Kiss 2014 Vinyl Reissues (Pt5)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by hodgo, Sep 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. markaberrant

markaberrant Forum Resident

I have compared Hotter Than Hell 2014 reissue to a blue label Canadian original, and late 70s Canadian reissue. 2014 reissue wins handily, and I have been somewhat critical of the 2014 reissues.

I should compare it to the 97 remaster CD, maybe this weekend.

2. batman144144

batman144144 Nocturnal crime fighter/audio enthusiast.

I think the HTH reissue is great. It's finally been lifted out of the sonic mud it's been in all these years, at least to some extent. Definitely one of the more enjoyable reissues.

Emperor5353 and 4stringking73 like this.
  3. lj905

lj905 Forum Resident

OKAY - The Hotter than hell original 74 blue label USA NBLP 7006 vs 2014 reissue!!
    My set up:
    TT Rega P7
    CARTRIDGE Benz Micro Ace S L
    RIAA ASR Mini Basis II
    All I can say:
    -If you have some kind of better, mid-end set up, the original completely crushes the reissue.
    The things that's missing on the reissue is LIFE and DYNAMICS
    On the original you can hear the cymbals and snare ringing out, the drums aliveness - and the layers of music - the notes floating- fading, like in real life, the deep / the 3d in the music.
    Yes, the reissue is perfectly silent, the stereo image is as good as on the original - but everything sound stiff, static - the drive is gone... sounds muffled to!
    Reverb, echoes - all gone.... a flat soundstage is all there's left.
    I really wanted the reissue to sound better, but it does not. The 1974 blue label 1st USA pressing is superior - I will not buy another of the reissues.
    My advise is - buy the originals. It takes a little time to find them, but they are the real (analogue) thing.

4. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

Thanks. I listened to my original copy last night and it sounded really good so I saw no reason to buy the new one.

5. artieziff

artieziff Forum Resident

I listened to the ace frehley solo reissue last night and I have similar opinions. I wouldn't go so far to say it is awful but the result is a bit disappointing. As others have stated, this is a guitar - rock lp, and i had hoped it would remain so but have just a bit of cleanup on the rhythm section. However, raising the bass level did tame the guitar crunch and leaves the lp sounding uneven. The rhythm section should ultimately serve the guitar in this case, but instead it fights for the same space.
    However there are some noticeable differences and some buried elements that are more prominent. (Extra acoustic guitar, etc.) So it's not all bad, just...different.
    At the end of the day the original is still the best version. It's hard to perfect something that was done right in the first place. Honestly, I feel a little similar about the Love Gun reissue, but it isn't as drastic as it is in this case, because the ace solo album sounds and feels different overall

4stringking73 likes this.
  6. stinsojd

stinsojd Senior Member

Excellent summary, Artieziff. I agree with your assessments 100%. The original sounds a lot closer to how I think this type of music should sound. The reissue offers an alternative presentation that may or may not be to everyone's taste. It has maybe a little more bass, but it comes with a definite price to the guitar sound. It is not all bad, but it is definitely different.

7. jmobrien68

jmobrien68 Forum Resident

I've heard all the complaints about Hotter Than Hell's production... I couldn't really comment since my childhood copy came from 'The Originals' 3 lp set that was played to death on a ****ty suitcase player so was probably shot to hell by the time I got a decent TT in my teens. A few years ago I got an original smoking man pressing off e-bay and am still amazed by how awesome it sounds... just love it and never considered the 2014 reissue for a second.

4stringking73 and lj905 like this.
  8. artieziff

artieziff Forum Resident

What is most disappointing about the Ace solo lp (aside from it being the best solo lp by quite a distance in my opinion, and I do like the others too) is that many of these reissues were able to do what I feel was very difficult: Improve something that sounded pretty decent the first time around. Granted, the first 3 always had production problems, and other assorted lp's also fell short here and there (especially Unmasked). However, I can say that the first 3 sound great, Alive! somehow sounds more earthy and live, Unmasked is a huge improvement, and RARO, already a great-sounding lp, sounds better overall. It's hard to argue that a nice original pressing sounds good, as I believe all of the first presses sound fantastic and are the standard, but it's nice that the new standard equals those or are superior in some cases, and that they are readily available for the time being.
    But the entry price for these is quite steep, I mean, freakin' Beatles and Zeppelin remasters are only $22. With Kiss, there's just so many of them, not to mention that one could afford to buy both Beatles stereo and mono reissue boxed sets for around $700 or so, and the comprehensive Kiss box set is well over double that. It is also much, much cheaper to buy a nice run of originals rather than buy these new reissues, as nice Kiss records are fairly common, albeit less so these days. So I can totally understand why one has to be careful purchasing ones that don't live up to the standard, as it has become a semi-endurance run for those committed to collecting in the long term.

stinsojd and 4stringking73 like this.
  9. jmobrien68

jmobrien68 Forum Resident

The drumming on Hotter Than Hell is phenomenal

Emperor5353 and 4stringking73 like this.
  10. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

Peter is great on those first 3 discs...it's later that you hear his decline.

