Freedom Rider

Freedom Rider Senior Member

Seems like that's the case, according to what we know.
    Imagine the havoc that would follow if more Criterion BDs released in 2010, 2011, 2012 and later on started rotting the same way in a couple of years or so.:eek:

3. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

My copy of Night and the City (#274) has never played in any player I've tried. It has that bronzed coloring that some of the discs linked to show. Unfortunately, I bought it used and never tried to return it.

4. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

I didn't start buying Criterions until about 5 years ago, so I'm not worried about this.
    I spend a lot of time on Blu-ray.com, and in typical internet fashion, full blown hysteria has broken out, hope the same doesn't happen here.

Roninblues and hi_watt like this.
  5. If the titles are out of print its unlikely they have a replacement option for those titles.

6. amoergosum

amoergosum Forum Resident

"Alrighty. I called and talked with a very nice lady who was more than helpful. If I knew it would be such a helpful, informative call, I'd have considered recording it to share with you all. I had no clue they would reveal this much information though. I think I remember all of the important bits. I'll jot things down in a list form below so as to not miss anything...

-They are aware of the issue, but they only have confirmations on two titles - Summer Hours and Walkabout.

-I informed them of my situation (listed in OP), and read off to them the five titles with bronzing that no longer work, the one that freezes (Gomorrah), and the one with bronzing but still works as of right now (Days of Heaven).

-She was very appreciative of the information. I also read her off all other titles that have been reported as having issues.

-She jotted everything down to make note of it all to bring it to the attention of the guys in charge.

-She told me that they have over 1,000 emails in their inbox that they haven't even had time to look at or respond to yet. They are being hammered, and with only around 25 people working for the company and fewer than that which are able to deal with emails and things, it's just taking longer than it normally would.

-They are aware of the threads on various forums concerning these issues.

-Right now they are dealing with the Eraserhead situation. They are getting a lot of those discs in every single day, emails as well on that one, and they are trying to take care of that problem before tackling this bronzing issue.

-They are however already actively doing research into this problem and will then come up with a way for them to deal with it.

-She assured me that everyone with defective discs will receive replacements. It may take time, but they will take care of every single customer.

-The only exception to this is, unfortunately, for people with OOP discs. They have absolutely no stock of any of the OOP titles anymore, and they have no options to print additional copies for replacements. They will offer some sort of solution for those people though, which may be another Criterion title of your choice to replace it.

-She told me to remove all of my damaged discs and to put a sticky note on each and every one of them giving exact details of the problems that they are having. I am then to take the discs, and only the discs, and mail them to the address that she gave me.

-They do NOT want people to just randomly start mailing discs to them.

-They are going to deal with this on a case by case basis. Once you hear from them, have it be on the phone or in email, they will then instruct you exactly what to do as they did for me just now.

-They are aware that they have had issues with some of these titles in the past such as M and Walkabout. However, if you have bronzing and that sort of thing, this is a completely different and separate problem and they recognize it as such.

-They will be responding to each and every email soon. They have simply been slammed and that, mixed with Eraserhead, they are behind way more than ever before. Be patient, and they will take care of all of us."

Source:
    http://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.php?p=9815966&postcount=408

hi_watt, Simon A, Vidiot and 3 others like this.
  7. Jerry Horne

Jerry Horne WYWH (1975-2025)

Wow. I purchased the Blu of Walkabout a few years ago and haven't even watched it yet. This sucks.

8. Jason Pumphrey

Jason Pumphrey Forum Resident Thread Starter

I was not trying to start any bad hysteria or anything, just letting folks aware of the issue.
    I, myself have a few on the list, and mine are fine.

I am a longtime Criterion fan and buyer of their media, and will continue to do so.

9. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member

Yeah, I wouldn't imagine they'd have the right to print new copies once their license has expired on a title.

This is really dispiriting news.

10. Grunge Master

Grunge Master 8 Bit Enthusiast

I never knew that Blu-Ray's could actually rot. That's nuts.

Holy Diver likes this.
  11. Remington Steele

Remington Steele Forum Resident

Laserdiscs often had that problem.

12. amoergosum

amoergosum Forum Resident

PhantomStranger, lbangs and Vidiot like this.
  13. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

Hmmm........ This very interesting the fact most dvds are suppose to last a long time
    I never had dvd rot before but blu ray and especially, criterion is really
    to be held in high standard than these cottage type of outfits .
    Maybe 40 % blu ray well rot over time?
    Well some cds made by PDO they rot but it took a very long.

14. greenman

greenman Forum Resident

This will side-track Criterion for awhile working out some form of replacement program.Hope it doesn't cut to deep into their resources.
    Pressing plants - you can't trust them.

15. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

This could end up being very expensive for Criterion and the consumers. I am too afraid to check my discs at the moment.

Peter Pyle and Vidiot like this.
  16. Texastoyz

Texastoyz Forum Resident

Hmmm, the only blu Criterion I have is Robinson Crusoe on Mars...though I don't think it would be much of a loss if it was one of the ones with problems. :whistle:

17. jojopuppyfish

jojopuppyfish Senior Member

I have the Walkabout blu ray and it looks, on inspection, brown.....but I can't tell you if that was the original color

18. ZAck Scott

ZAck Scott Senior Member

I have the Walkabout Bluray as well and it too is brown. This is bad...

19. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

News to me, too!

That's what I would think. The laser rot problem happened because it was two separate disc sides glued together; the theory was always that contaminants in the manufacturing process (water, plastic, and aluminum) oxidized over time with the glue. There's no glue in Blu-ray, so you gotta wonder why the aluminum substrate coating is oxidizing and/or bronzing. This is a very troubling problem.

Criterion is also a tiny, tiny company that doesn't make any of their own discs -- they sub-contract it all out to various suppliers. I feel bad for them, because massive questions and returns could cause them a lot of economic harm.

20. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

I will continue to buy Criterion Blu-Rays. They are too good for me to give up on, and this could happen to any disc. Just makes it worse because these are Criterion discs.

21. Galley

Galley Forum Resident

Same here.

22. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

Also, they don't own the movies they release, so they are not always at liberty to repress and make very thing good to their customers. A huge part of their business model is collectability (no other company numbers their releases, I think it's fair to say) but if their titles are deterioriaing over time I think it strikes at the heart of everything they've accomplished-- for reasons that are completely outside of their control. It's really a worst case scenario with no obvious solutions.

hi_watt and Vidiot like this.
  23. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

The phenomenon is actually well known - try google. That's why I transfer everything to hard disk with backups. It's also a lot easier accessing stuff from a disk than having to shuffle through hundreds of physical disks stored in various locations.

24. SpudOz

SpudOz Forum Resident

In the same boat. I'd better pull it out and check.

I also have both M and The Seventh Seal on that extended list manufactured during this period that are still sealed so I'd better check those as well.

Thank God The Man Who Fell to Earth is not on that list.

hi_watt and Jerry Horne like this.
  25. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

I have nearly every one on the extended list and luckily none have issues...I was sweating for a bit.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.