are the who and the kinks the only 2 bands with huge differences in mono/stereo mixes?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Matthew Tate, Sep 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident Thread Starter

are the who and the kinks the only 2 bands with huge differences in mono/stereo mixes?. i know some other bands do as well but it doesn't seem to the huge extent that the kinks and who did it

nowhereman87 likes this.
  2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

no idea what you mean. kinks and who stuff was mono mainly and the later stereo stuff matched pretty closely.

3. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

This could start a Beatles thread.

Keith V, EddieT, goodiesguy and 12 others like this.
  4. Matthew Tate

isn't there big differences most of the time in the kinks and who mono/stereo mixes? instruments missing or added, vocals changed, etc. seems to me like usually there is or just the levels of things drastically changed. guitar lick barely audible at a certain part in mono is cranked up in the stereo version and so on. stuff like that

5. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

The first two Cream albums are pretty different between mono and stereo.

BIG ED and e.s. like this.
  6. BadJack

BadJack doorman who always high-fives children of divorce

I'll throw in the Zombies. The stereo mix of "She's Not There", for example, is missing drum overdubs from the well-known mono version...and honestly, it kinda stinks.

BIG ED and e.s. like this.
  7. Matthew Tate

could you tell me some of the differences?

8. o_O

e.s. likes this.
  9. bcaulf

bcaulf Forum Resident

Ask the people who are sunken deep into the "Beatles In Mono" threads.

10. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

All the Kinks hits on Pye are mono only from 1964-67. All the Who stuff for the most part the same until '66. Not sure what you expect to find and you aren't saying so, I give up!

e.s. likes this.
  11. Matthew Tate

there are mono and stereo mixes for most everything the kinks did. the deluxe edition of the first album has been released as a 2 cd set with a mono and stereo mix. for instance though "you really got me" has reverb added to the vocals of one mix. there is a mix of "do you remember walter?" without some of the percussion and acoustic guitar work. this is what i am talking about. it seems like the kinks and the who have more different mixes of their material depending on which version you have then any other band. maybe THE WHO SELL OUT is the greastest example of something being very different in mono and stereo

Mister Charlie and BIG ED like this.
  12. timlamp1

timlamp1 Forum Resident

If you can still find it,the original UK Decca mono mix of The Stones Beggars Banquet is radically different from that of the stereo,especially on Sympathy for the Devil. The end especially. It goes on about 15 to 20 seconds longer & doesn't abruptly fade out.There is no slap back echo on Jagger's opening scream,& it's much faster & in a higher pitch. The piano track is much more up in the mix,as is Keith's guitar solo in the middle bridge. I'm listening again & also noticed very audible claves on No Expectations that just aren't there on the stereo mix. Dear Doctor has a much different Jagger lead vocal track than the standard stereo.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2014
    BIG ED likes this.
  13. Matthew Tate

wow thanks for the heads up

timlamp1 likes this.
  14. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

15. ShockControl

ShockControl Bon Vivant and Raconteur!

If the op wants to hear records with huge differences between the mono/stereo versions, he should check out some Capitol albums circa 1957-58, during which times the mono and stereo albums were separate recordings of the same sessions, each using their own set of mics, mixing consoles and engineer. And not just Capitol.

Talk about mono/stereo albums sounding radically different…

BIG ED likes this.
  16. slane

slane Forum Resident

Folddown mono, except 'Sympathy'.

Tommyboy, Larry Geller and BIG ED like this.
  17. Maggie

Maggie like a walking, talking art show

Also Atlantic. Not to mention Stax/Volt stuff like Otis Redding's stereo Otis Blue, which is 1/3rd re-recordings.

brianvargo and BIG ED like this.
  18. Dave Hoos

Dave Hoos Nothing is revealed

The two main instances that come to mind involving both The Who and The Kinks are "Our Love Was" from The Who Sell Out, which has completely different bass and guitar tracks from mono to stereo...and "Mr.Pleasant", which is simply a different version in stereo. Both the mono and stereo versions are on the deluxe edition of Something Else By The Kinks.

There may be more subtle differences in other songs, but they are the two that immediately come to mind.

BIG ED likes this.
  19. OneStepBeyond

OneStepBeyond Senior Member

I didn't know that about the bass on the Who track, but there's a totally different solo from Pete on it and that took me by surprise when I first heard that! :D I don't know the mono version of Sell Out anything like I do the stereo, though (both stereo mixes, to be exact.)

Then there's the bass on I Can See For Miles; didn't John dub a 2nd bass over the top (which follows the chord sequence instead of hanging on the E note as the stereo mix does) for the mono single (and possibly the mono LP mix too)? :)

20. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

The first Kinks record has a stereo mix, but the others were mainly mono only until Face to Face. The first Who album was mono only, most of the stereo versions of those songs have missing bits because they were overdubbed once the multitracks were mixed down to mono.

Matthew Tate and BIG ED like this.
  21. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

Your hearing must be exceptional, as the mono Beggars Banquet is a fold-down except for Sympathy.

22. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

Jefferson Airplane's "After Bathing at Baxters" was mixed significantly differently for mono, with far more present vocals in particular.

BIG ED likes this.
  23. timlamp1

timlamp1 Forum Resident

My hearing is quite good to notice things you just can't hear in the stereo,even for a fold down. It's not just the sound quality. It's little extra things. More mellotron in Stray Cat Blues. More sitar and & extended ending for Street Fighting Man. Sounds pretty unique for a fold down. Fold down or not,the mix is noticeably different than stereo,where sound elements are buried.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2014
  24. LambertHoroscope

LambertHoroscope Forum Resident

First Traffic & Floyd albums come immediately to mind, as I'm sure many here know about already.

25. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

A fold down boosts the elements that were panned to the center compared to the ones that were panned to the side. But you can achievve the same thing by playing the stereo version while setting your receiver or preamp to mono mode if it has such an option.

slane likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.