Jimmy Page To Form New Band

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by wdp33, Sep 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BeatlesObsessive

BeatlesObsessive The Earl of Sandwich Ness

Maybe Jeff Beck will be at Wilson's house and pick up the bloody phone!!!!

footlooseman likes this.
  2. BeatlesObsessive

They were incredible times. But Page wasn't exactly robbed of the opportunity to perform and play music. He was not exactly an oak as far as his personal constitution and health were concerned and he went considerable distance to ruin both during the Zeppelin era. He also got involved in a life threatening addiction which sidelined him for years after Bonham's death. Add to that the grief and shock which must have been devastating.

But the question is ... "so how do you explain the THIRTY YEARS AFTER all of that?" There have to be 100 great electric rock/jazz guitarists who have made careers in that time. Larry Carlton, Stanley Jordan, Jeff Beck, Al DiMeola, Joe Satriani, Steve Vai, Frankie Gambale, Allan Holdsworth... one can imagine the ups and downs in the careers of these men.. and not ONE of them has the opportunity to put the name Jimmy Page on any of their work! Page had three full decades to get SOMETHING going.. he's done some stuff but the personal inertia that comes with having had it all has held him down for the most part.

footlooseman likes this.
  3. BeatlesObsessive

No need to analyze Plant's POV. This is a band that used to come out and blast off with The Song Remains the Same and Black Dog. Whatever gifts and grace come to you as you age in a musical sense... there are some things that are given to you in your youth. Plant has been trying to say nicely and diplomatically that "LOOK... I can't do that stuff anymore. I SUNG that stuff and I can't get near it now and I can't come up with a cleverer version of Black Dog that's gonna top that!" He did his best at the 02 show and wants to leave it behind. Page and Jones could do what they did when they are 90 years old roughly. Plant was struggling with this stuff before Zeppelin even ended!!!

Why wasn't Page doing what CLAPTON did to great effect 5 years ago or so.. he toured with BECK and they cleaned up.

footlooseman likes this.
  4. gohill

gohill Senior Member

He's procrastinated too long. He is 70yrs old and enjoys record collecting, travelling to the far east, living a life of complete luxury, spending time with his kids. I just can't see him getting a new band rehearsed, his own guitar ability up to the high demands the material makes of it and also the whole publicity game. He does the Zep publicity thing here, jets over to NYC for a few days, buys some records, comes home, hangs out with his best pals and his family and that's what happens. New music? He's kidding himself on. It's 7yrs since the o2 and nada.

footlooseman likes this.
  5. Hagstrom

Hagstrom Please stop calling them vinyls.

Nothing will come of this. People need to relax. Page does a lot of talking about this sort of thing and so far nothing happens.

6. Dondy

Dondy Forumaniac

The Firmbirds :yikes:

7. wowiezowie

wowiezowie Forum Resident

I can't think of a guitarist who's playing has deteriorated as much as Page's has. He was shot by 1975, just listen to the bootlegs. He hit his peak in 1973, specifically the European tour then took a year off, got into heroin and the rest is history. When they toured in '77 he could barely play, it's painful to hear how bad he is.
    Face it, he's a has been.

Carserguev, Kevin j and rjp like this.
  8. rjp

rjp Senior Member

whatever jimmy page does, he should beg john paul jones to play with him.

9. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

jpj is out on the road right now playing mandolin in the dave rawlings machine. i saw them twice last week and it was great. one of the shows i got to sit in the front row, right in front of john and dave. john was having a BLAST playing with that band.

10. EddieT

EddieT Forum Resident

He could call it Ledyard Firmbirdz

11. howlinrock

howlinrock Forum Resident In Memoriam

Cry wolf again Mr. Page. Just go do it then talk. Look towards your old partner for the integrity.

12. p s gb

p s gb Well-Known Member

Why do people think Paul Jones is hanging on the phone.
    This year he is writing an opera
    He seams a busy person getting on with the projects that interest him

13. audiotom

audiotom Senior Member

third rate Peter Gabriel is better than most things

I appreciate Plant's candor to not flog the past

He did the 02 concert, why must people demand more

Page has been missing his muse for 35 years more than double the time he had it

Rooster_Ties likes this.
  14. Zep Fan

Zep Fan Sounds Better with Headphones on

Just call it "The Jimmy Page Experience"

15. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

Obviously, Plant does not want to be out there trying to shriek old Zeppelin rockers on the stadium circuit as if he were still some young golden god. That stage of his career is over and he's made peace with it. There's a lot more pressure and expectation that comes with that kind of a gig and he seems to be pretty happy doing his own thing. What's more mysterious to me is that so many fans seem to think that they could successfully rekindle the old spark at this stage of the game.

16. DJ LX

DJ LX Forum Resident

Good move on Page's part. I hope this comes off - I think it will.

Is Terry Reid available? I don't know anything about him other than that he'd once been considered as lead vocalist for Zeppelin before they found Plant. It's be a neat bit of symmetry to have Reid be Page's vocalist for an album and tour.

17. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

I agree. Plant has made some wonderful solo music on his own. I give him credit for sticking to his guns.

Any Led Zeppelin tour would have sky-high ticket prices, the first 100 rows "reserved" for scalpers, endless complaints here and in other forums about dropped tunings and "Jimmy/Robert isn't as good as he was in 1969/1970/1971..." and "Jason can't play as good as his dad". It would be a smear on their legacy.

There are plenty of b**tlegs out there for FREE for anyone that wants to hear a real Led Zeppelin concert, and I'm sure that you can find a top 10 list of the best of 'em pretty quickly.

18. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

Why do people keep mentioning the 02 concert...shouldn't it be 12?

19. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

That they rekindled the spark to an amazing degree at the O2 probably has a lot to do with that.

20. DJ LX

DJ LX Forum Resident

And would result in endless pestering from the press and fans should they choose not to play "Stairway to Heaven" at each and every concert, a scenario Plant would rather avoid.

21. ElevatorSkyMovie

ElevatorSkyMovie Senior Member

Drugs? Alcohol?

22. I'm glad Plant has followed his own muse, and even though I don't yet have his entire solo catalog (maybe eventually) -- but what albums of his I do have I often prefer over most Zeppelin these days. Robert should do (or not do) whatever he chooses, and more power to him for going in whatever directions he prefers and feels called to.

I loved The Firm (still do!), and would love if Page did something again with Paul Rodgers -- either explicitly Firm-ish, or anything those two might like to try together (if Paul was game, which isn't to say that he is, or necessarily should be).

But other than that, my interest in Page is fairly limited at this point.

23. DJ LX

DJ LX Forum Resident

Or lack thereof. :D According to recent reports the strongest substance Page uses these days is tea! Seriously, I think the reissues - both overseeing them and promoting them - has taken up a lot of his energies. However, that's winding up leaving 2015 wide open. I'll be surprised if we don't see something new from him next year.

24. BurgerKing

BurgerKing Forum Resident

ChesterB likes this.
  25. tonesforchris

tonesforchris Forum Resident

While I wouldn't get my hopes up, I am optimistic that he will tour again at some point - hopefully with some new material. My preference would be something akin to the Outrider tour which had a nice mix of the better Firm tracks, and cuts of the new album with Zep classics thrown in for good measure.

I can see why people miss Led Zeppelin tours, but Robert Plants new album is great, and having seen him with the Sensational Shape Shifters on their last tour I can confirm as others have been saying that he plays more than a few Led Zeppelin numbers per show. To my ears, Robert Plants current musical direction is much in the same vein as the 90's Page & Plant collaborations.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.