11. LongPlay33

LongPlay33 Well-Known Member

In love gun and Alive 2 peter is still phenomenal.

12. 4stringking73

4stringking73 Forum Resident

Well, I am surprised at your assessment and honestly feel bad for urging you to spend your money on the reissue. I am glad that you gave it a listen though, I just wish it wouldn't have cost you. Hopefully you can resell it? It is a great album and we both definitely agree on that:tiphat:

lj905 likes this.
  13. lj905

lj905 Forum Resident

No problem, got it on discount - and it for sure gave me an answer of how the new releases really sounded.
    Guess my, sort of -high end stereo brings the best out of the original, and high light all the problem that the reissue have. Things that occur when you digitalise an analogue signal, then turn it back to analogue vinyl again. The ambiance and room information from the recording studio get lost when they try to erase tape hiss and other "disturbing" sounds.
    Until they really transfer analogue to analogue - we will hear these half digital reissues - too bad, it kills the music!

14. 4stringking73

I know others may disagree (and I respect that), but here is my top 3 fave of the reissues (in order) as far as what I believe are "improved" sonics over the original release.

1. Unmasked
    2. Hotter Than Hell
    3. Alive

Emperor5353 likes this.
  15. lj905

lj905 Forum Resident

May I ask what turntable, cartridge and riaa you are using?
    I ask because all the 3 US original pressings sound excellent on my set up
    The only pressing that is superior to the US, is the first Japan pressing (pink/white obi- blue label) of Alive.

16. 4stringking73

You bring up some really good points on digital and analog and conversion etc. First, I am glad you are pleased with your system and it makes your collection shine. I think many times a person's setup vastly affects what it sounds like and thus people forget that the same pressing can offer a completely different experience.
    I don't think we will ever see a true analog revival in repressed/reissued vinyl on a mass scale. I am ok with that, I personally see the hybrid combo of the two continuing to evolve and surpass what each could do on their own.
    I am excited by what was achieved by the reissues. We are fortunate to be able to choose between the originals and the reissues.

17. 4stringking73

Sure, it is nothing exciting and is listed in my profile.
    Audio Technica Lp120 turntable
    Audio Technica AT95 cartridge
    This goes into a pair of Audio Engine A2+ speakers

lj905 likes this.
  18. lj905

lj905 Forum Resident

I to - use to own an AT95E - a fine, musical cart. Someday you should try a MC cart. Maybe you have to invest in a new riaa as well - but I can assure you - it will make your collection shine. Actually a better set up will make a less good sounding production sound so much better. The insight into the music, the small details that a budget tt/cart will miss, really makes a difference. A better cart does find more information in the grooves
    Now - back to the music we love: KISS

Last edited: Oct 2, 2014
  19. 4stringking73

Thanks, I am disabled and don't have a ton of coin and I bought this at the beginning of the year to dip my toe into vinyl. Needless to say I am hooked and drool over a lot of equipment that grossly exceeds the cost of my setup!:drool:

Emperor5353 and lj905 like this.
  20. Does anyone know who cut side 2 of the corrected Love Gun? Thanks.

21. stinsojd

stinsojd Senior Member

It was re-cut by the same guy who cut Psycho Circus, The Elder, Alive III, and the 4 solo albums: Ian Sefchick at Capitol Studios. I don't think he has cut any others, but I'm just going from memory.

batman144144 likes this.
  22. batman144144

Do you prefer the original vinyl over the '97 CD Remasters?

23. candyflip69

candyflip69 What's good?!

Thank you - I wish everyone could demo these on such a setup, or at the least, let us know what they are demoing on when they comment.

So you seem to be saying that NONE of the reissues match the US originals (save that one Japanese version)?
    Even (and especially for me), Destroyer?

24. batman144144

A lot of members list their gear in their profiles. Oddly enough, I have pretty much the opposite experience as lj.

Mij Retrac and 4stringking73 like this.
  25. batman144144

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.